Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Spike-in-Berlin

Trust me...people would watch. Especially if they started from Episode I and went in chronological order.

Think about it. The majority of the fans loathe Episode I. If they reimagined the "beginning" and then worked onto Episode II...by the time they got to Episodes IV thru VI people would be more comfortable with the new look/feel/story that is being told. Not a replacement, a reimagining.

Do I personally feel that they could do better than the originals? Maybe not A New Hope and Empire but Return of the Jedi could definitely be better.

(Remember...there were people that said that nobody could do better than Connery's Bond or Nicholson's Joker...but some would say that happened.)

The James Bond movies take place in the real world, a sci-fi-fantasy world with hundreds of charcters from different species, a dozen planets etc. ist a complete different story, especially if the images have become an imediately recognizable part of the pop culture of the entire western world. You have to agree that you cannot compare that with the replacement of a single actor.

zero creativity

Ignore DVC or not, but I think a Star Wars themed resort would be awesome and do well. I think it could be set up like some of the hotels where different wings or buildings are themed to different places in the Star Wars Universe.
Would a current resort be good to integrate Star Wars rooms like they did the Pirates or the Princess rooms?
Maybe they could turn river country into Dagobah.

Spike-in-Berlin

I really hope the new films are consistent with the Expanded Universe. I would hate to see stories and characters that I connected with become obsolete.

Lucas totally ignored the EU when he created the sequels and I am pretty sure that the new creators of Episode VII will do the same.

Timothy_Q

Disney has played pretty hands off with both Pixar and Marvel in their localized methods of outreach and styles.. I think there is pretty good precedence to believe that will be the same.

Disney doesn't mess with the creative process at Pixar, true, but they demand they do sequels from time to time. Cars 2 and Monsters U wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Would a current resort be good to integrate Star Wars rooms like they did the Pirates or the Princess rooms?
Maybe they could turn river country into Dagobah.

River country is sad and creepy now:

Just for the record I do not encourage trespassing and don't know the people in this video. Just found it with a google search.

IMHO they need to do a whole resort not just some rooms in a current resort

G00fyDad

Not true, when the movie was first released in 1977 it was called just "Star Wars". Neither "A New Hope". nor "Episode 4" appeared in the opening crawl, these were added in later releases.

Thank you. I did not know that. I always thought that it was A new Hope from the beginning. But, then again, I did see it for the first time when I was 5. LOL

culturenthrills

Since you foolishly mentioned the 'Star Wars' opening, I remember being dragged to an opening day (at my local theater, not May 25, which was only limited engagement) 10 AM showing of 'Star Wars' by my brother-in-law (a Sci Fi fanatic). I said no one goes to a movie at 10 in the morning, didn't even know they showed movies at 10 AM. My brother-in-law told me I didn't understand, this was a special showing. He said this movie was going to be big, really big. There were maybe 20-30 people in the theater.

The opening music was cool, was absolutely wowed by the size of the first Star Destroyer, but what was it with all these robots. Where are the people? I didn't even start to like the movie until Luke finally appeared on the screen.

I think we stayed for 3 showings that day. Even in the days before cell phone, word-of-mouth got out quickly. I remember people on the pay phones (remember those?) calling their friends to come to the movie. The last showing we stayed for was packed. :)

P.S. Sorry for the thread drift; reliving my youth.

I still remember being 6 years old in 1977 and seeing the trailer before a movie for the first time and remembering not having seen anything like that. I remember seeing the movie and just being in awe of what I just saw and after it was over with begging my parents to see it again. And I would see it again and again.

I ended up seeing it 13 times over a year or so. It played for so long at our little 3 screen theater. Then it left for a few months and then came back for another run.

It was the first thing that really imprinted on me and I have been a fan ever since. All I want is a good director and writer who love the SW world to take a stab at it. We have seen lately when you get people who really love and care about the characters and universe they are working on we get good movies.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Give Brad Bird whatever he wants to direct these new movies.

HMF

Lucas totally ignored the EU when he created the sequels and I am pretty sure that the new creators of Episode VII will do the same.
Coruscant, Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos beg to differ. I mean sure, The Boba Fett-Jaster Mereel connection and other small things were changed,But those were easily retconed but if the new movies say that the Vong war and all the other stories that unfolded along the ensuing 35 years after Jedi never happened, There are going to be some pretty unhappy fans. After all they spent 3 plus decades building this Universe, It would be wise to expand on it instead of trying to replace it.

WDW1974

We must be careful to keep from assuming that acquiring Lucasfilm is the panacea to Disney's problems. They are much more deeply-rooted than that. Until we see a major management and culture change within the company, I'm afraid that we'll be stuck with bread and (Storybook) circuses, or rather, long periods of time punctuated by minor expansions, whilst the nickel-and-diming, outsourcing, and cutbacks we've come to experience at the parks continue. This is not something that a walk-through Pandora or Dagobah could ever fix.

Great post and point.

I think the fans thinking and dreaming of parks loaded with Lucas properties need only look at Marvel and Disney's history (especially at WDW) of adding things only when absolutely necessary (after years of arguing amongst themselves about it).

And the idea that one franchise, Star Wars or not, will solve the ills of the Studios is laughable. Just look at how well the Avengers did and how very little else did (high hopes for Wreck-It-Ralph though that will count in the new fiscal year).

WDW1974

Speaking for myself, I've always considered Star Wars an action driven space opera of sorts. Heavy on action and lean towards fantasy. Star Trek has been more story driven with a emphasis on interpersonal relationships and philosophical issues. I believe the chemistry of characters/actors in Star Trek have always been it's strongest asset, especially the original series.

I love both franchises, both are filled with iconic characters and memorable stories. For theme park value and pure entertainment, I go with Star Wars. If I'm in the mood for a more thoughtful form of passing the time, it's Star Trek.

I have never seen Star Trek content that's been unwatchable. Even the last two films with TNG crew, which had TV like budgets and played like expanded TV episodes, were still decent. Star Wars has had unwatchable films two of the last three times. And many fans have issues with The Clone Wars, I don't know as I'm not familiar with it.

Star Trek tackles tough issues and has been doing so since the 60s, all while giving us one of film's most entertaining heros in James T. Kirk.

The characters of SW have always been paper thin. There's almost no development at all, which made the last three films all the more laughable since they were supposed to make us feel for Anakin as he became Vader. Nope. Didn't happen.

WDW1974

Disney has played pretty hands off with both Pixar and Marvel in their localized methods of outreach and styles.. I think there is pretty good precedence to believe that will be the same.

Yes ... yet interesting that the two men in the company with power who most want to see Iger gone happen to head Pixar and Marvel.

Read into that what you will.

Magenta Panther

Great post and point.

I think the fans thinking and dreaming of parks loaded with Lucas properties need only look at Marvel and Disney's history (especially at WDW) of adding things only when absolutely necessary (after years of arguing amongst themselves about it).

And the idea that one franchise, Star Wars or not, will solve the ills of the Studios is laughable. Just look at how well the Avengers did and how very little else did (high hopes for Wreck-It-Ralph though that will count in the new fiscal year).

It already looks like "Ralph" will be a big hit. And that makes me VERY happy. Hey, Robert Iger, lookie lookie, a blockbuster Disney movie with characters created in-house instead of off-brand characters bought elsewhere! "Ralph" will do better in three days than "The Muppets" did in five. Will that impress Iger? Nah. Lion King's reissue scored over 100 million (more than "The Muppets" took in stateside), yet there's not a peep about a dark ride or new attraction based on it. Iger's still convinced that Disney can't create new properties that are as good as something somebody else created a long time ago. What a twit.

stevehousse

What a cool concept of a complete transformation of Epcot into Star Wars World!!! Refurb spaceship earth like that photo. The theme of future world would be a representation of how technology and science exist in Star Wars aka the future. And then world showcase could be turned into various Star Wars planets. With added rides an attractions, and rethemed restaurants!

This is ridiculous i know, but that picture got me thinking...

HMF

What a cool concept of a complete transformation of Epcot into Star Wars World!!! Refurb spaceship earth like that photo. The theme of future world would be a representation of how technology and science exist in Star Wars aka the future. And then world showcase could be turned into various Star Wars planets. With added rides an attractions, and rethemed restaurants!

This is ridiculous i know, but that picture got me thinking...
As a Star Wars and Epcot fan, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

StageFrenzy

It already looks like "Ralph" will be a big hit. And that makes me VERY happy. Hey, Robert Iger, lookie lookie, a blockbuster Disney movie with characters created in-house instead of off-brand characters bought elsewhere! "Ralph" will do better in three days than "The Muppets" did in five. Will that impress Iger? Nah. Lion King's reissue scored over 100 million (more than "The Muppets" took in stateside), yet there's not a peep about a dark ride or new attraction based on it. Iger's still convinced that Disney can't create new properties that are as good as something somebody else created a long time ago. What a twit.

I think Ralph will "wreck"* the box office this year, with the success of Cars land and probable Ralph, I believe Lassie is looking pretty good right now

*in a good way

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom