Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It was never installed with a gun, so I don't think it's guest feedback... just CYA. Hopefully, the PC thing doesn't get too far... say goodbye to build-your-own lightsaber! All those kids walking around pretending that they can chop people in half with a flick of the wrist? The horror! Won't someone think of the children?!?

I am thinking it's not political correctness since the painting of him in the tavern still has him holding a gun.

CinematicFusion

Yeah, but you can take the same idea and film it a bunch of different ways; it can turn out great or terrible. It's the difference between the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!" in Ep III and Han Solo's stoic grimace as he's frozen into carbonite. I don't care if he wrote the story treatment, or picked the director, or that he almost had a heart attack... he only directed A New Hope; it is not true in any way to say that the OT was "all his". And I think the "I love you." "I know." was an ad lib from Harrison Ford, not anyone's "idea" but his. I think Irvin Kershner talks about it on the megadocumentary that was packaged with the Blu-rays.

I agree with you 100 percent. Except I still believe all of Star Wars was his up until the point he sold it. All the choices for the overall direction. His choice to direct and write the prequels showed his weaknesses and his strengths. He was not a great director or writer anymore. Coming off American graffiti and Star Wars he was the top writer/director in Hollywood with two best director/best picture nominations in a row. He was so good at knowing what a story needed he hired a unknown in kershner. It was a stroke of genius. He could have directed himself, or hired his buddy Spielberg...but he went with kershner. And the little details he brought to the table gave empire that extra magic. Kershner made a better film then lucas or Spielberg could have done...and both were at the top of their game at the time. Lucas also gambled huge on that film and used his money to finance empire for 30 million dollars. Had empire bombed, does ILM even exist? It was a huge success and Lucas bought his freedom.
But Star Wars was all his, warts and magic moments. All his decisions in the first trilogy were great. A walking upright dog, a moving trash can, the tin man from oz, using the muppets to create the magical yoda, his casting decisions. All worked.
The "I know" quote from empire, they filmed both scenes of Han saying the famous quote and Han saying " I love you". Kershner said the I know quote fit Han and Lucas was unsure so they tested it on an audience. The audience loved Han saying, "I know". The crowd went nuts....Lucas looked over to kershner and said you were right, it stays. And you are right, it was Fords Idea...just like it was Fords idea to just shoot the sword fighter in Raiders when they had this elaborate fight scene.
In the prequels it was just the opposite, most of his ideas just didn't play that we'll on all aspects of filmmaking.
I think its the difference of being a hungry director wanting to see your dream come to life as opposed to an older man who has everything. The hunger wasn't there and it showed in the prequels.

Beholder

I agree with you 100 percent. Except I still believe all of Star Wars was his up until the point he sold it. All the choices for the overall direction. His choice to direct and write the prequels showed his weaknesses and his strengths. He was not a great director or writer anymore. Coming off
American graffiti and Star Wars he was the top
writer/director in Hollywood with two best
director/best picture nominations in a row. He was
so good at knowing what a story needed he hired a
unknown in kershner. It was a stroke of genius. He
could have directed himself, or hired his buddy
Spielberg...but he went with kershner. And the
little details he brought to the table gave empire
that extra magic. Kershner made a better film
then lucas or Spielberg could have done...and both
were at the top of their game at the time. Lucas
also gambled huge on that film and used his money
to finance empire for 30 million dollars. Had
empire bombed, does ILM even exist? It was a
huge success and Lucas bought his freedom.

But Star Wars was all his, warts and magic moments. All his decisions in the first trilogy were
great. A walking upright dog, a moving trash can,
the tin man from oz, using the muppets to create
the magical yoda, his casting decisions. All
worked.

In the prequels it was just the opposite, most of his ideas just didn't play that we'll on all aspects
of filmmaking.

Thinks its the difference of being a hungry director wanting to see your dream come to life as
opposed to an older man who has everything. The
hunger wasn't there and it showed in the prequels.

I think the young, hungry to prove themselves, establish their own identity and tell their story, is a huge factor in where G. Lucas "changed". It's so true of so many in entertainment, that young, hungry actors, musicians, artist, or anyone who creates, tend to put out the groundbreaking, exciting stuff when "dreaming". George was young, full of energy and ideas, a was out to tell his story, his way. We get older, set in our ways, believe we have nothing to prove anymore, that "fire" just sort of dies out. There are exceptions of course, Alfred Hitchcock was making great stuff well into his older years, as was John Ford and even Spielberg today tells a decent story. Surrounding yourself with young, passionate people I think helps with keeping the fire burning. And checking ones ego at the door.

Uncle Lupe

1. Studios will say "Do [insert next technology here]" because it will increase prices of movie tickets.
2. I agree, 3DTV did not catch on yet but once technology that allows you to watch without the need for expensive glasses, it'll become more mainstream.
3. 3D won't be dropped but won't become the selling feature. (I am completely in agreement with you on 3D...it's a gimmick and nobody is really taking it seriously. Very few films actually benefit from 3D. (Avatar & Tron:Legacy are a couple)
4. There will be a time when the technology can't be utilized by up-converting film.
5. Aside from the rare exception, how many black & white blu-rays are flying off the shelves? Is it because the movies aren't good? No. Is it because people figure...well, why do I need Blu-Ray...it's a black and white film!
6. I thought the definition of a cult classic was a movie/show/album that only certain groups of people like...that weren't really popular movies in their time. Kind of like Donnie Darko. Star Wars/Back to the Future/ET...those were popular movies. Anyways...like I said, "Never Say Never" because Psycho was redone.

This could go back and forth forever but I'll end mine here. I've said it before but I hope they truly NEVER remake the original 3 films but I won't say that they never WILL.

If they make more movies like Piranha 3DD and include those in a bundle, BAM sales gold!

I hope that another film will result in a decent relaunch of Star Wars Battlefront.

doctornick

It was never installed with a gun, so I don't think it's guest feedback... just CYA. Hopefully, the PC thing doesn't get too far... say goodbye to build-your-own lightsaber! All those kids walking around pretending that they can chop people in half with a flick of the wrist? The horror! Won't someone think of the children?!?

I don't think it was removed for PC reasons necessarily -- just that having more barrels made sense for more water flow at the fountain. Gaston is still depicted with a gun in the large painting in Gaton's Tavern.

copcarguyp71

Just lifted this off of Facebook...
531006_549432285086229_415549388_n.png

Cosmic Commando

I agree with you 100 percent. Except I still believe all of Star Wars was his up until the point he sold it. All the choices for the overall direction. His choice to direct and write the prequels showed his weaknesses and his strengths. He was not a great director or writer anymore. Coming off American graffiti and Star Wars he was the top writer/director in Hollywood with two best director/best picture nominations in a row. He was so good at knowing what a story needed he hired a unknown in kershner. It was a stroke of genius. He could have directed himself, or hired his buddy Spielberg...but he went with kershner. And the little details he brought to the table gave empire that extra magic. Kershner made a better film then lucas or Spielberg could have done...and both were at the top of their game at the time. Lucas also gambled huge on that film and used his money to finance empire for 30 million dollars. Had empire bombed, does ILM even exist? It was a huge success and Lucas bought his freedom.
But Star Wars was all his, warts and magic moments. All his decisions in the first trilogy were great. A walking upright dog, a moving trash can, the tin man from oz, using the muppets to create the magical yoda, his casting decisions. All worked.
The "I know" quote from empire, they filmed both scenes of Han saying the famous quote and Han saying " I love you". Kershner said the I know quote fit Han and Lucas was unsure so they tested it on an audience. The audience loved Han saying, "I know". The crowd went nuts....Lucas looked over to kershner and said you were right, it stays. And you are right, it was Fords Idea...just like it was Fords idea to just shoot the sword fighter in Raiders when they had this elaborate fight scene.
In the prequels it was just the opposite, most of his ideas just didn't play that we'll on all aspects of filmmaking.
I think its the difference of being a hungry director wanting to see your dream come to life as opposed to an older man who has everything. The hunger wasn't there and it showed in the prequels.
I get what you're saying... I agree. It was still his because he was still the one making the decisions. The "bad George" was when he was making those decisions, but actually tried to do everything himself in the prequel trilogy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom