Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Atomicmickey

Great post and point.

I think the fans thinking and dreaming of parks loaded with Lucas properties need only look at Marvel and Disney's history (especially at WDW) of adding things only when absolutely necessary (after years of arguing amongst themselves about it).

And the idea that one franchise, Star Wars or not, will solve the ills of the Studios is laughable. Just look at how well the Avengers did and how very little else did (high hopes for Wreck-It-Ralph though that will count in the new fiscal year).

I may have misperceived some of your posts, but isn't the cornerstone of 'spirited change',
really one of personnel? The shuffling off/replacement/repurposing of those with the
'do little, market lots' philosophy?

I had this feeling from your posts that even before the Lucasfilm acquisition, this sort of movement
was happening inside the company. If that is indeed the case, the availability of Star Wars as
a creative opportunity within the parks could only accelerate these changes, as those hungry
to, um, do something move their rebel bases within range of the Death Star . . .

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Beholder

I have never seen Star Trek content that's been unwatchable. Even the last two films with TNG crew, which had TV like budgets and played like expanded TV episodes, were still decent. Star Wars has had unwatchable films two of the last three times. And many fans have issues with The
Clone Wars, I don't know as I'm not familiar with it.

Star Trek tackles tough issues and has been doing
so since the 60s, all while giving us one of film's
most entertaining heros in James T. Kirk.

The characters of SW have always been paper thin. There's almost no development at all, which made
the last three films all the more laughable since
they were supposed to make us feel for Anakin as
he became Vader. Nope. Didn't happen.

Whats scary to consider is George Lucas wanting to buy or at least secure the rights to create Star Trek before he did Star Wars. I shudder...

miles1

Admiral Snackbar... It's a Frappe!

Next door you can have the Admiral Snackbar restrooms... It's a crap!

I had to sign in just to groan/chuckle at this one.

To give you an idea of how big this is, we've been living with no power, heat or phones for 5 days and we still heard about this within hours. Couldn't wait to get on here to see everyone's reaction.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I had to sign in just to groan/chuckle at this one.

To give you an idea of how big this is, we've been living with no power, heat or phones for 5 days and we still heard about this within hours. Couldn't wait to get on here to see everyone's reaction.
Haha. Good point. We were without power listening to local news station on battery powered radio when I heard this news. I had to log on here with my phone to see reaction. I didn't want to waste battery, but I couldn't resist.

td1129

Great post and point.

I think the fans thinking and dreaming of parks loaded with Lucas properties need only look at Marvel and Disney's history (especially at WDW) of adding things only when absolutely necessary (after years of arguing amongst themselves about it).

And the idea that one franchise, Star Wars or not, will solve the ills of the Studios is laughable. Just look at how well the Avengers did and how very little else did (high hopes for Wreck-It-Ralph though that will count in the new fiscal year).

Serious question. Why aren't you CEO? You could teach them how to do social media, create a better franchise than Star Wars, and show them how to run a successful theme park. You're probably the most delusional person I've ever heard of.

SirLink

It already looks like "Ralph" will be a big hit. And that makes me VERY happy. Hey, Robert Iger, lookie lookie, a blockbuster Disney movie with characters created in-house instead of off-brand characters bought elsewhere! "Ralph" will do better in three days than "The Muppets" did in five. Will that impress Iger? Nah. Lion King's reissue scored over 100 million (more than "The Muppets" took in stateside), yet there's not a peep about a dark ride or new attraction based on it. Iger's still convinced that Disney can't create new properties that are as good as something somebody else created a long time ago. What a twit.

I would rather have more Muppets than more fancy morality based tales in fancy CG. One could argue it would of done better had Iger not pulled the initial relaunch of Kermits world tour.

Cosmic Commando

First off - JC was NOT a great movie. I watched and it had some nice parts but also some painful ones. The scenes on Earth I felt were actually more entertaining than the ones on Mars. The bottom line was that the movie lost hundreds of millions for Disney, including the foreign markets and it failed to launch a franchise.

Slim chance about another JC movie. I do agree that the marketing was poor - but a "great" movie would have overcome that. In the end, based on critic and audience opinion and box office numbers, JC was a disaster.
I had an interesting trajectory with "John Carter": I heard that Disney was making a big budget movie about it, read first 3/4 books, and then hated the movie because of the changes to the books. It did do pretty well overseas, but 1) I don't think Disney is bold enough to make a sequel and 2) for right now, they're sticking with the 8-10 films per year despite adding the Marvel and Star Wars and second Pixar film each year and Dreamworks... it's just damn crowded in that release schedule.

Cosmic Commando

From what I can tell GL will regard the EU as cannon until they conflict with what he wants to do. For example, he stated that Boba Fett is dead, regardless of what the EU says. I think he will honor the EU to a point, much like the 501st being mentioned in the Clone Wars Series, but he will not be bound by it and neither will his predecessors.

From a simple marketing standpoint, I can not see how characters like Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn or Jacen Solo could be ignored if they exist in the timeline of episodes 7-9, but for all we know they might go in the opposite direction of the Old republic and put episodes 7-9 3000 years ABY. As far as I know, nothing has been written past the Legacy war in 138 ABY. That would give them as clean of slate as possible.
If Episode VII used characters from the EU, wouldn't the author be owed a good chunk of change from anything involving their creations?

ParentsOf4

Serious question. Why aren't you CEO? You could teach them how to do social media, create a better franchise than Star Wars, and show them how to run a successful theme park. You're probably the most delusional person I've ever heard of.
I suggest you read "Disney War" or "Realityland". Both books will give you an interesting perspective of life at The Walt Disney Company (TWDC) behind the WDW façade. The books might give you a better appreciation of some of WDW1974's insight.

P.S. Right now there probably are about 100 top executives jockeying to replace Iger. I'm sure every one of those are 100% confident they could do a better job than Iger.;)

HMF

If Episode VII used characters from the EU, wouldn't the author be owed a good chunk of change from anything involving their creations?
If they adapt EU stories directly (Which I would not endorse) then maybe, However, I believe Characters, planets etc. are owned by Lucasfilm for example: if Jaina Solo appears in Episode VII I don't think that means that the author who wrote the book that she originated in would not get any screen credit since the character would be the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. That's why characters are re-used in stories by different authors without legal problems.

td1129

I suggest you read "Disney War" or "Realityland". Both books will give you an interesting perspective of life at The Walt Disney Company (TWDC) behind the WDW façade. The books might give you a better appreciation of some of WDW1974's insight.

P.S. Right now there probably are about 100 top executives jockeying to replace Iger. I'm sure every one of those are 100% confident they could do a better job than Iger.;)

And I'm sure wdw1974 is one of them.

HMF

Reading Disney War is a real eye-opener. It really shows you how much of Michael Eisner's legacy remains within WDC. The names of many of Eisner's top people are still within the company despite Iger's (arguably successful) attempts to try to make it look like they are a different company than they were 10 years ago. for example Iger himself had the number 2 spot in the company during the last years of Eisner, He was Company President and Chief Operating Officer for crying out loud. Eisner's CFO was Tom Staggs, In addition Iger's peace treaty with Roy E. Disney by making him Director Emeritus was actually an old Eisner idea that Iger used to bring Roy back into the company. As for the other top Eisner people such familiar names as Jay Rasulo, Judith Estrin, The list goes on and on. If you really think Iger has been trying to discard the post-Wells, Eisner mentality you wouldn't be able to tell from the people from that era who are still there in very prominent roles. Unless of course you think you can keep the same people around and expect a different result.

|Q|

I have never seen Star Trek content that's been unwatchable. Even the last two films with TNG crew, which had TV like budgets and played like expanded TV episodes, were still decent. Star Wars has had unwatchable films two of the last three times. And many fans have issues with The Clone Wars, I don't know as I'm not familiar with it.

I'm a long time trekker (i have a starfleet uniform in the closet, and i get my name from there too), but comeon, Nemesis was totally crap. Really awful movie (while Insurrection was bad but watchable). And don't get me started with the Shatner directed ST V. Ouch!

Q

Cmdr_Crimson

You know I just thought of something....Disney now owns Marvel & Lucasfilms..............
So when will we see that special Howard The Duck movie in 3D....
howardduck1.jpg

tumblr_mcmey1plbh1ry9hph.gif

CinematicFusion

It will be interesting to see how how Disney handles Star Wars fan films. Lucasfilm really embraced it even creating an offical Star Wars Fan Film Awards.

Yeah...I was one of those who won the trophy of c3po ans r2d2 eating popcorn and drinking a coke. That was a lot of fun going up to San Diego. Would love if Disney continued that awards show but as of this year....star wars fan film awards has been cancelled.
Disney could rally do something with that awards show at star war s weekends.

CinematicFusion

Whats scary to consider is George Lucas wanting to buy or at least secure the rights to create Star Trek before he did Star Wars. I shudder...

Lucas flame was burning bright in the 70s. People seem to forget that first trilogy was all his, he had complete control on concept to finished project.
Star Wars was so popular that after the huge bomb of Star Trek the motion picture they styled their next film the wrath of khan on the Star Wars success.

As a creative you can only burn so bright for so long....that was proven when George Lucas tried to do everything in the prequels. Turned out to be a mixed bag at best....though I did enjoy Revenge of the Sith.

HMF

As a creative you can only burn so bright for so long....that was proven when George Lucas tried to do everything in the prequels. Turned out to be a mixed bag at best....though I did enjoy Revenge of the Sith.
I actually enjoy the whole saga but if Disney wants to do some re-editing on Episode I I would be happy to take that job

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom