Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

EpcotFanForever

Why should it? It could have happened a decade ago but no one will pay for it.

Despite all the hoopla about the deal, Disney still need to pay for all these new attractions based on the franchise. Not something they've had a stellar record of doing in Orlando recently.

The franchise may be up to battling with Potter, but only if they have attractions that are also upto it. Leias Carnival Coaster and Vaders Spinner won't do it.
Yikes - what if they "Stich-ify" Vader? Ugh!

PeterAlt

Who here thinks the new movies will be like how Universal made Teminator 3 and up without James Cameron directing and writing them, but staying on board as creative consultant. Obviously, Universal put a lot of money into T3 and up and hired some good writers and directors to make them, but those movies just aren't the same without Cameron's active involvement in the project. Some how, I get the feeling that the new Star Wars movies will be the same. Disney will put a lot of money into them and hire good writers and directors, but they won't be the same without Lucas' hands-on involvement.

Or we could be pleasantly surprised!

Thoughts?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Who here thinks the new movies will be like how Universal made Teminator 3 and up without James Cameron directing and writing them, but staying on board as creative consultant. Obviously, Universal put a lot of money into T3 and up and hired some good writers and directors to make them, but those movies just aren't the same without Cameron's active involvement in the project. Some how, I get the feeling that the new Star Wars movies will be the same. Disney will put a lot of money into them and hire good writers and directors, but they won't be the same without Lucas' hands-on involvement.

Thoughts?
I think we stand a good chance of an improved product. GL is an incredible idea man, but his direction and dialog skills do leave a little to be desired. If the director and GL can get on the same page vision wise, Episodes 7-9 could be the best Star Wars movies we have ever seen.

Spike-in-Berlin

Thoughts?

The best Star Wars episode (Empire strikes back) was NOT directed by George Lucas!

prberk

That's what I was going to say. It seems that Empire really benefited from George allowing someone else to help mold and manifest his ideas into the actual film.

Probably a lot like a good lyricist working well with a good musician in partnership to make a great song, better than either could have made alone. (Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Lowe, Lieber and Stoller, McCartney and Lennon, etc.) Sometimes "singer-songwriters" work, but most people can use a good editor to really strengthen their work. Even Walt Disney himself worked best with a team (Ub Iwerks, Roy Disney, Mary Blair, Marc Davis, etc.) shaping and finalizing his dream.

G00fyDad

Thoughts?

You're right. Without GL the movies will not be the same. And thank God! I think that the mere fact that GL is not going to have anything to do with the new movies will only be an improvement. Can anyone say Jar Jar? WTH was he thinking?!? I remember telling my friend as we sat watching The Phantom Menace "We came to the midnight showing for this???"

Always remember..... HAN SHOT FIRST!! :D

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Thoughts?

To get an idea of how the new movies could work out, just look at the Clone Wars series. The series has a very strong creative team, and Lucas acts as a consultant. He doesn't write, direct or have day to day involvement in the episodes, but he does work with the team on ideas and provides guidance to the series. Personally I think the results are pretty successful. I think Lucas could have this same sort of involvement with the new movies.

tomman710

To get an idea of how the new movies could work out, just look at the Clone Wars series. The series has a very strong creative team, and Lucas acts as a consultant. He doesn't write, direct or have day to day involvement in the episodes, but he does work with the team on ideas and provides guidance to the series. Personally I think the results are pretty successful. I think Lucas could have this same sort of involvement with the new movies.

Exactly ... 1 episode of The Clone Wars is easily better than any of the prequels.

Stevek

I was under the impression that the Notorious GL had quite a bit of involvement as the series progressed. That being said, Filoni and team are more than capable of continue this series without his involvement.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was under the impression that the Notorious GL had quite a bit of involvement as the series progressed. That being said, Filoni and team are more than capable of continue this series without his involvement.

I think he has more involvement then he likely would in the new movies, bu no where near the level of involvment he had in the previous movies. I think Clone Wars is as close as we currently get to how things will probably work with the new movies.

Sorry, have to disagree. Revenge of the Sith was 90% great...the other two were a bit more challenging. I can pick out plenty of Clone Wars episodes that were far worse than the prequels. Just watch the "poison snapple" episode.

Yeah, that was a bad episode, they have definitly had a few dogs. Personally I think the story arc that just finished up was almost good enough to have been a movie.

Vader2112

I think we stand a good chance of an improved product. GL is an incredible idea man, but his direction and dialog skills do leave a little to be desired. If the director and GL can get on the same page vision wise, Episodes 7-9 could be the best Star Wars movies we have ever seen.
Lucas fortunately will only be a Creative Consultant on the film.

AndyMagic

Who here thinks the new movies will be like how Universal made Teminator 3 and up without James Cameron directing and writing them, but staying on board as creative consultant. Obviously, Universal put a lot of money into T3 and up and hired some good writers and directors to make them, but those movies just aren't the same without Cameron's active involvement in the project.

Terminator 3 was produced by Warner Bros. not Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom