Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

bsiev1977

Unfortunately to get the Star Wars Magic Band that little Billy wants so bad the parents have to agree to have a neural transmitter (The Magicural TransFunifier) implanted into your child's brain that will track their thought patterns and send signals when they need new products and merch and send slight electrical currents when they aren't processing Disney thoughts ... but the bands look really cool and they'll give you unlimited fast passes!! (Unlimited Fastpasses only accepted at Tiki Room, Stitch, and Sounds Dangerous (seasonally))
Hey, don't give away the evil secrets of the bands. You'll make the Illuminati very upset.

doctornick

Not really depending the nature of what Disney is doing with Star War attractions of overseas. The fact is not all international Disney parks have their Star Tours attractions update to Star Tours: The Adventure continues. It seems like Star Tours: The adventure continues is the only planned Star Wars attraction.

Disneyland Park Paris only had the original Star Tours, not Star Tours: The Adventure continues and that means means Disneyland Paris is due to get their Star Tours attraction updated. The other thing is Hong Kong Disney Disneyland doesn't have a Star Wars attraction yet and when the park does, it is expected to be Star Tours: The adventure continues when that happens.

There's been a lot of talk among insiders that, following the Lucasfilm acquisition, that Disney is looking to develop SW attractions for international parks. In fact, I believe Iger specifically said so in an interview. If it was just putting in Star Tours, then that could have been done without/regardless of the Lucasfilm purchase.

Hedwig's Keeper

If they do develop a Star Wars land or new attractions, I really want to see new ride technology and effects to compliment it. This is what Universal did by combining Harry Potter with the KUKA arm. Disney needs to be balanced and bold like this again if they really want such acquisitions to have a real impact in the theme parks.

The Empress Lilly

If they built a SW theme park, I'd want to move in and spend all of my money there.
29308307.jpg

awoogala

They would be stupid not to... so of course they will think about it, hint about it for 5 years, then maybe make something 10 years from now, when no one cares anymore...(well, we'll always care about star wars, but we will give up on disney caring!)

WDW1974

No. Not in the near future. Not rumour or opinion. Fact.

There will be Star Wars themed attractions coming to both MK's in China. ... I am sure maybe in a decade or even 5-6 years they'll start seriously thinking about something for DL and/or WDW. But not now ... no matter what happens with any film.

Obi Walt Kenobi

Disney is moving very fast and it seems they are putting all its weight behind these Star Wars films and I think it is likely and I'm hopeful they will be successful. It sure needs to be considering what Disney has invested in this. Taking in to account disneys recent past a successful film doesn't equal instant park presence. The recent Marvel film was a home run by most Standards yet nothing in any of the parks, overseas or the west coast. But I'm sure that Disney did not invest all this money and time not to put its newly acquired properties in its parks. Both Marvel and Star wars will be a big part of the Disney brand and eventually have a larger scale part in the parks. So one would think, only time will tell.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think it's better to ask this question again after we find out if the movies will be successful; did someone think of making a John Carter attraction a year and a half ago? Am I comparing apples with apples? nope. Does it prove my point? I think so

Don't think you can make that comparision. Very few people outside of hardcore sci-fi fans knew who John Carter was, whereas Star Wars has a proven track record and huge cultural significance. Even if the next movie didn't do well a Star Wars attraction would still be successful. Also, I think the next Star Wars movie to be released is about as sure a bet as you can get in Hollywood. It would have to be a failure of epic proportions to damage the popularity of the franchise. Look at episode I, it got a lot of negative backlash but it's still #5 in US box office gross.

lazyboy97o

Harry Knowles over at Ain't it Cool was actually saying yesterday that he was hearing of a Star Wars land going into DCA.
I know he's a big Disneyland fan, but I sprained an eye muscle rolling them so hard...
That apparently started or is being spread by some radio commentator out in California.

rle4lunch

Just read this article this morning on how Disney is expanding the Star Wars universe with planned standalone movies based on certain characters. I'm thinking that this could be the straw to break the blue cats back, as Disney is moving fast to capitalize on the Star Wars brand. Think about how good some of the atmosphere's from different planets would fit into DAK's overall scheme? Much better me thinks than Avatard.

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoff-movies-confirmed/

Shadowgate

people are too fast to jump on the Avatar land hate train

I myself loved the look of Avatar and think as a bases of a ride or rides it could be could but if you compare it to Star Wars there is no comparison specifically with depth and iconic characters, ships, worlds... There is so much more to identify with with Star Wars that isn't there with Avatar. As other have said I couldn't name any characters from Avatar but I would say most people you talked to could name at least 5 Star Wars characters.

So I don't hate Avatar but given the choice and what "I think" would be "better" for Disney would be Star Wars land over Avatar land.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just read this article this morning on how Disney is expanding the Star Wars universe with planned standalone movies based on certain characters. I'm thinking that this could be the straw to break the blue cats back, as Disney is moving fast to capitalize on the Star Wars brand. Think about how good some of the atmosphere's from different planets would fit into DAK's overall scheme? Much better me thinks than Avatard.

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoff-movies-confirmed/

I have said it before, but Star Wars doesn't fit in AK, just having an natural environment isn't enough to make it fit. If we are just talking about environment you could make an arguement that there should be an Incredibles attraction built in AK because a chunk of the movie takes place in a jungle. Avatar fits not only because of the beuatiful environment but the movie's central theme is the the preservation of the natrual work and that natural world plays a huge part in the story of the movie. It's not just an environment where the movie is taking place, it's an intergral part of the story.

rle4lunch

I have said it before, but Star Wars doesn't fit in AK, just having an natural environment isn't enough to make it fit. If we are just talking about environment you could make an arguement that there should be an Incredibles attraction built in AK because a chunk of the movie takes place in a jungle. Avatar fits not only because of the beuatiful environment but the movie's central theme is the the preservation of the natrual work and that natural world plays a huge part in the story of the movie. It's not just an environment where the movie is taking place, it's an intergral part of the story.

I see your lips moving but still can't hear the words. lol. kidding.

Seriously though, that argument doesn't hold water. Think about Endor, Tattooine, Degoba, Wookies, Ewoks, and all the environments to pull from. Much more diverse than one movie about floating Mountains. As much as the Avatar world is beautiful, there's much more to draw on from the Star Wars franschise.

twebber55

no matter how many times you state this some people (who didnt like the movie) wont be able to figure this out...easy connection between the movie and DAK

J03Y

Seriously though, that argument doesn't hold water. Think about Endor, Tattooine, Degoba, Wookies, Ewoks, and all the environments to pull from. Much more diverse than one movie about floating Mountains. As much as the Avatar world is beautiful, there's much more to draw on from the Star Wars franschise.

yeah, but those worlds aren't central points to the overall story and plot, it doesn't make sense to focus on that aspect of the Star Wars universe when it was never itself focus on by the very movies they were made for. it's pointless to do so, unless they do like what X-Men's doing and make the stand-alone movies that focus on the origins for certain characters, in which case they might be focusing on one world in a manner that concerns its wildlife.

Animal Kingdom is about wildlife, first and foremost. Star Wars was never about wildlife, it was about telling a dramatic story.

ulto22

Then you missed the whole point of what danlb_2000 said and completely misunderstand the themes and ideas surrounding Animal Kingdom.

Animal Kingdom is themed around the idea of animal and planetary conservation. While Avatar and Starwars are both Action movies, Avatar is clearly centered and themed around the same ideas that Animal Kingdom is based on.

Star Wars shares none of the ideas and is simply a SciFi Opera that would thematically crash (and burn) the Animal Kingdom.

It doesn't matter what anyone's opinions are on whether Avatar or Starwars deserves to be in which park, but it is fact that Avatar's theme and story is based on the ideals of the Animal Kingdom, hence why so many people compare it to Fern Gully.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom