Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

tomman710

no matter how many times you state this some people (who didnt like the movie) wont be able to figure this out...easy connection between the movie and DAK

While I guess Avatar's "story" (I won't get into the lack of story again) "fits" in DAK better than Star Wars ...

But Star Wars fits in DAK about as much as Monster's Inc does in Tomorrowland, The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in the middle of "the remote JUNGLES of Africa, South America, South Pacific, and Asia," a Speedway that is neither indicative of "tomorrow" or "fantasy" between those two lands, Captain EO, Chester & Hester's, etc ...

I think from a fan and ROI perspective what will be more popular? Star Wars. And since Disney already shows that "fit" is not super important then I'd say go with Star Wars.

twebber55

While I guess Avatar's "story" (I won't get into the lack of story again) "fits" in DAK better than Star Wars ...

But Star Wars fits in DAK about as much as Monster's Inc does in Tomorrowland, The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in the middle of "the remote JUNGLES of Africa, South America, South Pacific, and Asia," a Speedway that is neither indicative of "tomorrow" or "fantasy" between those two lands, Captain EO, Chester & Hester's, etc ...

I think from a fan and ROI perspective what will be more popular? Star Wars. And since Disney already shows that "fit" is not super important then I'd say go with Star Wars.
i get ya i really do but WDW already has a star wars presence in DHS..i mean a month is dedicated to star wars so its not like they re not doing anything and i think within 5 years you ll see some more after the movies are released

rle4lunch

Eh, I understand the whole conservation mumbo jumbo argument, but as others have said, it doesn't really matter much. Cuz DINOLAND's ridiculous 1950's sci-fi carnival theme fits in SO well with DAK??? Hogwash. Star Wars environments fit better than that cheap excuse of a park (that wouldn't even cut the mustard at a Six Flags or Uni for that matter).

DAK is sorely missing excitement. Dinosaur the ride pretty much sucks, Primeval Whirl is okay but needs to be rethemed, the river rapids is so short in comparison to other rapids rides (including the one out here at DCA). The whole feels half done when it comes to rides. The theming is great, EE is great, the safari is pretty great, and some of the shows are really good. And the food is pretty good. But it still doesn't constitute staying there all day.

Meanwhile, over in DHS, the Star Wars portion feels like it was shoved in as an afterthought. No room to grow. DAK has miles to grow if it wanted to. And don't give me that 'wetland preserve' crap argument either, it needs to update their CRAP rides with something that will draw a crowd. I was in the park at Christmastime a couple months ago and I walked on EE 3 times, walked on Kali Rapids, walked on Dinsosaur. The only ride that had a had a wait was Primeval Whirl (God knows why?@!?!?)

If I can walk on rides with no wait time in one of the busiest parts of the year, while it's nice, it's not good for the park. It means cutbacks, layoffs, less rides, etc., to Disney.
You can only walk around and look at monkeys for so long before you wish you had your money back and took your kids to the zoo.

All the while, DHS has ridiculous wait times throughout the day for a couple of exciting rides. If DAK had something else besides EE, it would help draw the overcrowded DHS and even the load share between the parks.

Eh, what do I know?

lazyboy97o

I have said it before, but Star Wars doesn't fit in AK, just having an natural environment isn't enough to make it fit. If we are just talking about environment you could make an arguement that there should be an Incredibles attraction built in AK because a chunk of the movie takes place in a jungle. Avatar fits not only because of the beuatiful environment but the movie's central theme is the the preservation of the natrual work and that natural world plays a huge part in the story of the movie. It's not just an environment where the movie is taking place, it's an intergral part of the story.
I disagree. I think what separates the mythical animals of Beastly Kingdom and Expedition Everest is a taste of reality. There was a time when we as humans considered these animals real. Expedition Everest asserts that the yeti IS real, that's what the museum is all about followed by our encounter. No sane adult ever thought the animals from any of these space films were ever real. We have no shared history with these creatures in which their reality affected our lives and culture. They have always been fake.

tomman710

i get ya i really do but WDW already has a star wars presence in DHS..i mean a month is dedicated to star wars so its not like they re not doing anything and i think within 5 years you ll see some more after the movies are released

Clearly I am not an Avatar fan, I do prescribe to the belief that if it is Avatar or nothing I choose Avatar ... I ALSO believe that the IP does not have to be stellar or popular or relevant to have a great attraction (which I believe Avatar is neither stellar, popular, or relevant but could make a good attraction) ... HOWEVER ... my biggest fear is that that they build Avatarland it's met with a resounding shrug potentially due to value engineering or perhaps the property itself and then that is used with NFE and ST2 as indicators that huge investments in attractions don't work. Sure it's all speculation at this point EXCEPT for one element ... there is no question SW is more popular than Avatar ever will be ... so with that thought in mind ...

I want the sure fire hit to prove them wrong and force them to build more.

Of course I know that's all a dream.

Timekeeper

tumblr_mdlzqlV3Ie1qhrokro1_500.png

disneyeater

I myself loved the look of Avatar and think as a bases of a ride or rides it could be could but if you compare it to Star Wars there is no comparison specifically with depth and iconic characters, ships, worlds... There is so much more to identify with with Star Wars that isn't there with Avatar. As other have said I couldn't name any characters from Avatar but I would say most people you talked to could name at least 5 Star Wars characters.

So I don't hate Avatar but given the choice and what "I think" would be "better" for Disney would be Star Wars land over Avatar land.

The only place star wars has more depth over avatar is characters and story. As far as the land or world you would enter, I would take Pandora (if done right) over Hoth or any other Star Wars location any day of the week, despite my affinity for the movies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Eh, I understand the whole conservation mumbo jumbo argument, but as others have said, it doesn't really matter much. Cuz DINOLAND's ridiculous 1950's sci-fi carnival theme fits in SO well with DAK??? Hogwash. Star Wars environments fit better than that cheap excuse of a park (that wouldn't even cut the mustard at a Six Flags or Uni for that matter).

DAK is sorely missing excitement. Dinosaur the ride pretty much sucks, Primeval Whirl is okay but needs to be rethemed, the river rapids is so short in comparison to other rapids rides (including the one out here at DCA). The whole feels half done when it comes to rides. The theming is great, EE is great, the safari is pretty great, and some of the shows are really good. And the food is pretty good. But it still doesn't constitute staying there all day.

Meanwhile, over in DHS, the Star Wars portion feels like it was shoved in as an afterthought. No room to grow. DAK has miles to grow if it wanted to. And don't give me that 'wetland preserve' crap argument either, it needs to update their CRAP rides with something that will draw a crowd. I was in the park at Christmastime a couple months ago and I walked on EE 3 times, walked on Kali Rapids, walked on Dinsosaur. The only ride that had a had a wait was Primeval Whirl (God knows why?@!?!?)

If I can walk on rides with no wait time in one of the busiest parts of the year, while it's nice, it's not good for the park. It means cutbacks, layoffs, less rides, etc., to Disney.
You can only walk around and look at monkeys for so long before you wish you had your money back and took your kids to the zoo.

All the while, DHS has ridiculous wait times throughout the day for a couple of exciting rides. If DAK had something else besides EE, it would help draw the overcrowded DHS and even the load share between the parks.

Eh, what do I know?

So just because DAK has one poorly themed area we should accept a continued errosion of it's theme? Of the four WDW parks I think DAK has the most cohesive theme and I would hate to see that lost.

I agree that DAK needs something, and I think if properly executed Avatar land would be a great addition. Do you really think if Avatar is canceled that it will lead to a fix for AK's problem's any sooner? If they cancel Avatar we will be back to square one and could be looking at 2020 before we get a major new edition there.

Maerj

Pretty much sums it up!

What I would like to see happen is to have different lands but each on themed to a different SW world. Not specific attractions based on any event per se, but attractions based off of things in that world. Of course you'd have a Cantina restaruant and other things based off of specific things from the films. But it would be set up in a way that guests would go in and have their own adventure, basically like writing their own story in that universe.

Genie of the Lamp

With or without Avatar, AK needs more attractions that are ANIMAL related/focused. The great thing here in this case is that they have the land to do/expand it since it's the biggest park. Whether it's IP related (TLK,JB) or not (rumored Australia/NZ land, Beastly Kingdom), AK needs attractions where the theme of the ride and the purpose of the ride have to relate to animals. Problem their you run into is that the general public will just assume it's a public zoo with rides and maybe not take it as seriously like they do right now and treat it like a 1/2 day park , but it's the way it would have to executed/done. But to get back to thread related topic, would definitely perfer SWL in AK over Avatar, but SWL needs to go in DHS, not DAK. Avatar does have that visual stunningness to it's plate so it can definitely work well if executed properly if it happens.

Bparso87

Just read this article this morning on how Disney is expanding the Star Wars universe with planned standalone movies based on certain characters. I'm thinking that this could be the straw to break the blue cats back, as Disney is moving fast to capitalize on the Star Wars brand. Think about how good some of the atmosphere's from different planets would fit into DAK's overall scheme? Much better me thinks than Avatard.

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoff-movies-confirmed/
Yes there will be stand alone movies with the all the episodes. The first one is a supposed to be yoda. They have also talked about a fett movie and a Jabba the Hutt movie. This will let them put movies out every year and not rush the episodes. I hear as a rumor zack Snyder will direct a stand alone film.

rle4lunch

So just because DAK has one poorly themed area we should accept a continued errosion of it's theme? Of the four WDW parks I think DAK has the most cohesive theme and I would hate to see that lost.

I agree that DAK needs something, and I think if properly executed Avatar land would be a great addition. Do you really think if Avatar is canceled that it will lead to a fix for AK's problem's any sooner? If they cancel Avatar we will be back to square one and could be looking at 2020 before we get a major new edition there.

yes.

rle4lunch

The only place star wars has more depth over avatar is characters and story. As far as the land or world you would enter, I would take Pandora (if done right) over Hoth or any other Star Wars location any day of the week, despite my affinity for the movies.

Depth and Story pretty much encompass the land(s) or world(s) you know?

Festivus

Yes there will be stand alone movies with the all the episodes. The first one is a supposed to be yoda. They have also talked about a fett movie and a Jabba the Hutt movie. This will let them put movies out every year and not rush the episodes. I hear as a rumor zack Snyder will direct a stand alone film.
I'm hoping for a stand alone Obi-Wan film that takes place in between E3 and E4 where he is watching over Luke from afar on Tattooine and running interference with the Empire to protect him. They could build a back story about why Owen Lars and he don't get along and why Lars refers to Kenobi as "crazy old wizard". Maybe there would be a 10 year old Luke involved who visits Obi-Wan occasionally. Just an idea...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom