Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

tomman710

No offense to the new poster (finally one who doesn't appear to be a troll), but it would be helpful if newbies had a post that they had to read before posting that told them things like: check around the site before starting a thread because what you want to talk about or ask about has likely already been discussed elsewhere. It just would be easier for everyone.

And, no, there are no plans for the near future (about five years) that include any Star Wars attractions here or in Anaheim. China will see them, though. And DLP's Star Tours ride (the only one that is an orignal) will be updated likely in 2014.

@WDW1974 When you say "attractions" does this include not even moving Jedi to the Sounds Dangerous building and/or adding a Cantina Restaurant?

Californian Elitist

I can't imagine buying something that huge and NOT doing any park expansions with it. But I have no doubt it will take years to get there. Marvel is theirs now too and I remember having this conversation when that happened, and nothing has come to fruition as of yet. But I do look forward to when it happens with both franchises!

And I do have to agree, if we all took the time to search previous posts, there wouldn't be anything new. It's all been talked about before!

Did you know that WDW is forbidden from using Marvel for any future attractions?

Californian Elitist

I did not!

:( Yeah, WDW is in contract and agreement with Universal Orlando. They're forbidden to use any of the characters USO is using in their parks, including any of the characters associated with those characters, if that makes sense? For example, there's a Hulk ride at IoA. Hulk is an Avenger, and he's linked to many other characters, like Thor and Captain America. WDW wouldn't be able to use Hulk, Thor, Captain America, etc.. The Disneyland Resort is the only American resort that can rightfully use Marvel in the parks, since Universal Hollywood is no longer using them.

dopeylover

:( Yeah, WDW is in contract and agreement with Universal Orlando. They're forbidden to use any of the characters USO is using in their parks, including any of the characters associated with those characters, if that makes sense? For example, there's a Hulk ride at IoA. Hulk is an Avenger, and he's linked to many other characters, like Thor and Captain America. WDW wouldn't be able to use Hulk, Thor, Captain America, etc.. The Disneyland Resort is the only American resort that can rightfully use Marvel in the parks, since Universal Hollywood is no longer using them.

That makes sense- I was wondering how that was going to happen w/ UNI right down the road.

And that contract ends in 2018, correct?

Patricia Melton

I can't imagine buying something that huge and NOT doing any park expansions with it. But I have no doubt it will take years to get there. Marvel is theirs now too and I remember having this conversation when that happened, and nothing has come to fruition as of yet. But I do look forward to when it happens with both franchises!

And I do have to agree, if we all took the time to search previous posts, there wouldn't be anything new. It's all been talked about before!

You know what, I really don't know what they should do with Marvel.

I don't think it fits in the current parks at all. The only place I think they could do something with it that would make sense would be in DCA. I think they could completely build a Marvel land there like they built Carsland.

I know the rumor is that Marvel is coming to Tomorrowland, but I really hope it doesn't. I guess the "Stark Expo" thing could work thematically, but I really just want Marvel to have its own park and be more of a thrill rides park and a third gate in California.

For those who don't know, the Marvel purchase had a requirement that Disney can't use Marvel characters in Florida because Universal already had them at Islands of Adventure. So the only place Disney can use Marvel is in California or in the overseas parks.

I think that Marvel is different than Star Wars. I think we might see a larger presence of Star Wars at the parks than before. Disney brought Marvel mostly because, as demonstrated by the Avengers, the movies will make Disney a fortune. Star Wars, however, will help a ton at the Parks. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a big part of the reason Disney payed 4 billion dollars for Lucasfilm was for an expanded presence at the parks.

Californian Elitist

I think that Marvel is different than Star Wars. I think we might see a larger presence of Star Wars at the parks than before. Disney brought Marvel mostly because, as demonstrated by the Avengers, the movies will make Disney a fortune. Star Wars, however, will help a ton at the Parks. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a big part of the reason Disney payed 4 billion dollars for Lucasfilm was for an expanded presence at the parks.

That's not necessarily true. Apparently Disney has already come up with ideas for Marvel third park for Disneyland, as well as an Iron Man attraction in Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

saxamoophone

Good find.

Yeah, the only way I see Universal/Comcast letting go of the rights to Marvel is if Comcast sold the parks to Disney. Despite what many insiders thought, Comcast seems happy to be in the themepark business (for now). Then again, Disney did help Universal set up their organization structure for Universal Orlando to match Disney Worlds for a reason ;).

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The Marvel movies are currently making Disney a lot of money, but once the new Star Wars films hit the theaters they will be making a ton of money off those also.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks, there were a lot of comments between the Original and your post, I was just trying to figure out what you were responding too. Now just one more clarification, by OP do you mean post #1, some 1857 posts ago? :)
Aha. Confused myself for a bit there. I answered what is now post 1813 in this thread. The question (1813) was started as a new thread until it got merged with this one. So now its a bit lost in the other posts!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom