Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

flynnibus

Premium Member
First of All Aayla Secura appeared in Episodes II and III, Second of all Prior to the release of Episode I the EU avoided that time period altogether. I strongly feel that certain EU elements and essential characters should be in the new films. However the story should be original but be consistent with what already exists to ensure a believable universe. If they suddenly declare all EU material null & void a good chunk of the fanbase (myself included) will be very angry.

It's not about declaring the EU null&void... but Lucas has generally treated EU as 'separate, but compatible'. Separate also meaning.. not for his use. Basically he would allow extensions around what he did, but he didn't consider the EU his.

Kamikaze

It's not about declaring the EU null&void... but Lucas has generally treated EU as 'separate, but compatible'. Separate also meaning.. not for his use. Basically he would allow extensions around what he did, but he didn't consider the EU his.

Regardless of how Lucas felt (and he had no plans to do VII, VIII, IX because if he did, he would have blocked a time period from EU use, like he did with anything before IV), the EU is canon.

HMF

Regardless of how Lucas felt (and he had no plans to do VII, VIII, IX because if he did, he would have blocked a time period from EU use, like he did with anything before IV), the EU is canon.
I believe the way it works is if Lucas himself wants to change something, he can (for better or worse) but all others are bound by the EU for consistency and I hope it stays that way.

flynnibus

Premium Member

And Lucas can overwrite canon and has.. canon adapts to his universe, not the other way around. And with Lucas's handpicked people in charge, and Lucas still around... I don't think there is any question on whose say is final.

jdmdisney99

And Lucas can overwrite canon and has.. canon adapts to his universe, not the other way around. And with Lucas's handpicked people in charge, and Lucas still around... I don't think there is any question on whose say is final.
Right! I'm pretty sure there's no question about Bob Iger! ;)

HMF

My view is that if it's been approved as cannon, Even Lucas should have to honor it unless it is minor enough to be retconned, . I don't like it when you have multiple universes and continuities like in comics and film adaptations, I like having a complete consistent believable universe which is why I am a fan.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My view is that if it's been approved as cannon, Even Lucas should have to honor it unless it is minor enough to be retconned, . I don't like it when you have multiple universes and continuities like in comics and film adaptations, I like having a complete consistent believable universe which is why I am a fan.

I don't like the multiple generation type stuff either... but unless you read everything, the current SW situation is kind of the best compromise. 'I control my world... you like to attach yourself to my world.. but I don't specifically adhere to your world'. The SW Canon is setup to respect Lucas's line (G) as more authoritative.. but its a model that allows for greater expansion and content then if there was only G canon.

HMF

I don't like the multiple generation type stuff either... but unless you read everything, the current SW situation is kind of the best compromise. 'I control my world... you like to attach yourself to my world.. but I don't specifically adhere to your world'. The SW Canon is setup to respect Lucas's line (G) as more authoritative.. but its a model that allows for greater expansion and content then if there was only G canon.
I understand but I don't want characters and situations I have an attachment to written out of existence with the new films, My view is if you put the brand name on it and approve it you should adhere to it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It really is a trade off. If you try to have everything be consistent you end up with the considerable burden of making sure every work of Star Wars material written is consistent with every other word. This would tend to impair author's ability to write freely and possibly reduce creativity. On the other hand it is nice to have a universe that is totally consistent.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
For example, Han shooting first...
Lucas overwrote his own canon

Kamikaze

Examples of when he's changed things in the post OT era, please.

Kamikaze

It really is a trade off. If you try to have everything be consistent you end up with the considerable burden of making sure every work of Star Wars material written is consistent with every other word. This would tend to impair author's ability to write freely and possibly reduce creativity. On the other hand it is nice to have a universe that is totally consistent.

They haven't had much of a problem to this point. Only the PT threw some changes at things in the EU. But the novels and other stories themselves are pretty consistent - with the exception of Dark Empire.

Spike-in-Berlin

First of All Aayla Secura appeared in Episodes II and III, Second of all Prior to the release of Episode I the EU avoided that time period altogether. I strongly feel that certain EU elements and essential characters should be in the new films. However the story should be original but be consistent with what already exists to ensure a believable universe. If they suddenly declare all EU material null & void a good chunk of the fanbase (myself included) will be very angry.

I wrote MAJOR character, Secura is not one. Major characters are for example Obi Wan, Padme, Anakin, Palpatine, Yoda, Mace Windu, C3PO, etc. I wouldn't even consider Ki Adi Mundi to be a major character, not to talk about really minor ones Secura who has less than 3 minutes of screen time in two movies. To make it brief, I would be very surprised if we would see Jacen Solo, Mara Jade, Admiral Thrawn Joorus C'Baoth etc. And I don't think that they will care very much about consistence with the EU, especially not if it collides with so far secret basic storylines by Lucas for the episodes after ROTJ.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's money that doesn't leave the mother ship.. But wouldn't represent huge savings. The divisions still need to pay each other.

Yeah, the only money they would be saving is whatever Lucasfilm would have taken as profit on the project which in the grand scheme of Disney financials is probably a pretty small number.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom