Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That has been canonically established for about 20 years
To speak of Star Wars as containing canons is... a little ridiculous.

It's a work of fiction and not even all of it is by the same author...so there can be no canons.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's a work of fiction and not even all of it is by the same author...so there can be no canons.

But all EU works are supposed to be consistent.. by the process through with Lucas Licensing works and tracks the universe. But there still is a hierarchy of 'authority'

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But all EU works are supposed to be consistent.. by the process through with Lucas Licensing works and tracks the universe. But there still is a hierarchy of 'authority'

This! Lucasfilm maintains a database of all the story elements from pretty much every officially sanctioned source. They attempt to keep the EU consistent, but the movies are the top level canon and can override anything in the EU.

bubbles1812

You take a break for week to get some work done and you find that the internetz exploded (or well at least this thread ;)) upon your return...

My thoughts: Wow what a surprise move by Disney. Never saw Lucas selling his property to Disney the way he is. I honestly think that's a good thing, to a point anyways. I don't expect anything major to be added to the parks in the very near future, especially if Avatarland and Carsland are actually going forward (They are still in theory happening correct?). I think Disney will wait to see how the movies do. Now, a Star Wars movie seems to be a home run even without it having been developed yet at the same time, I think Disney is going to have to do better than the prequel trilogy to amp up demand for its presence in the parks or just in general. I'm guessing, at least on the first movie in the new planned trilogy, that they really need to have Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, and Mark Hamill back in some capacity. I did see an interview with Ford that said he would consider bringing Solo back to life. Think that's a good sign considering how much he dislikes his own character. I wouldn't expect Disney to add anything substantial before they see how the 7th movie does. I am very curious to see how this will all pan out. I loved the original trilogy (can still remember my dad all excited bringing the trilogy home on vhs! to show Christmas Eve day when I was 7 :)) and the prequels...I tolerate, don't hate them, but don't love them. I'm really hoping for "A New Hope" (pun intended) in terms of the franchise.

The Empress Lilly

thats' stoopid of cuorse Starwars contains canons in Empire alone the rbels have ion blasters at Hoth Base and then the stormtroopers bring a canon into the icecave tha'ts two canons and that's just the firts five minutes sheesh you people raelly do'nt pay attension you don;lt even knwo what a canon is do you go back to watching wrestling

it's a joke people, I'm beginning to think I need this disclaimer around here, people look at me funny.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
thats' stoopid of cuorse Starwars contains canons in Empire alone the rbels have ion blasters at Hoth Base and then the stormtroopers bring a canon into the icecave tha'ts two canons and that's just the firts five minutes sheesh you people raelly do'nt pay attension you don;lt even knwo what a canon is do you go back to watching wrestling

it's a joke people, I'm beginning to think I need this disclaimer around here, people look at me funny.
:D

Your post also deserves a "well played" for your disclaimer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In universe - he has someone write a story where he contradicts that Fett is alive.

Well he himself already contradicted previous material when he wrong the prequals regarding Fett.. and the deathstar itself.. so it wouldn't be the first time.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Retcon

Again - Lucas's will is above the EU.. hence the hierarchy system to start with. There are numerous quotes about how Lucas sees the EU vs his stories - separate.

Kamikaze

Well he himself already contradicted previous material when he wrong the prequals regarding Fett.. and the deathstar itself.. so it wouldn't be the first time.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Retcon

Again - Lucas's will is above the EU.. hence the hierarchy system to start with. There are numerous quotes about how Lucas sees the EU vs his stories - separate.

Yes, he changed the Fett origin story (which wasn't too fleshed out to begin with) and the history of the Death Star (which was adapted in the novelization and later Prequel-era books to fit both the movie and the Post OT-era books).
Basically the Death Star story comes down to both 'origins' being part of the overall history.

Also: Coruscant. Not Lucas' name. However, it was used in both the additional scene in RotJ and the prequels. 'Imperial Center' was what Lucas called it. It was created by Timothy Zahn in the Thrawn trilogy.

What the heck are you talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

Any 'universe' has canon and non-canon. Star Wars does an extremely great job at tying things together. Star Trek (even excluding the Abrams movies) does not. The ST universe is a disaster.

HMF

Yes, he changed the Fett origin story (which wasn't too fleshed out to begin with) and the history of the Death Star (which was adapted in the novelization and later Prequel-era books to fit both the movie and the Post OT-era books).
Basically the Death Star story comes down to both 'origins' being part of the overall history.

Also: Coruscant. Not Lucas' name. However, it was used in both the additional scene in RotJ and the prequels. 'Imperial Center' was what Lucas called it. It was created by Timothy Zahn in the Thrawn trilogy.
Exactly, almost every change made in the prequels were minor enough to be easily retconned. The 40 +years after Jedi do have many fully fleshed out stories so you have to be very careful not to contradict them. Personally, I think the safest place to put the 3 new films is sometime between the New Jedi Order novels and the Dark Nest novels.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Exactly, almost every change made in the prequels were minor enough to be easily retconned. The 40 +years after Jedi do have many fully fleshed out stories so you have to be very careful not to contradict them. Personally, I think the safest place to put the 3 new films is sometime between the New Jedi Order novels and the Dark Nest novels.

Using this post as an example, not really directed at you specifically.

For fans of the EU (I've only read a few novels, and many years ago). Would you rather
a) Have them keep the entire EU as some version of canon, with the knowledge that this could greatly limit the story that they can tell with SW7
or
b) Write the best SW7 story that they can, even if that means completely blowing away some of the EU in massive fashion (for example, Luke never marries or has a relationship with Mara Jade, or anyone for that matter, etc)

Personally, having not read much of the EU, I would rather them tell the best story possible, even at the expense of the EU, but I realize that my opinion is skewed in the fact that I have not read and/or loved much of what would be lost.

I'm just curious as to folks opinions here on this.

HMF

Using this post as an example, not really directed at you specifically.

For fans of the EU (I've only read a few novels, and many years ago). Would you rather
a) Have them keep the entire EU as some version of canon, with the knowledge that this could greatly limit the story that they can tell with SW7
or
b) Write the best SW7 story that they can, even if that means completely blowing away some of the EU in massive fashion (for example, Luke never marries or has a relationship with Mara Jade, or anyone for that matter, etc)

Personally, having not read much of the EU, I would rather them tell the best story possible, even at the expense of the EU, but I realize that my opinion is skewed in the fact that I have not read and/or loved much of what would be lost.

I'm just curious as to folks opinions here on this.
I want them to write the best possible story they can respecting what already exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom