Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

El Grupo

I know this may be blasphemous...

Has anybody thought about it though...

What if the new Disney/Star Wars era reimagined the franchise?
Maybe a reboot of the entire franchise. I know I know...Nothing could be better than the originals but many feel that the prequels were crap.

Doing what they did with Batman may not be extremely horrible and could maybe make it more of a cohesive story rather than how they needed to shoehorn things in to fit with the original three.

Am I saying that I'd like this? No...but I can't imagine that the possibility isn't there.

I suspect this would probably be like trying to re-imagine the entire Harry Potter series in a few years. Some Potter fans were apparently not happy with the how a book or two were portrayed in the movies. So, there is the possibility that another attempt could produce a better version from the critics perspective. However, my guess is that the general fan base would not respond all that well if it meant trying to revisit all the films and attempting to reinvent the magic.

flynnibus

Premium Member
a reboot really isn't much different than they did with Star Trek.. and that went over wonderfully..

..fans had become a bit apathetic to the last film attempts..
.. the cast was getting too old for the roles
... past franchise splinters had not managed to grab the mainstream's attention

The same scenarios hindering Star Trek align with Star Wars too

Now if anyone suggests just doing a re-make like hollywood is found of lately.. I'll drag you out and shoot you myself :)

RunnerEd

Just my take on the direction I would like to see the films go. I would love to see the story of the Galactic Empire's and Emperor Palpetine's rise to power told from their perspective, not the Republic's. As far as attractions, I would love to see the bike coaster themed to somewhere/something in the SW galaxy; the moon of Endor couldn't be the only place that the Empire used speeder bikes, right?

JCtheparrothead

What if the Carsland addition was never really going to be themed for Cars, same ride technology and similar layout but for Star Wars. The rumors for Carsland began right about that same time that WDI was out at Skywalker ranch. I am pretty sure that someone posted an idea about RSR ride tech with Pod Racers coverings...awesome. Mos Eisley is in the desert and the Cantina could easily take the place of Flo's diner. Easy to replicate and DL is happy about keeping their CarsLand and WDW gets Mos Eisley. A man can dream right!:D
I don't want to make people think that i am quoting myself to see my brilliance. I just wanted to have my explanation match the picture below. This is over at one of the local Star Wars web sites and was from Fan Celebration 5 in 2010. Does anyone agree that the top of the picture of the imaginary star wars park looks a little like rock work coloring and setup from CarsLand? Anyway just something interesting i found. Forgive me if it was already posted already.
swthemeparkprint.jpg

CinematicFusion

You are quite correct. Time will only tell which direction they choose.

Looks like for the movies they are using the George Lucas treatment for 7,8,9. Lucas has always been damn good at coming up with story concepts and being more of an executive producer. kathleen kennedy will produces these but Lucas is said to be her right hand man. It's the writing, dialogue and directing he was always shaky with. Very solid editor though. Good news he won't be doing any of his weaknesses this time.

Word on the street is the sci-fi Disney pic "1952" has always been the new Star Wars flick. Brad Bird the director, David Linelof writing story based on Lucas treatment. We will see if that turns out to be true. Sort of like how Return of the Jedi was called Blue Thunder during production.

Timothy_Q

its doubtful that we will see a group of films like that again, but just because the films made today aren't as good doesn't make them bad.

It's true. We probably we won't see another group of films like Disney's 2nd golden age again.

That's not to say we won't see another group of films that are great in another way, which we already have: Ratatouille, Wall-e, Up and Toy Story 3. They all have a depth hardly any Disney movie has.

We also won't ever see another group of films like Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, etc.

Each era creates their own kinds of movies. Great movies will always exist, they just won't be great for the same reasons as the ones before.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Looks like for the movies they are using the George Lucas treatment for 7,8,9. Lucas has always been damn good at coming up with story concepts and being more of an executive producer. kathleen kennedy will produces these but Lucas is said to be her right hand man. It's the writing, dialogue and directing he was always shaky with. Very solid editor though. Good news he won't be doing any of his weaknesses this time.

Word on the street is the sci-fi Disney pic "1952" has always been the new Star Wars flick. Brad Bird the director, David Linelof writing story based on Lucas treatment. We will see if that turns out to be true. Sort of like how Return of the Jedi was called Blue Thunder during production.

I got all excited by that Bird / 1952 rumor as well this morning. I've seen folks shooting it down quite a bit, like:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/debunked-brad-birds-1952-not-a-cover-for-star-wars-episode-vii/

At this point, who knows, both the speculation and the debunking are pretty much all just rumors anyway. I just would like to know one way or another if it takes Bird out of the running for Ep VII, because he's up at the top of my list for ones I'd like to see.

CinematicFusion

I got all excited by that Bird / 1952 rumor as well this morning. I've seen folks shooting it down quite a bit, like:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/debunked-brad-birds-1952-not-a-cover-for-star-wars-episode-vii/

At this point, who knows, both the speculation and the debunking are pretty much all just rumors anyway. I just would like to know one way or another if it takes Bird out of the running for Ep VII, because he's up at the top of my list for ones I'd like to see.

It's all speculation at this point but the time line makes sense for 1952 being Star Wars. Once Disney and LucasFillm agreement is finalized, I think we will find out.
It makes sense to keep it a secret right now. Brad Bird would be the top of my list.

My opinion... when this looked like a go for the sale of LucasFilm to Disney. Iger wanted to jump on Star Wars and get it into Theaters as soon as possible. If it is set to release in 2015. I think they already have a team together.

BigThunderMatt

It's all speculation at this point but the time line makes sense for 1952 being Star Wars. Once Disney and LucasFillm agreement is finalized, I think we will find out.
It makes sense to keep it a secret right now. Brad Bird would be the top of my list.

My opinion... when this looked like a go for the sale of LucasFilm to Disney. Iger wanted to jump on Star Wars and get it into Theaters as soon as possible. If it is set to release in 2015. I think they already have a team together.
Previous Star Wars films have seen a typical span of 3 years between release with a production time matching that. Phantom Menace began production in 1996 and was released summer 1999. Attack of the Clones started production shortly after release and was released summer 2002. Revenge of the Sith followed suit and was released summer 2005. If they are going to make a new trilogy, the timeline makes sense. If production has already started it will be out by summer 2015 with episodes VIII and IX being out in 2018 and 2021 respectively. Meanwhile, if they continue 3D re-releasing the previous films, they'll be raking in the cash on those.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, I was just thinking, and I'd love to see the reaction of this on this topic. It combines a few of folks favorite things together.

How many of you would buy DVC in a Star Wars themed DVC resort?
The Villas at Endor / Mos Eisley / Coruscant / Kashyyyk / ...

Honestly, I'm not trying to troll here or anything, but can't you just see them doing this?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly, I'm not trying to troll here or anything, but can't you just see them doing this?

No - because resort themes must be very very very time resilent. DVCs are sold for upwards of 50 years!

No matter how strong the franchise... locking it in for that long alienates buyers and is a risky proposition

Spike-in-Berlin

I know this may be blasphemous...

Has anybody thought about it though...

What if the new Disney/Star Wars era reimagined the franchise?
Maybe a reboot of the entire franchise. I know I know...Nothing could be better than the originals but many feel that the prequels were crap.

Doing what they did with Batman may not be extremely horrible and could maybe make it more of a cohesive story rather than how they needed to shoehorn things in to fit with the original three.

Am I saying that I'd like this? No...but I can't imagine that the possibility isn't there.

As far as that pic above...I like it but I'd like to see them do something like they have at Imagination.
Have a theater with an updated 4D movie...and then located in the same building, a Muppets dark ride spoofing the movies.

That IS blasphemous. You can reimagine Battlestar Galactica, you obviously can reimagine the James Bond movies, Spiderman and Batman but I am pretty sure you cannot reimagine Star Wars. It's unique. I wouldn't watch it and I am quite sure a lot of fans would feel the same.

jam814

Interesting. 1952 intrigued me. brad bird is win and lindelof was created one of my favorites in lost

CinematicFusion

Previous Star Wars films have seen a typical span of 3 years between release with a production time matching that. Phantom Menace began production in 1996 and was released summer 1999. Attack of the Clones started production shortly after release and was released summer 2002. Revenge of the Sith followed suit and was released summer 2005. If they are going to make a new trilogy, the timeline makes sense. If production has already started it will be out by summer 2015 with episodes VIII and IX being out in 2018 and 2021 respectively. Meanwhile, if they continue 3D re-releasing the previous films, they'll be raking in the cash on those.

That's what makes me think a story has already been developed and they must really like George Lucas's Treatment idea for the new trilogy.

If no ground work has been done yet and they are starting with just a treatment and no writer or director on board yet...they just have 2.5 years (release May 2015?)to get a huge movie like Star Wars done. Ratatouille already had the basic script in 2005 when Brad Bird was approaced to direct. The movie came out in 2007.
For Pirates, Gore Verbinski singed to direct in June of 02 and movie came out in June 03?

So it is in the right time frame to get a big movie out there. But with all the special effects and post production work that is done on a Star Wars film could they film and complete it in a years time without the movie feeling rushed?

My gut is they already have a solid story in place and the writer and director attached working on the details of how to shoot the film. Just my opinion.

WDWFREAK53

That IS blasphemous. You can reimagine Battlestar Galactica, you obviously can reimagine the James Bond movies, Spiderman and Batman but I am pretty sure you cannot reimagine Star Wars. It's unique. I wouldn't watch it and I am quite sure a lot of fans would feel the same.

Trust me...people would watch. Especially if they started from Episode I and went in chronological order.

Think about it. The majority of the fans loathe Episode I. If they reimagined the "beginning" and then worked onto Episode II...by the time they got to Episodes IV thru VI people would be more comfortable with the new look/feel/story that is being told. Not a replacement, a reimagining.

Do I personally feel that they could do better than the originals? Maybe not A New Hope and Empire but Return of the Jedi could definitely be better.

(Remember...there were people that said that nobody could do better than Connery's Bond or Nicholson's Joker...but some would say that happened.)

wishiwere@wdw

There are 64 pages and I've done my best to keep up with this insane news so my apologies if this has already been said.... I wanted to make sure people heard the news that George Lucas plans to donate the majority of the money from this deal to his philanthropic endeavors.

PeterAlt

EDL didn't tame Eisner. Wells died and he took hold of all the ropes.

Location was the last reason EDL had financial problems. MLV is still the best logical choice from the time.

Truth is it was a combination of a lot of things happening at once. EuroDisney, Wells, Jeffrey Katzenberg leaving because he didn't get Wells' job and starting Dream Works. Oh, and let's not forget his triple bipass heart surgery!

Eisner was very excited about EuroDisney. In the 1988 stock report, he dedicated a few pages about it and commented something to the effect: "EuroDisney is HUGE... In the future, it will be so big and popular that they'll look back at this stock report and wonder why we've only devoted a few pages about it!"

Well, he was embarrassingly wrong. Actually, just seeing that he said that by itself pretty much explains things in a nutshell.

FrankLapidus

Trust me...people would watch. Especially if they started from Episode I and went in chronological order.

Think about it. The majority of the fans loathe Episode I. If they reimagined the "beginning" and then worked onto Episode II...by the time they got to Episodes IV thru VI people would be more comfortable with the new look/feel/story that is being told. Not a replacement, a reimagining.

Do I personally feel that they could do better than the originals? Maybe not A New Hope and Empire but Return of the Jedi could definitely be better.

(Remember...there were people that said that nobody could do better than Connery's Bond or Nicholson's Joker...but some would say that happened.)

It wouldn't make sense to me to retread old ground and remake films that are barely a decade old. The prequels are what they are, they might not be universally loved but they're the story Lucas wanted to tell and, like them or loathe them, he told the story the way he wanted. Personally, I can't see anyone beside Mark Hammill as Luke Skywalker or Harrison Ford as Han Solo and it would be particularly hard for the fanatical SW fanbase to accept such changes. It might be possible but it would be pointless; why would you remake Empire Strikes Back?

SirLink

No they won't do that because unlike Star Trek, Star Wars its the number 3rd franchise in the world behind those of James Bond and Harry Potter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom