Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Crazy Harry

This statement has now become so cliche. I don't know who started it, but it's not really an argument about the film, just a statement that attempts to assign blame on someone other than the filmmakers, who are really the ones at fault.

John Carter was a bad movie. Film Crit Hulk probably wrote the best essay espousing why, and it is one of the best pieces of film criticism out there.

It seems people have a hard time believing that the Pixar brain trust has deteriorated badly over recent years. Cars 2 was a misfire on every level, and Brave was a storytelling disaster. A storytelling disaster! from the self-proclaimed story masters.

Is this a cliche or an observational truth? 'The sky is blue' is not a cliche although it is often referenced. People constantly talk about the poor marketing of this movie because it was marketed poorly, in particular the poor quality of the movie trailers. The Disney marketing team, in terms of movies, has illustrated a pattern of highlighting action and fx without conveying what the movie is really about. I was excited about this movie until I saw the trailer, although a 10 second clip I saw was far more interesting that any trailer.

Let me point out also that even bad movies can have great trailers, and a drumming by critics does not always translate to poor box office. The entire reason I did not see this movie in the theatres was because of the trailer. And this is not to say that the film would have been a blockbuster otherwise, but the marketing strategy hurt this film.

PurpleRose

The issue of what is recognized as canon gets a little tricky since Lucasfilm recognizes a couple different levels of canon, you can read the details here. I would think any new movies that are made would only attempt to respect the continuity of the 6 movies and not anything in the EU.

That sounds like EU threw everything out the window, which isn't true. Yes, there are some stuff (Boba Fett, for instance).

I understand the desire for originality and about the different levels of canon. I'm also not saying it has to be the Heir to the Empire series either. There are so many great stories out there of rebuilding the Republic in the wake of the Emperor that can be told. Stories of the in fighting, Luke re-creating the Jedi Academy, of Kyle Katarn, the twins, so much great stuff there that it's hard for me to just imagine that it doesn't exist. I've been reading EU for, what, fifteen years now?

Of course this whole thing is moot. They are going to do what they want to do.

Magenta Panther

It's not as bad as folks here are suggesting. It was just...really, really forgettable. Pixar thought it could make a princess movie to one-up WDAS, and they ended up falling short of the high standard set by Tangled.

And "Tangled", in my opinion, fell short of the standard set by "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast".

tomman710

Is this a cliche or an observational truth? 'The sky is blue' is not a cliche although it is often referenced. People constantly talk about the poor marketing of this movie because it was marketed poorly, in particular the poor quality of the movie trailers. The Disney marketing team, in terms of movies, has illustrated a pattern of highlighting action and fx without conveying what the movie is really about. I was excited about this movie until I saw the trailer, although a 10 second clip I saw was far more interesting that any trailer.

Let me point out also that even bad movies can have great trailers, and a drumming by critics does not always translate to poor box office. The entire reason I did not see this movie in the theatres was because of the trailer. And this is not to say that the film would have been a blockbuster otherwise, but the marketing strategy hurt this film.

Agreed. A buddy of mine is a Marketing professor at UT and alot of the professors are using this film/marketing as a case study this semester, obviously on how NOT to market a film.

Magenta Panther

So Darth Vader becomes an official Disney Villain and Princess Leia becomes an official Disney princess.... right!? :confused:

Feh! Maleficent could eat Vader for lunch. :D As for Leia...she's nice, but Disney she is not. She's just an acquisition, not a Disney creation. So the answer to your question is technically, "no".

SirLink

Feh! Maleficent could eat Vader for lunch. :D As for Leia...she's nice, but Disney she is not. She's just an acquisition, not a Disney creation. So the answer to your question is technically, "no".

If we want to get technical then there are no princesses then. They didn't create Snow White, Belle, etc. either.

Magenta Panther

If we want to get technical then there are no princesses then. They didn't create Snow White, Belle, etc. either.

YES THEY DID. They created the Disney version, which for most of the world's population, is the definitive version. In contrast, not one jot of Disney creativity makes up any part of Princess Leia. She was created by George Lucas and his writers, artists etc. Look at it this way: when you buy a Ford, does that mean you created it?

Jedeye80

And "Tangled", in my opinion, fell short of the standard set by "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast".
Tangled was ok but beauty and the beast set the bar so high if a Disney film gets anywhere near that it could still be considered great. The early 90s was a time when disney animation films were untouchable, little mermaid, beauty and the beast, Aladdin and the lion king are all considered classics, ts doubtful that we will see a group of films like that again, but just because the films made today aren't as good doesn't make them bad.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

YES THEY DID. They created the Disney version, which for most of the world's population, is the definitive version. In contrast, not one jot of Disney creativity makes up any part of Princess Leia. She was created by George Lucas and his writers, artists etc. Look at it this way: when you buy a Ford, does that mean you created it?
If you want to get really technical, a Disney princess is any female character that Disney owns the rights to and has a marketable appeal. If Disney thinks that they can market Leia as a Disney princess you can bet your bottom dollar that they will.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think Eisner (I cannot believe that I am defending Eisner AGAIN!) was changed after the EuroDisney desaster, that ended the Disney Decade before it had begun. After EuroDisney he became far less adventureous and avoided every possible risk.
He should have asked me, okay I was only a young boy in West-Berlin, but I knew from the day they announced EuroDisney would be built in Paris that this would be not a good location for a Disney park in Europe and that it would flop. I could have told him. His own fault he didn't call.:)
EDL didn't tame Eisner. Wells died and he took hold of all the ropes.

Location was the last reason EDL had financial problems. MLV is still the best logical choice from the time.

WDWFREAK53

I know this may be blasphemous...

Has anybody thought about it though...

What if the new Disney/Star Wars era reimagined the franchise?
Maybe a reboot of the entire franchise. I know I know...Nothing could be better than the originals but many feel that the prequels were crap.

Doing what they did with Batman may not be extremely horrible and could maybe make it more of a cohesive story rather than how they needed to shoehorn things in to fit with the original three.

Am I saying that I'd like this? No...but I can't imagine that the possibility isn't there.

As far as that pic above...I like it but I'd like to see them do something like they have at Imagination.
Have a theater with an updated 4D movie...and then located in the same building, a Muppets dark ride spoofing the movies.

El Grupo

Creations or interpretations?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
You meant to say " I wish my beloved Universal had bought Lucasfilms but a guy can dream that Disney would be moronic enough to license it to IOA."

I know boys have been hurting but your response is pathetic. I frequent many parks and unlike the ubber fans have no particular loyalty. Why does it bother you so much? Is it that in the back of your mind ( very small) the nagging doubt that Disney will perform in their typical WDW way and do hee haw with it?
Cause unlike ubbers such as yourself I would go to what ever park has it.
As for what morons think. Ill bow to your insider knowledge of the subject.

No about the Muppets...........

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know this may be blasphemous...

Has anybody thought about it though...

What if the new Disney/Star Wars era reimagined the franchise?
Maybe a reboot of the entire franchise. I know I know...Nothing could be better than the originals but many feel that the prequels were crap.

Doing what they did with Batman may not be extremely horrible and could maybe make it more of a cohesive story rather than how they needed to shoehorn things in to fit with the original three.

Am I saying that I'd like this? No...but I can't imagine that the possibility isn't there.

As far as that pic above...I like it but I'd like to see them do something like they have at Imagination.
Have a theater with an updated 4D movie...and then located in the same building, a Muppets dark ride spoofing the movies.
You have no idea how much I hope they do not attempt this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom