Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

GLaDOS

i would not be surprised if they keep cranking out Star Wars movies as long as people keep going to see them.

I'm hoping they're smart with this. I'd hope that some of these films are smaller, single character focused films, rather than epic after epic.

You're not going to be able to pull of an Episode every 2 years without fatiguing the audience.

JustInTime

I'm hoping they're smart with this. I'd hope that some of these films are smaller, single character focused films, rather than epic after epic.

You're not going to be able to pull of an Episode every 2 years without fatiguing the audience.

If they do change the direction of the films after they do the next trilogy or so, I hope it has more Abram's Star Trek feel rather than Lucas's Phantom Menace.

PurpleRose

For those of us wondering as to where the story line for Episodes 7-9 will be coming from, the latest word is they will be original and not from the EU. As always, apply salt to taste.

http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

I can kinda believe that. But on the same token, lots in EU were/are canon until George decided he didn't want to keep up with it anymore (sometime after NJO wrapped up, if my memory serves me).

I can see a situation were we get cameos from Luke and Leia (with mention of Han but not seen) and the focus is on the New Republic and the Solo/Skywalker children.

Can I get Mara Jade in this please??

fractal

John Carter was a great movie... it did very well in foreign markets.... only here in North America where the Disney Marketing itself was like it was from Mars did the movie do poorly....

Hopefully they will give it another go down the road..... and also slow down and explain more.....the book series is quite long.....shame it wasnt marketed better.

First off - JC was NOT a great movie. I watched and it had some nice parts but also some painful ones. The scenes on Earth I felt were actually more entertaining than the ones on Mars. The bottom line was that the movie lost hundreds of millions for Disney, including the foreign markets and it failed to launch a franchise.

Slim chance about another JC movie. I do agree that the marketing was poor - but a "great" movie would have overcome that. In the end, based on critic and audience opinion and box office numbers, JC was a disaster.

choco choco

John Carter was a great movie.....shame it wasnt marketed better.

This statement has now become so cliche. I don't know who started it, but it's not really an argument about the film, just a statement that attempts to assign blame on someone other than the filmmakers, who are really the ones at fault.

John Carter was a bad movie. Film Crit Hulk probably wrote the best essay espousing why, and it is one of the best pieces of film criticism out there.

It seems people have a hard time believing that the Pixar brain trust has deteriorated badly over recent years. Cars 2 was a misfire on every level, and Brave was a storytelling disaster. A storytelling disaster! from the self-proclaimed story masters.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can kinda believe that. But on the same token, lots in EU were/are canon until George decided he didn't want to keep up with it anymore (sometime after NJO wrapped up, if my memory serves me).

I can see a situation were we get cameos from Luke and Leia (with mention of Han but not seen) and the focus is on the New Republic and the Solo/Skywalker children.

From what I can tell GL will regard the EU as cannon until they conflict with what he wants to do. For example, he stated that Boba Fett is dead, regardless of what the EU says. I think he will honor the EU to a point, much like the 501st being mentioned in the Clone Wars Series, but he will not be bound by it and neither will his predecessors.

From a simple marketing standpoint, I can not see how characters like Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn or Jacen Solo could be ignored if they exist in the timeline of episodes 7-9, but for all we know they might go in the opposite direction of the Old republic and put episodes 7-9 3000 years ABY. As far as I know, nothing has been written past the Legacy war in 138 ABY. That would give them as clean of slate as possible.

Spike-in-Berlin

For those of us wondering as to where the story line for Episodes 7-9 will be coming from, the latest word is they will be original and not from the EU. As always, apply salt to taste.

http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

If that's true it's great news and it absolutely makes sense. To be honest, Disney would be nothing less than insane if they would produce a Star Wars movie with a plot that is available as a novel for decades and well known to an audience of millions of fans. Sorry for the Thrawn and Mara Jade fans but that would be the greatest mistake they could do. Heir to the Empire is not Lord of the Rings.

Timothy_Q

It seems people have a hard time believing that the Pixar brain trust has deteriorated badly over recent years. Cars 2 was a misfire on every level, and Brave was a storytelling disaster. A storytelling disaster! from the self-proclaimed story masters.

Cars 2 and Brave were indeed very bad. I still have hope for the 3 films they have in development after MU though.

If not, at least WDAS is back to making quality movies again. It seems we can't have both at the same time.

Atomicmickey

My guess: Clean slate. Novels and EU will not exist in the new films Dojo.

Sure, lots of hardcore fans read them. But Disney will be going for a much larger audience.

Go to a shopping mall and ask 100 people who Thrawn is. You'll be lucky if you get one, I'd bet.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The issue of what is recognized as canon gets a little tricky since Lucasfilm recognizes a couple different levels of canon, you can read the details here. I would think any new movies that are made would only attempt to respect the continuity of the 6 movies and not anything in the EU.

GLaDOS

Go to a shopping mall and ask 100 people who Thrawn is. You'll be lucky if you get one, I'd bet.

Does that matter? At all? You're going to have to have a new antagonist anyway.

That's like saying, "Go ask anyone who Mandarin from the Iron Man comics is. They won't be able to tell you." Yet they're basing a movie with him as the main villain.

I understand the decision to go with a new story, but saying it's smart because the GP doesn't know who Thrawn is doesn't make much sense.

twebber55

Sure, lots of hardcore fans read them. But Disney will be going for a much larger audience.

to be honest i could not tell you who Thrawn is

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But just because a lot of people haven't read the books, doesn't mean they aren't potentially great stories to tap into. If you make the Thrawn trilogy books into three great movies then you make both the fans happy (as much as that is possible) and also the general public. Personally, as much as I would like to see some of the EU made into a movie, I would be just as happy with something entirely original.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If that's true it's great news and it absolutely makes sense. To be honest, Disney would be nothing less than insane if they would produce a Star Wars movie with a plot that is available as a novel for decades and well known to an audience of millions of fans. Sorry for the Thrawn and Mara Jade fans but that would be the greatest mistake they could do. Heir to the Empire is not Lord of the Rings.
As much as I want to see the Heir to the Empire trilogy on the big screen I am inclined to agree with you. No matter how well the did the movie, it would fall short of the books. They could almost do a Star Trek type reset by simply jumping forward 200 years.

GLaDOS

But just because a lot of people haven't read the books, doesn't mean they aren't potentially great stories to tap into. If you make the Thrawn trilogy books into three great movies then you make both the fans happy (as much as that is possible) and also the general public. Personally, as much as I would like to see some of the EU made into a movie, I would be just as happy with something entirely original.

Agreed all around. I would LOVE to see Thrawn on the big screen, but I gave up that hope long ago.

Now, I do want to see Luke Skywalker training Jedi on screen. Very badly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

You are quite correct. Time will only tell which direction they choose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom