Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Disneyfan_76

Now that Dieney owns the Star Wars franchise and Avatar theme park rights, they could build a DisneySpace theme park (not at WDW). The park would include attractions based on Star Wars, Avatar, Wall-E, classic Tommorowland attractions like Space Mountain, Marvel comic characters, and (my favorite) Piiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggssssssss innnnnnnnnn Spppppppaaaaaaaccccccce!

All joking aside... there actually could be a star wars muppet movie, or an indiana jones for that matter...

Disneyfan_76

It will be released in 2015 as Episode VII: Avengers of the Empire, marking the first time Disney will use an actual movie title as a cross-promotion of their other 2015 tentpole, which is now titled The Avengers: Episode II to continue promoting the earlier property. Their ability to reference themselves knows no bounds...

Oh.. but the pun titles are endless.... Songs of the Sith, Lilo & Vader, 101 Ewoks, 20,000 Gungans under the Sea, Hoth School Musical....

AswaySuller

And it also wouldn't entitle you to millions of dollars in already established merchandise and film rights, and the untold money making potential of an expanded Star Wars universe. Not to mention the Indiana Jones films and whatever potential they have. Star Wars weekends, fan conventions, parodies, cartoons, toys, and untold collectibles speak to the continuing interest and enthusiasm that has and will exist for this franchise. Universal recognition, worldwide following, and a massive expanded universe sounds like a pretty good acquisition to me.

For starters Indy is basically paramount's so that's a moot point.

I'm just saying star wars has already sold Millions of merchandise and t-shirts... How much more could they possibly sell?

It's like buying an all you can eat buffet to put a hot dog cart outside!

Spike-in-Berlin

I hope that doesn't mean that Cars Land for DHS is put on a hold or even cancelled because they now build a Lucasfilm-Land in DHS. If they have to cancel something cancel Avatarland. So far there is just ONE movie and we don't know ho it will develop in the future. Sometimes promising franchises just die out. Remember Narnia, first everyone expected half a dozen disney movies, a new long lasting Disney franchise and after being disappointed with Prince Caspian Disney bailed out.

SirLink

For starters Indy is basically paramount's so that's a moot point.

I'm just saying star wars has already sold Millions of merchandise and t-shirts... How much more could they possibly sell?

It's like buying an all you can eat buffet to put a hot dog cart outside!

Lets not get carried away shall we Paramount doesn't own the IP - they have a distribution and development contract with LucasFilm. But thou shalt not forget shall we Disney and Paramount love to do business together. They could easily work something out if they wanted to produce Indy 5.

I just hope from this we get the live action Star Wars TV series that was in development finally break out.

Also one could easily make the point that every time Disney tries to do Sci-Fi based films they turn out to be flops - John Carter/Tron/Blackhole. At least this time its a guaranteed to make money.

Or in terms of your metaphor - There are two buffets across the street from one another, one has huge line and never goes down. The other has a line which is popular for a few hours and the line dissipates quickly. If you have an option to buy the popular buffet - you'd be a fool not too!

tl77

AWESOME!!! Maybe now we will finally get that Howard the Duck-land or Willow or ride, or the THX 1138 "experience" where you can sit naked in a white room with Robert Duvall.... oh the possibilities!! :D

Beholder

Another point (forgive me if it's been brought up) is that not only is this a good thing for Disney, but it's a great thing for Lucasfilm. Instead of falling into possible stagnation, GL's properties will now arguably have the best place possible that will insure their continued use. Now the Star Wars universe is pretty much garuanteed to continue, one way or another, far past my life time. And that's all good.

WishIwasThere

I'm just happy that George is allowing someone to keep the Star Wars universe alive. I was afraid that it would die with him, based on his prior comments about not letting anyone make any more films after Ep 3.

Maybe we can have a Muppets Star Wars movie.?!?.

DisneyJunkie

Empire Strikes Back - arguably the best of the original films - showed what can come when Lucas doesn't have a direct hand in the film making. So really, handing off the rights to SW to someone else (which is long overdue) is a good move. There are a number of directors out there right now who could craft an excellent new trilogy. Please just don't give it to Michael Bay - story DOES matter!

G00fyDad

Empire Strikes Back - arguably the best of the original films - showed what can come when Lucas doesn't have a direct hand in the film making. So really, handing off the rights to SW to someone else (which is long overdue) is a good move. There are a number of directors out there right now who could craft an excellent new trilogy. Please just don't give it to Michael Bay - story DOES matter!

I agree. He nearly killed the franchise with Ep I, II, and III. :mad: Although I did hear that he once said that he wouldn't even allow his children to do another Star Wars movie. That's why I was caught by surprise by this announcement. :confused:

lazyboy97o

Given the aggressive passion of SW fans (see "The People vs GL), it might be good for Disney to signal a level of seriousness by moving on the theme park experience before the movie. SW fans are already vocalizing their concern that Disney will wreck the franchise. A well executed, well funded expansion would both calm nerves and drum excitement.

The difference here is that SW is a proven moneymaker. With the SW Weekend synergy, for example, Disney already knows it can exploit the theme park platform for financial gain from this particularly fan-base. There is no real guessing here. People will come for a well done environment.

Iger said on the call that the purchase was done almost exclusively for the films and merchandise. The park can and should be the loss leader to drive the fan-base to trust Disney with the films AND to drive significant merchandise sales - assuming unique/exclusive offerings.
Bob Iger is not going to use a loss leader, especially on something like Star Wars. The fans have not shown up en masse to see Star Tours and they continue to buy merchandise before the promise of another film. There is no need to show goodwill because Disney figures fans are suckers. Just like Disney fans will keep coming back to Disney for whatever, they figure the same is true of Star Wars fans. I imagine, just like Pixar and Marvel, this relationship will be mostly hands off at first. So while Disney fans will gush at how great Disney did, Disney will actually have done very little that would not have been done without their ownership (see The Avengers.

What Star Wars fans have to fear is the lack of an 800lb gorilla coming along with the purchase. Pixar came with Lasseter and his cree who not only define the soul of Pixar, but are needed to continue slowly repairing Disney's animation system. Marvel has a committed crew that was well invested in their product and clearly the source of the Company's rebirth. And Star Wars has George Lucas, whom most people seem excited to hear that he is stepping aside. Who is there you can demand a Star Wars theme park project that Disney needs to keep happy?

WishIwasThere

What I think is more interesting is the fact that ILM is now a Disney company. They are the ones who did the CG film for the Trasformer ride (as well as all of the movies), and they were involved in every one of the HP movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom