Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

RadioHead

When Walt was first involved with television, the network owners were always after him to create a western, because westerns were popular. Walt resisted. He had no interest in doing what others were doing. He liked to set trends, not follow them. Given that, I find it very hard to believe that he'd be interested in using, much less buying, characters that someone else had already fully developed. He was the polar opposite of CEOs like Iger, who find fully-developed, universally recognized characters attractive; all the creative and financial risks of development have been taken - by someone else. Creativity and the risks that go with it are things to be avoided as far as he's concerned. He's as unlike Walt as you can get. Worse than Eisner, even. Which is why I kinda despise the guy.

As for that Muppet movie, I tried to watch it On Demand, and couldn't get through it. It was PATHETIC. The puppets were going around saying "Nobody likes us anymore! Poor poor us!" and begging for the audience's sympathy. When that poor actor did that rap song, that was enough for me. Jeez. No wonder the thing underperformed financially. Big surprise!

Pixar is the one arm of Disney that still has a measure of Walt's creative spirit. It takes risks. I had high hopes when Lasseter was given such a high position in the company. I don't know why he hasn't made more of a difference. Maybe Pixar is more than enough for him to handle. Bummer...

No offense but your coming off as this type of person

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/m/image/1293/17/1293178205627.jpg

Festivus

I hope you are right about that. There is a crowd of talent right now, I can think of 3 or 4 just off hand. So let me ask this, if it is a continuation , who is the big bad?? Do you go force user, or do you go like Zahn did and pick an Imperial mastermind? Or do you not even involve the main characters of the first and tell a side story , like an Emperor's Hand , something of that nature?? I am a fanboy and can think of many possibilities lol.
Hard to tell who the bad guy would be. Several pages back I linked an article/blog from the official Star Wars website that loosely reviews the history of episodes 7, 8, and 9. Lucas apparently has an old notebook of ideas regarding these unmade films. If Disney uses his ideas and build a 3 film story arch from it, we may see villains we have never heard or seen before, which I hope is the case.

disney fan 13

Just realized... Why would they announce it today? Stock Market is closed (along with the rest of the Northeast) The elections happen next week, and the media is focused on both of those things. Sounds fishy...

RadioHead

Take off the rose colored glasses, then. I love WDW and I have a blast. I have actually be 2 times this year. It's a great. But it's in trouble. AK is half a day, DHS is half a day, Almost all MK attractions need a 6 month refurb right now and Epcot is a total disaster.

Meh.

Animal Kingdom is working on the half day thing by adding that Avatar Land, no?

An DHS is supposedly getting the Cars Land, and a Monster Inc coaster?

Disney World will definitely look different by 2050 no? Than what's the concern? What's this rush for new attractions and lands 24/7? If you aren't happy with the product than don't pay your hard earned money.

Btw, if that avatar is of your kid, than you have one hella cute son. Must be racking up the ladies like crazy

disney fan 13

Just wanted to say... Within the first 12 hours of the news breaking this thread is closing on 1,000... Thats gotta be a record or something.

SyracuseOrange

Just realized... Why would they announce it today? Stock Market is closed (along with the rest of the Northeast) The elections happen next week, and the media is focused on both of those things. Sounds fishy...
That's actually a valid point. Although this did create a lot of headlines after a lot of people were feeling Sandy-fatigue, (and I was pleasantly surprised to see Disney trending worldwide on Twitter) it seems they could have owned the news cycle and the stock market if they had timed it better.

Magenta Panther

Yeah I do going to the movies are so expensive now a days that I usually look and see what critics are saying before I decide which movie to watch, and I saw the muppets I think it was the best movie Disney released that year

Sometimes I read movie reviews to find out what a movie is about, but when it comes to opinions, I usually listen to friends who've seen the movie in question. With the Muppets, only one friend of mine saw it, and said it was kind of strange and it bored her kids. I wasn't interested in it anyway. I did try to watch it On Demand like I said, but I thought it was pretty bad. JMO.

donaldtoo

Muahahahaha...!
The GRAND PLAN is coming to fruition.
Soon, we will own Taco Bell! (soon to be known as "Tinker Taco Bell"), "Walt-Mart ", and then yes...even.....
Walprah!!!!!

choco choco

Has there been a title yet for the new movie? May I suggest "When you wish upon a Death Star" LOL

It will be released in 2015 as Episode VII: Avengers of the Empire, marking the first time Disney will use an actual movie title as a cross-promotion of their other 2015 tentpole, which is now titled The Avengers: Episode II to continue promoting the earlier property. Their ability to reference themselves knows no bounds...

MarkTwain

Just got home and I have no hope of reading all 41 pages, but my first thought as far as parks go is that all plans for park expansion are probably immediately suspended for retooling, probably with much greater input from executive management. I would be very surprised if Disneyland's plans for Tomorrowland, WDW's plans for DHS and its potential Cars Land, and possibly even the Avatar project weren't being completely re-examined.

We know Iger likes to get the bang for his buck as far as letting his brand acquisitions feed the theme parks, and he should now in theory have an equal interest in bringing Star Wars into the existing parks as he does with Marvel, since both were purchased for a near-equal price. We also already know that Disney/Iger have a major interest in bringing Marvel into the parks, a task fraught with legal complications and difficulties with assimilating the imagery into the Disney brand. Considering Disney's existing history with Lucasfilm, this is a challenge made considerably easier with the Star Wars/Indy properties. I wouldn't be surprised at all if any or all of the above expansions became much more Star Wars-centric.

I am THRILLED about this news - much, much more than I was about the Marvel purchase, as this seems a much more organic fit. But at the same time, one wonders just how well the parks can adequately accommodate Disney's increasingly crowded portfolio of acquired brands, while still allowing room for original or Disney-developed properties (I'm guessing it can't).

Magenta Panther

But at the same time, one wonders just how well the parks can adequately accommodate Disney's increasingly crowded portfolio of acquired brands, while still allowing room for original or Disney-developed properties (I'm guessing it can't).

Which is why Iger can't get pushed out too soon. I can just imagine what Uncle Roy would have thought of all this. He kept insisting that Disney isn't a brand. Now Disney IS a brand, made up of OTHER brands. Tragic.

PeterAlt

Now that Dieney owns the Star Wars franchise and Avatar theme park rights, they could build a DisneySpace theme park (not at WDW). The park would include attractions based on Star Wars, Avatar, Wall-E, classic Tommorowland attractions like Space Mountain, Marvel comic characters, and (my favorite) Piiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggssssssss innnnnnnnnn Spppppppaaaaaaaccccccce!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom