Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Festivus

Remember when the Prequel trilogy was announced and you were so excited about The Phantom Menace and you couldn't believe there was going to be a new Star Wars movie and you bought your tickets in advance and you went to see it on opening day and you were so excited when the 20th Century fanfare played and then you watched the movie and you told yourself it couldn't possibly be as bad as it was and afterwards you avoided making eye contact with your friend who watched it with you because you were both disappointed and embarrassed that this is what you'd gotten so excited about seeing?

Yeah, remember that in 3 years when Episode 7 opens.
It took me 3 or 4 viewings to get that impression because I was so stoked about it. But E2 and E3 got progressively better...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Remember when the Prequel trilogy was announced and you were so excited about The Phantom Menace and you couldn't believe there was going to be a new Star Wars movie and you bought your tickets in advance and you went to see it on opening day and you were so excited when the 20th Century fanfare played and then you watched the movie and you told yourself it couldn't possibly be as bad as it was and afterwards you avoided making eye contact with your friend who watched it with you because you were both disappointed and embarrassed that this is what you'd gotten so excited about seeing?

I would rather risk that happening again, then to have them never attempt another movie which could potentially be very good.

Gregoryp73

All depends who writes the final screenplay....and who directs.
If Favreau or Whedon got the nod, it would start the packs a droolin.

Or Guierrmo del Toro (sp?)...could you imagine the creature side of SW with him in the captains seat?

ellie-badge

I think this is great! I haven't exactly read through thirty-two pages worth of comments, but from skimming the first and last pages I can see that most are either REALLY surprised or REALLY excited or REALLY surprised AND excited! If there's some doom-and-gloomers in between, then... well, you know what they say about opinions. Everybody's got one. ;)

I love Star Wars, I'm happy my parents got me into the movies when they did. I have many a fond memory going to the movies with one of my best friends to see the newer sequels. We didn't care if they were bad (I personally enjoy them, but hey), we enjoyed each other's company and we had some great times. I'm glad other kids (adults, too!) like my friend and I can do the same thing in the next few years.

Not to mention, Disney's more than proved themselves to make some seriously hardcore and amazing movies when it comes to franchises that another company previously owned, ala Jim Henson's The Muppets and Marvel's The Avengers. I don't think Disney would be stupid enough to mess up one of the greatest movie series of all time.

fractal

I remember that well - but this time Lucas will not be running the show. If you know your SW history, you know that Lucas was reeled in continuously while filming the original - and with the prequels he surrounded himself with adoring "yes-men".

I have a "new hope" that they give the reins to an accomplished director and screenwriters.

CinematicFusion

Ridley Scott needs to direct Star Wars, I think he would do an amazing job.

What of those potential Star Wars land images that surfaced a few months ago for Disney Paris? Is that something that could be coming to DHS?

Lee

Adventurer
Couple thoughts:
- In regards to Indiana Jones, it will be interesting to find out just what rights Paramount has to the franchise. Paramount I suspect will retain the rights to distribute any future films.
I would think, without looking it up, that the rights to the character now fully belong to Disney, opening the door to new attractions. (Somebody get Mike Eisner on the line, he's the one that made the deal. Funny how stuff comes full circle, huh?)

- No. There aren't gonna build a Star Wars park in the US. Probably not anywhere else either. Let's just leave that alone.

- I agree with what was said above, Disney needs to get moving NOW to get new attractions in the pipeline. Fast-track them. Get them up and running within the next, say...three years. People will wait for them...but only for so long before it becomes just...silly.

- I wouldn't want to be Avatarland today. Forgotten...pushed to the back...dismissed....Cameron may be a bit...displeased by today's news.

- Wonder if they would let Joss slide over into Star Wars and hand off Avengers 2. The mind reels at the prospect of a Whedon written/directed Star Wars. Nah...very unlikely.

Beholder

If anything, the next SW movie (s) will be a chance at redemption. Everyone knows what a letdown Episode One was to fans, and that includes the Hollywood machine. I welcome a chance to revisit the SW universe with reverence for the original vision, yet a fresh attempt to tell new stories.

JustInTime

Couple thoughts:
- In regards to Indiana Jones, it will be interesting to find out just what rights Paramount has to the franchise. Paramount I suspect will retain the rights to distribute any future films.
I would think, without looking it up, that the rights to the character now fully belong to Disney, opening the door to new attractions. (Somebody get Mike Eisner on the line, he's the one that made the deal. Funny how stuff comes full circle, huh?)

- No. There aren't gonna build a Star Wars park in the US. Probably not anywhere else either. Let's just leave that alone.

- I agree with what was said above, Disney needs to get moving NOW to get new attractions in the pipeline. Fast-track them. Get them up and running within the next, say...three years. People will wait for them...but only for so long before it becomes just...silly.

- I wouldn't want to be Avatarland today. Forgotten...pushed to the back...dismissed....Cameron may be a bit...displeased by today's news.

- Wonder if they would let Joss slide over into Star Wars and hand off Avengers 2. The mind reels at the prospect of a Whedon written/directed Star Wars. Nah...very unlikely.
True. But if Avtarland is done halfway right, by the time it opens Star Wars being owned by Disney will be old news. People will be talking about the new trailer for episode 7.

RSoxNo1

It took me 3 or 4 viewings to get that impression because I was so stoked about it. But E2 and E3 got progressively better...
2 was downright unwatchable. Revenge of the Sith stands up to, if not exceeds the original trilogy. Phantom Menace had solid elements (Darth Maul, Pod Racing).

Festivus

If anything, the next SW movie (s) will be a chance at redemption. Everyone knows what a letdown Episode One was to fans, and that includes the Hollywood machine. I welcome a chance to revisit the SW universe with reverence for the original vision, yet a fresh attempt to tell new stories.
You just hit the bullseye! "Redemption" and "Reverence to the originals".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom