Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

disney fan 13

That whole series was so uneven. Great character moments built on a TERRIBLE premise.

I thought the Jacen thing was pretty stupid, and I'm still bitter over Anakin's death, but overall the story

( and premise, it was sorta obvious that other galaxy's were populated. And I thought the Vong were a nice change of pace from the warlords.)

Was pretty solid.

RadioHead

Right...and they mentioned Shanghai and Hong Kong specifically. Nothing about WDW. It's probably going to happen, I'm not denying that at all. I look forward to it happening.

But everyone saying Universal is going to be running around crapping their pants needs to look at the overall situation. They have 3 E-tickets all based on extremely popular and profitable franchises under construction and opening within the next 18 months. If Disney started construction tomorrow, they wouldn't have rides open for another 3 years easy.

No offense but are you passing away in the next few years?

As a 24 year old, with 1 son and 1 daughter I see this as a future investment.

This, to me, is Disney aquring another "Bullet" in there gun. The more bullets they have, the better meterial they have for future blue sky projects.

I would be okay if we don't see anything come out of this for another 20-30 years. Will be able to take my grandchildren than and enjoy it with them. No rush...

Magenta Panther

Aaannnnd Disney continues its new tradition of buying worn-out properties. Yay! So, what do you guys think we'll see in the next Star Wars ride in WDW? Disco Chewbacca? :rolleyes:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yeah I was about to say, didn't Iger mention theme park attractions?

It's like, disney buys lucas for 4 billion dollars, Iger says new attractions will come out of this,

PEOPLE STILL COMPLAIN AND WHINE.

This company has invested so much in the past decade. Pixar, Marvel, Lucas Films, christ. The Disney company is primed to be THE Monopoly figure in the entertainment industry
Yeah...good point...this merger still hasn't been approved by the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, which, among others things, protects against monopolies.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Right...and they mentioned Shanghai and Hong Kong specifically. Nothing about WDW. It's probably going to happen, I'm not denying that at all. I look forward to it happening.

But everyone saying Universal is going to be running around crapping their pants needs to look at the overall situation. They have 3 E-tickets all based on extremely popular and profitable franchises under construction and opening within the next 18 months. If Disney started construction tomorrow, they wouldn't have rides open for another 3 years easy.

Actually they said this, from AttractionMagazine:
Disney CFO Jay Rasulo described some of the ways they hope to capitalize on the acquisition, “We plan to release the first new Star Wars film in 2015, and then plan to release one film every two to three years. These films will be released and distributed as part of our target slate of 8-10 live-action films per year, and will augment Disney’s already strong creative pipeline for many years to come. We also expect to utilize Star Wars in other businesses including Parks & Resorts, in games and in our television business. These initiatives were also considered in our valuation.”
No mention of any specific resort. Sorry, you're wrong.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Does 2015 not seem really quick to others? Thats really just 2 years away, they have to already have the ball rolling. Has anything been said about the project already being in pre-production for a while?

... also, Kathleen Kennedy produced Spielberg's War of the Worlds which went from green light to opening day in less then 11 months. Now it's not the greatest movie, but that's a pretty impressive turnaround time for a movie like that.

GLaDOS

No offense but are you passing away in the next few years?

As a 24 year old, with 1 son and 1 daughter I see this as a future investment.

This, to me, is Disney aquring another "Bullet" in there gun. The more bullets they have, the better meterial they have for future blue sky projects.

I would be okay if we don't see anything come out of this for another 20-30 years. Will be able to take my grandchildren than and enjoy it with them. No rush...

That wasn't my point.

I was responding to everyone that was assured that Universal was going to go running around panicking and crapping themselves because Disney may be building Star Wars attractions sometime in the possibly near future.

I'm totally fine with it taking a while.

Although I'd like it sooner than later.;)

disney fan 13

Aaannnnd Disney continues its new tradition of buying worn-out properties. Yay! So, what do you guys think we'll see in the next Star Wars ride in WDW? Disco Chewbacca? :rolleyes:

I wonder what more people have seen today? Star Wars? Or Snow White Or Pinnochio Or Fantasia or any other Disney movies made before Eisger's rein?

(And be able to tell the story)

GLaDOS

Actually they said this, from AttractionMagazine:
Disney CFO Jay Rasulo described some of the ways they hope to capitalize on the acquisition, “We plan to release the first new Star Wars film in 2015, and then plan to release one film every two to three years. These films will be released and distributed as part of our target slate of 8-10 live-action films per year, and will augment Disney’s already strong creative pipeline for many years to come. We also expect to utilize Star Wars in other businesses including Parks & Resorts, in games and in our television business. These initiatives were also considered in our valuation.”
No mention of any specific resort. Sorry, you're wrong.

Listen to the conference call, and you'll see I'm right.

Festivus

Dark Empire would be great, but do you not think the expanded universe is full of fresh Ideas and Characters, I mean GL has pretty much shot his wad , his prequels were disappointing.
I wouldn't say the prequels were entirely disappointing. IMHO, Revenge of the Sith is the third best SW film behind E5 and E4. Creating new films sans Lucas presents an unprecedented opportunity for Disney to reboot a truly legendary and groundbreaking film franchise. Disney is not going to risk those kind of stakes on material from the EU. While some of the EU is interesting, I think much of it is appealing only to the truly rabid fanboys and won't play well to a mass audience. Disney will hire an up and coming hot Hollywood screenwriter or someone with a good track record and base it all on the existing films with new tidbits from George. The Director they choose will have a successful track record. They don't want to blow this because the money-making potential is unprecedented.

RadioHead

An yet if they make an episode 7 it will probably end up being the number 1 grossing film in history.

Even if it's not good, people will come in DROVES to see it. An actual CONTINUATION of the series (instead of just prequels), and the fact its been quite a while since the last live action star wars film will make this a blockbuster to be reckoned with.

GLaDOS

I'll have to listen to it, but even if they specifically mention two parks there is no reason not to assume it'll be in other parks (especially the few who already the properties and are ripe for expansion).

...which I said. In a post responding to you. But again, my point wasn't that Disney wouldn't expand in WDW.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yeah...Pixar is a washout, Marvel certainly hasn't spawned anything that could me made into a movie, ESPN is boring, and nobody likes Star Wars and it certainly doesn't sell any product.

What would make YOU happy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom