Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

DocMcHulk

This just happened...
alderaan_internetz.jpg

Mawg

Hear, hear! To hell with Potter, Iron Man, Cars. Build us a Star Wars theme park, the true Holy Grail of worldwide geekdom!

A whole park based on Star Wars will not happen just like a whole park based only on princesses will not happen. A park needs more diversity. But bring on StarWars land.

I don't know if the video has been posted yet (I am too lazy to look through the 20+ pages of comments) but here it is: (again?)

Both he and Kathleen mention the possibility of a SEVENTH Film in the Star Wars Franchise. This partnership has created an explosion of possibilities in the Disney/Lucasfilm world.

jdmdisney99

I feel like Disney had a meeting like this;
Exec. #1-You ever seen Star Wars?
Exec. #2-Of course.
1-Cool, cool. How 'bout Avatar?
2-Yeah I saw it once.
1-Awesome, awesome...you know the world's supposed to end on December 21 this year?
2-I've heard that...
1-We should just have a presser, like, 2 weeks before then announcing stuff for Florida that'll never get built. People will go crazy when we tell them we're building lands from Avatar and Star Wars. Let's just do it. We're not even gonna be here 14 days later.
Disney fans everywhere-So that's ho it is! Just you wait Disney, just you wait. I'll see you at Grauman's for the premiere of Episode 7.

twebber55

just throwing it out there.... do you think they would concentrate on the movies first and then around 2016 begin adding to DHS into a full blown star wars land....maybe im greedy but both cars land and star wars land would be great

FrankLapidus

I can think of bigger theme park potential material: original theme park lands and rides.

The greatest theme park area anywhere in the world is still New Orleans Square. None of it based on any IP. Nor was Future World. Or Main Street.
It is a sad thought that none of these could be build nowadays anymore. IP franchises, even if the best out there, will always be second rate to unique original experiences.

I would agree with this, but Star Wars is probably the only franchise whose potential for theme park attractions really excites me. And because SW and Indy have been a part of WDW for as long as I have been going there, I have a familiarity with them that leads me to think that they fit. I would still love to see something like Beastly Kingdom somewhere down the line but as you say, attitudes have changed to such projects today and they just don't seem likely to happen anytime soon.

mickey2008.1

Lets just hope that this means finally making DHS a really cool movie themed park. So much potential. And to see more Star Wars movies, great! I see a Star Wars monorail in the future.

Mawg

just throwing it out there.... do you think they would concentrate on the movies first and then around 2016 begin adding to DHS into a full blown star wars land....maybe im greedy but both cars land and star wars land would be great

I think they'll do both together so that they can promote them together. 2015 will be a great year.

John

Yes, especially the big fish like Iger and Lucas and Co. who will walk away with the largest chunks of money.

For all the talk of Marvel being a huge asset for Disney, Avengers didn't make John Carter disappear ... and Spidey made a load of money that went to Sony etc.

I think common sense only says you don't judge a deal the day it is announced. It sure looks good for both parties, but time will tell.

This I will totally agee with. But it wont be that hard to recoup the intial investment. Yes, 4 Bil is a butt load of money but in the world they play in that isnt that large. Even you and Lee thought it would take much more. I never took my "fanboi pants" off...lol I am with you on how the parks have been ran. Even the Spirit can find reason to atleast be mildly excited over the possibilities. I also agree with another poster that between all of these aquisitions if they could have atleast took a small portion of this money it could have went a long way in spruceing up the parks. Now if they parlay these properties into the profits that are possible there will be absolutely no reason to not do things such as maintence and taking care of CM's.....then again there is the unseemly buisness of profit bonuses one must consider.

G00fyDad

I have been at work all day and just saw this news. My head just asploded. This is awesome news! Disney making a new Star Wars film is insane! I can only hope that they somewhat pickup where the last ones left off and do not do a "reboot". Bring on the Jacen Solo to Darth Caidus, Jaina "Sword of the Jedi" Solo, and martyr Anakin Solo story lines. Heck, ANY expanded Universe story lines will do! :D

Can anyone see a Star Wars land being put in at DHS instead of Carsland now?

The Empress Lilly

I would agree with this, but Star Wars is probably the only franchise whose potential for theme park attractions really excites me. And because SW and Indy have been a part of WDW for as long as I have been going there, I have a familiarity with them that leads me to think that they fit. I would still love to see something like Beastly Kingdom somewhere down the line but as you say, attitudes have changed to such projects today and they just don't seem likely to happen anytime soon.
Quite so. For me too, by sheer personal emotional attachment, SW alone is indeed the only franchise that can rival Disney originals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom