Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

jdmdisney99

Being a Star Wars nerd from way back (still remember seeing the first movie back in '77) I'm both excited and cautious about Episode VII. Hopefully Disney places the franchise in capable hands.

Now get busy building Mos Eisley Cantina so I can have a cup of blue milk and enjoy some music from an animatronic recreation of the band from the original movie.
I would literally buy a gallon of blue milk and make them let me take it on the plane.

Tom

Beta Return
On a more serious note, I'm setting the bar VERY high for TWDC and WDI and TDO. Just for the record.

I also think we're in for some serious surprises at the "What's Next" announcement. Leaked plans - perhaps a decoy. Cars Land coming to DHS - perhaps a decoy. Or - maybe a little bit of everything, plus things we haven't even thought of.

JustInTime

It is a GREAT deal for Disney at that price. Lee and I discussed the rumours recently (and as he says below) the figure we had (and was talked about) was well above the price Disney got.. Much like with Muppets and Pixar, they're buying properties that are already part of the fiber of their P&R business.

Versus a deal with say Marvel, the fit is a great one. BUT ... you are absolutely right, this seals the coffin that Disney itself will be creating any new compelling product that isn't from one these BRANDS and that's sad for a company that has been so trendsetting.

I wonder what this means for the Studios makeover (I'm certainly even more convinced it will be big and impressive) and what it means for Iger's timeline for leaving.

Yeah, as we talked about I thought he'd be pushing for $8-10 billion. ... I dunno, though, when it seems too good to be true ...
So you can pretty much confirm a DHS expansion at this point? And an impressive one? Typically with Disney if there is smoke, there is fire. This is the most direct speculation i've seen.

WDWmazprty

The new Star Wars themed show in DHS: The Jedi Princess Wars

Sith_Princesses_by_JosephB222.jpg

Beholder

I really don't know what to say. Quite a few if my childhood properties are under one "umbrella" now. I'm just shocked at this. The potential is unlimited. Disney has no excuses now. They have the FORCE. Now, if only they'd build something from the Darkside...

The Empress Lilly

An announcement of this magnitude will certainly have the competition very concerned. With the Disney catalogue, throw in Pixar, Marvel, and now LucasFilm. wow - could you ask for any bigger theme park potential material?!? They just need to make really good use of it now.
I can think of bigger theme park potential material: original theme park lands and rides.

The greatest theme park area anywhere in the world is still New Orleans Square. None of it based on any IP. Nor was Future World. Or Main Street.
It is a sad thought that none of these could be build nowadays anymore. IP franchises, even if the best out there, will always be second rate to unique original experiences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom