Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

jdmdisney99

Will it be Spirited?
I feel it will. I feel it will. Wait. I feel a disturbance! "They will crush the promise of journeys to Doner, And bring about adventures of a bird named Drahow who isn't a loner." ;) (hint: it's a prophecy with anagrams that hopefully won't come true)

Skippy's Pal

Look at this from a strictly strategic and nostalgic standpoint. Those of us that grew up loving Star Wars and Indy are in our mid 30's-mid 40's and represent a boatload of disposable income as well as a direct conduit to probably 98% of the children in America. It was a foregone conclusion that our kids would love SW. This was strategically genius and a steal of a deal.

OK. I'll admit that I'm one of those "aging Baby Boomers," and my frame of reference is more Davy Crockett than Han Solo. Clearly the business opportunities associated with this are amazing. I would also agree that Disney's focus has to be on the incomes and families of the 30- and 40-somethings, as opposed to we grandparental types who may still be funding (and even still going on) WDW visits, but with decreasing frequency.

Still: permit me to shed a tear concerning what seems to be the changing Disney DNA; the apparent de-emphasis on internal development; the questionable future of what that "Disney feeling" or "Disney nostalgia" has been.

On the other hand, would have been fun to be in the room when James Cameron found out he was becoming a much smaller fish in a much larger pond. And finally, Bob: when you're making out the check to George Lucas, could you find $300. and fix Splash Mountain before getting fitted for your personal light saber?

Beholder

I'm not sure at all how any of this is going to play out, but you would have to believe it's going to be good. Disneys portfolio has just been plussed 1000% with an American icon (Indiana Jones) of universal recognition, if not appeal. And throw in one of the the largest film franchises in terms of box office and merchandising history, and homerun! This has just got even more interesting!

DocMcHulk

And, like UNI, they need to start now. Not take 18 months to show 3-4 pieces of possible artwork. Pay folks. Work OT and show us how you're going to WOW us again.

Is that too much to ask?
I have no doubt there are more than a few Imaginers who would be more than willing to put in a lot of OT for this...

LithiumBill

Yes, they really have NO excuses now at all. They have so much IP to play with. The days of crap like SGE or simplistic rides with screens like TSMM or attractions that are poorly conceived like MS and EE must come to an end or they need to clean house at WDI as well as TDB.

And, like UNI, they need to start now. Not take 18 months to show 3-4 pieces of possible artwork. Pay folks. Work OT and show us how you're going to WOW us again.

Is that too much to ask?
PREACH ON!

Atomicmickey

Is anyone else hallucinating?

yohulra.jpg

prberk

OK, I love the propects for the parks and the companies, but I have one reservation:

Can you see the Star Wars films without the 20th Century Fox logo on them?

As much as I love Disney, Star Wars films go with the 20th Century Fox logo! I can't imagine that opening crawl without being preceded by the Fox fanfare!!

(I wanted to respond here first, where I have followed the story, but I decided it really belonged in the film section, so I created a thread over there just for this... http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...e-will-disney-drop-fox-from-new-films.855055/ It includes the clips of the orignal intros.)

Anyway, i thought of it here, and wanted to say it here, so I have. But i also gave us geeks another place just to think about that part of the deal!

jdmdisney99

OK, I love the propects for the parks and the companies, but I have one reservation:

Can you see the Star Wars films without the 20th Century Fox logo on them?

As much as I love Disney, Star Wars films go with the 20th Century Fox logo! I can't imagine that opening crawl without being preceded by the Fox fanfare!!

(I wanted to respond here first, where I have followed the story, but I decided it really belonged in the film section, so I created a thread over there just for this... http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...e-will-disney-drop-fox-from-new-films.855055/ It includes the clips of the orignal intros.)

Anyway, i thought of it here, and wanted to say it here, so I have. But i also gave us geeks another place just to think about that part of the deal!
But now you get the Disney intro and a castle. :rolleyes: I know, it won't be the same. I was thinking, can you imagine Star Wars posters with the DISNEY logo really noticeably placed above the epic STAR WARS?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom