Disney Bus Fatally Hits Pedestrian

WDWmazprty

Tram car fail
picture.php

:lol:

JafarMaleficent

Well of course he wasn't in a crosswalk, if this happened in the parking lot. The fact that the incident took place in an area where buses are generally not supposed to go adds a new layer to the 'whose fault' argument. Although, if this is just bad wording and 'parking lot' really means 'bus stop at the front of the parking lot where buses are expected and supposed to go', then that makes things different.

Staying there which I have to admit was crowded I saw where the accident was and it was in front of the bus stop.

floridabill

Let me start off by saying yes it is a sad situation, but I am here right now having a lovely time. But the people are clueless I was on the bus at down town disney, and people on the pleasure island side were walking in the bus lane!:dazzle: just sprawled out the bus beeped 3 times and they didn't move. also I saw a couple running inn the bus route to chase it down. It is no surprise this happened. People just really need to be more aware of there surroundings. I feel bad for the drivers cause they always catch the blame but it's not always there fault.

Midnight Garden

According to a former CM on another message board (some of you may have already read this as well), she spoke to a current CM who arrived on the scene just after it happened. The CM said he was on the road up closer to the gate area, it was dark and wet in that area, and the bus driver couldn't see him until the last minute. The CM said that it looked like the bus driver tried to avoid the man and took out a fire hydrant. He was hit and thrown, not ran over.

Anyway, the person who reported this information is someone I trust with reputable information. I don't think she posts on this board but I could be wrong.

mp2bill

completely surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet. I have seen threads that didn't seam all that bad be locked...so mods, where are you anyways?

Huh? I assume a lot of posts have been deleted.

For as "many" accidents as Disney has, I would say it's a positive number considering how many busses Disney has running at one time. Think of how many hours a week Disney busses are going and how few accidents occur.
QUOTE]

This is just like airplane crashes. People start talking about it because it seems like it's happening more often than it should. I remember about 15 years ago there were about 3 or 4 airplane crashes in one year, and people were freaking out. However, (as we all have heard the statistics) compared to the number flights that take place every single day, air travel is the safest form of travel in the world. This speaks to your point that with the amount of visitors and the amount of busses running each day at WDW, these things are bound to happen, but statistically, it doesn't happen any more often at WDW than anywhere else in the world.

Additionally, I think that today's 24-hour news cycles and Orlando Sentinel (whose main source of news seems to be stories coming of WDW) make the situation seem worse than it is.

flavious27

According to a former CM on another message board (some of you may have already read this as well), she spoke to a current CM who arrived on the scene just after it happened. The CM said he was on the road up closer to the gate area, it was dark and wet in that area, and the bus driver couldn't see him until the last minute. The CM said that it looked like the bus driver tried to avoid the man and took out a fire hydrant. He was hit and thrown, not ran over.

Anyway, the person who reported this information is someone I trust with reputable information. I don't think she posts on this board but I could be wrong.

well it was at 5:30 at night in December, it will be dark at that time. it is tragetic when this happens because not only are you losing a family member unexpectedly, you are on vacation at disney. by what has been said, this could have been avoided.

Scott&Jaime

We were at Disney Magic Kingdom that day, and can easily see how someone could be struck. The park was oversold, clearly. Maybe not by Disney standards, but certainly by an uninformed new visitor's standards. The exits were unorganized, confusing, pandemonium. The interior of the parks were the same. It was our opinion that it was dangerous, and we didn't even know of the horrible accident at the time. In shoulder to shoulder crowds, rushing for seats on trams, trolleys, buses, and trains, you simply cannot see ground markings, signs, staff direction, etc. It's pure confusion, and dangerous. I'm sure the bus driver feels terrible and I'm very sorry for the family. But, Disney really needs to take another look at crowd control...and my feeling is that it should first do so by reducing park occupancy...it was so crowded it was not fun at all. We left, after fighting crowds to get out that evening. Saying that the bus driver is not at fault, does not excuse Disney for allowing such horribly overcrowded conditions.

juan

We were at Disney Magic Kingdom that day, and can easily see how someone could be struck. The park was oversold, clearly. Maybe not by Disney standards, but certainly by an uninformed new visitor's standards. The exits were unorganized, confusing, pandemonium. The interior of the parks were the same. It was our opinion that it was dangerous, and we didn't even know of the horrible accident at the time. In shoulder to shoulder crowds, rushing for seats on trams, trolleys, buses, and trains, you simply cannot see ground markings, signs, staff direction, etc. It's pure confusion, and dangerous. I'm sure the bus driver feels terrible and I'm very sorry for the family. But, Disney really needs to take another look at crowd control...and my feeling is that it should first do so by reducing park occupancy...it was so crowded it was not fun at all. We left, after fighting crowds to get out that evening. Saying that the bus driver is not at fault, does not excuse Disney for allowing such horribly overcrowded conditions.

Please read the original post first.

This incident occurred in the Port Orleans parking lot and had absolutely nothing to do with the crowds at the Magic Kingdom.

Captain Chaos

As for this accident, it is sad... Thoughts to the family and friends of the deceased as well as to the bus driver who will always have this on their mind for the rest of their life...

WDW Monorail

Park occupancy levels are set by the Reedy Creek Fire Dept. These levels fluctuate throughout the year depending on the number of guest areas that are open (attractions, restauants, shops, open air walkways) and staffing.

Being in the parks at this time last year, I never felt overcrowded. Yes there were a lot of people but if one pays attention, one would get through it. The parks are designed, especially the MK, to funnel people from one part of the park to another. I feel more "overcrowded" in Giants Stadium than I did in WDW. A place stadium to hold 81,000 spectators will hold 81,000 spectators if it is at maximum capacity.

I also fail to see how possible overcrowding contributed to this accident but I see that has already been addressed in previous replies.

disneyrcks

This story is absolutely heartbreaking....I hope the family can find some way to cope.....to those of u who immediately gave thoughts of negativitey.....well u are just a DB.

wdwmomof3

My heart goes out to the family and to the bus driver. Accidents happen so very fast. After reading about this and other recent accidents, I am going to have a long talk about safety at Disney before we go back in May. Sometimes we get caught up in the moment and forget just how dangerous our surroundings can be, even at Disney. We all need to be very careful, and keep an eye on the ones that we love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom