Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

AEfx

I wasnt kidding when I heard something about Ep7 possibly being the "first $4B Movie".....

Wouldn't that be something?

And George Lucas' brain breaks realizing the potential that was there - that he could have made what he got for the entire Star Wars empire by only making one more film. ;)

Though, I'd want to talk him down off that ledge - I'd have to remind him that if he had made it, it likely wouldn't have played out the same way. :D

PhotoDave219

And George Lucas' brain breaks realizing the potential that was there - that he could have made what he got for the entire Star Wars empire by only making one more film. ;)

Though, I'd want to talk him down off that ledge - I'd have to remind him that if he had made it, it likely wouldn't have played out the same way. :D
It would be something.....

Alas, Lucas' name will never be forgotten. The man has left a legacy and created one of the greatest pieces of art in history.

doctornick

I've got to say that all the talk about The Force Awakens' box office is the kind of silliness that leads to people calling Age of Ultron as a "disappointment". If the stars align, sure it could pass Avatar and even go beyond a $3B box office. Who knows. But a heck of a lot of factors go into play when it comes between separating the blockbusters from the mega-blockbusters from the super-ultra-mega-blockbusters.

Lots of things just happened perfectly for Avatar to get to $2.7B worldwide. Keep in mind that it's take is still over $1.2B more than The Avengers pulled in. There's absolutely zero doubt that The Force Awakens is going to be a massive hit. But nobody really knows if it will "merely" get to $1.8B or be such a cultural phenomena that people will watch it over and over in the theaters and manage to draw in guests who would otherwise not go see that "type" of film.

I've seen good arguments how the (unorthodox for a Star Wars film) release date will work either for or against its box office. I'm very intrigued as to how it will all play out.

PhotoDave219

I've got to say that all the talk about The Force Awakens' box office is the kind of silliness that leads to people calling Age of Ultron as a "disappointment". If the stars align, sure it could pass Avatar and even go beyond a $3B box office. Who knows. But a heck of a lot of factors go into play when it comes between separating the blockbusters from the mega-blockbusters from the super-ultra-mega-blockbusters.

Lots of things just happened perfectly for Avatar to get to $2.7B worldwide. Keep in mind that it's take is still over $1.2B more than The Avengers pulled in. There's absolutely zero doubt that The Force Awakens is going to be a massive hit. But nobody really knows if it will "merely" get to $1.8B or be such a cultural phenomena that people will watch it over and over in the theaters and manage to draw in guests who would otherwise not go see that "type" of film.

I've seen good arguments how the (unorthodox for a Star Wars film) release date will work either for or against its box office. I'm very intrigued as to how it will all play out.

I agree with the silliness aspect. I just want a good movie.

Now.... With such a release date, perhaps they have thoughts of Oscars in their heads?

AEfx

Lots of things just happened perfectly for Avatar to get to $2.7B worldwide.

Absolutely. Avatar was about being the first film to show off the new tech in that way. It was a looky-loo let's find out about this digital 3D thing. It was also when people were more willing to pay the 3D tax before it became so common place.

I don't care how much Star Wars makes in the end - doesn't change how I feel about the film that is made. I don't even care what it ends up being about. I have zero expectations there - Princess Leia is there, that's all I care about. I do think overall though it's the most perfect confluence of events that could have ever happened with Star Wars, and that this is really the most unreal thing to begin with...imagine even four years ago even discussing getting the old gang back together? We live in a crazy time!

I agree with the silliness aspect. I just want a good movie.

Now.... With such a release date, perhaps they have thoughts of Oscars in their heads?

Oh I forget, you are so adorably Unsullied. ;)

It was originally scheduled for last month. It was an insane time schedule to begin with...then a cast member got an ouchie...which was a great excuse to move it six months.

That said...I don't think it will hurt the chances of Academy attention, either. :)

PhotoDave219

Absolutely. Avatar was about being the first film to show off the new tech in that way. It was a looky-loo let's find out about this digital 3D thing. It was also when people were more willing to pay the 3D tax before it became so common place.

I don't care how much Star Wars makes in the end - doesn't change how I feel about the film that is made. I don't even care what it ends up being about. I have zero expectations there - Princess Leia is there, that's all I care about. I do think overall though it's the most perfect confluence of events that could have ever happened with Star Wars, and that this is really the most unreal thing to begin with...imagine even four years ago even discussing getting the old gang back together? We live in a crazy time!

Oh I forget, you are so adorably Unsullied. ;)

It was originally scheduled for last month. It was an insane time schedule to begin with...then a cast member got an ouchie...which was a great excuse to move it six months.

That said...I don't think it will hurt the chances of Academy attention, either. :)

It wont beat "Love and Mercy," which if youre a beach boys fan, gotta go watch.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yeah, people tend to forget how big a gap there is between Avengers in third place and Titanic in second. Most of the movies between positions 10 and 3 have $100 million or less between them and the next one below, but spots 2 and 3 are separated by $668 million and then Avatar tacks on another $602 million beyond that. To put that in perspective, in 2014 only twelve movies earned more then just the difference between Titanic and Avatar.

misterID

I've made some lengthy posts as to why, I won't make this one too long. I'm very very cautious about predicting the future normally. And I truly am able to see past my hopes and what I really see happening in reality on the rare occasions I do.

Here's what I have seen: people that haven't seen a Star Wars film in 30 years, who haven't seen a "space" movie since then, or who were fans when they were kids but haven't watched anything after ROTJ - at the minimum they get this huge goofy grin like they are 8, and I have watched grown men tear up at the trailer. I was in an office the day it hit the net - I saw "viral" happen until folks set up a conference room to show it repeatedly and dozens and dozens of folks (from 20-somethings to grandmothers) and every single one was "I'd see that" at the least just from seeing Harrison Ford.

It's only recently that I've really admitted that I don't think there is a "chance" it could overtake Avaturd, that the evidence is mounting (particularly past the second trailer) and it really is pretty much the most sure thing I've ever seen in my life.

That said, I understand I sound like a lunatic and anyone who is skeptical is completely within rational thought to think so, LOL.

All I know is if "Furious 7" can make 1.5B, the return of one of the most beloved casts and stories ever told on film is returning thirty years later to continue the story, using the same style of film-making that everyone fell in love with to begin with, then it's got a pretty gosh darn good chance of making twice that.
I still maintain had Paul Walker not died F7 wouldn't have done those numbers. And the "farewell scene" helped word of mouth about wanting to see it.

Seeing the old cast is going to bring in numbers, no doubt. And I like what I hear about JJ using physical effects and sets -- not shooting the film on green screens -- it makes me feel really good. But I'm still not buying that it'll be the biggest film of all time. I mean, it could, I'm just... Eh. I dont know. The movie is still going to be centered on the new cast so it's going to ultimately live and die on them.

If it's as big as you guys think, SWL at DHS could become huge. There will be no justification for not making it a big expansion at WDW.

JimboJones123

$4 billion isn't all profit. Don't forget the costs involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom