Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Mike C

This topic is a good litmus test to determine how deeply folks have been affected by Disney Marketing (and generally showcases a whole chapter that could be written in a book about it..)

Mavel owned by Disney = automatic magic in a lot minds. Which could not be further from the truth in the current WDW management climate. In fact, judging by their recent track record, people should be glad Universal has it and is actually intending to improve it quite a bit.

Last edited:

asianway

Haha got into a debate on this very topic with a co-worker the other day. She said she couldn't wait until Nintendoland was built at Islands of Adventure so Disney could finally build a Marvel Land at WDW.

I corrected her, but she insisted I had no idea what I was talking about and that all that's holding Disney back from building mega Marvel Lands is Universal still having the theme park rights and as soon as WDW 'cancels' Universal's contract, they will begin construction.

Some people just refuse to hear anything other than what they want to hear.
Sounds like Disney facebook

doctornick

I really feel that Marvel has hit their peak popularity and will slowly ebb back down. Avengers 2 didnt do GA-GA numbers.

Yeah, you're right. It's only going to end up as the 5th highest grossing movie of all time*. How will they ever survive such a bomb?

Less tongue in cheek: Age of Ultron has done quite well and reviews have generally been quite positive. While I wouldn't pretend that the MCU (and comic book movies in generally) won't fade in popularity at some point, I don't think anything about Age of Ultron's performance suggests that it is happening now. And we are less than a year since Guardians of the Galaxy was basically hailed as showing that MCU could make gold out of anything.

*=yes, I know, not adjusted for inflation.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, you're right. It's only going to end up as the 5th highest grossing movie of all time*. How will they ever survive such a bomb?

Less tongue in cheek: Age of Ultron has done quite well and reviews have generally been quite positive. While I wouldn't pretend that the MCU (and comic book movies in generally) won't fade in popularity at some point, I don't think anything about Age of Ultron's performance suggests that it is happening now. And we are less than a year since Guardians of the Galaxy was basically hailed as showing that MCU could make gold out of anything.

*=yes, I know, not adjusted for inflation.

Well they didnt do Furious7 numbers worldwide. (To be fair, no one saw that coming)

Yes I liked Ultron, liked it better than the first one. I enjoy the movies. I just think we've reached a point of oversaturation where the general public might start to lose interest.

Although I think WB has much more to be concerned with....

doctornick

It will be very interesting to see how well it does (and how well it will be interpreted to have done). The solo Marvel films generally cost 50-60% of an Avengers film, and do half the business (give or take a few hundred mill). So it certainly shouldn't have Avengers expectations, but if it manages to make 400-600M, it would say that indeed they are at least still maintaining the plateau, if not upping it.

All the MCU films since The Avengers have made more than $600M. Even if it "bombs", I think Ant Man is a shoo-in for $400M and think it's likely to end up in the $500-600M range unless it's a bad film.

I realize that you can't always tell these public shifts until it's "too late" but I haven't really seen anything to suggest that the general public has anything but continued excitement about the MCU. Even among people who felt that AoU wasn't as good as it's predecessor, most still seemed to like AoU well enough. I don't get much of a "I'm sick of the MCU" vibe anywhere.

Meh. I'm not excited by Suicide Squad.

I think that a villain centric film has a lot of potential and will be quite different from other stuff in the genre. But the timing of Suicide Squad is all off IMHO. Outside of The Joker and Harley Quinn, no one else has significant public awareness. I think they needed to introduce some of the characters (Deadshot, Boomarang, whoever) in other movies here and there such that half the team is kinda known. And since BvS seems to be setting up The Justice League more than anything, I don't think we'll get a lot of intros in that which would build SS.

We'll see, but I think DC should have gone with more established character films first before doing Suicide Squad.

Im suggesting the market is oversaturated.

Now? I don't see how one could say that. Sure, you have misses here and there, but when a comic book movie is good, it does quite well. I don't see people rejecting films out of boredom (yet).

We'll hit that point someday I'm sure, but it's not clear if it will be 2016 or 2024 or whatever. One thing I do think is that it's possible that some film groups will survive and prosper better than others -- and I think that the MCU, as things currently are, seems the most likely to be the last one standing if it comes to that. We'll see.

On that note, I think that the Fantastic Four movie this summer will bomb, but it won't reflect a problem with comic films in general. Just that bad films don't do as well in any genre.

AEfx

I realize that you can't always tell these public shifts until it's "too late" but I haven't really seen anything to suggest that the general public has anything but continued excitement about the MCU. Even among people who felt that AoU wasn't as good as it's predecessor, most still seemed to like AoU well enough. I don't get much of a "I'm sick of the MCU" vibe anywhere.

I don't, either. The audience only seems to be increasing on them as more folks "catch up".

That said, with the aggressive slate Warners is about to start next year, and the fact that folks just simply don't go to the movies like they used to, they do run the risk of being so "episodic" that folks end up just waiting for video, especially since release dates for home viewing are almost always announced by the end of the first box office weekend, if not sooner. No waiting a year or 9 or even 6 months anymore, and with HDTV and Blu-ray, "big screen" is still...big, but the experience doesn't always benefit from it measurably. (Plus for me I have better sound in my home than most theaters, LOL.)

I don't think it's as much of a "trend" as folks like to box it in as (comic book movies), a good movie is a good movie - comic book based films are really the new Action - it's just instead of generic terrorist/foreign invaders/guys with mustaches type of films that Die Hard spawned they are based on well-known IPs.

That said, Star Wars is about to change the game again - so all bets are really off for 2016.

Bairstow

Between the firing of Edgar Wright and the studio second-guessing Whedon's work on Avengers 2, the future is looking progressively dim for the quality of the Marvel movies.
They're still going to make a ton of money, though, probably for another decade, on momentum alone.

Suicide Squad, on the other hand, looks like a mess right of the gate.

AEfx

Suicide Squad, on the other hand, looks like a mess right of the gate.

I keep waiting for folks to realize that with the Batman franchise, there is room for many Batmen, just as there is room for many Jokers. This is a more youthful take on the character and judging it by appearance alone is a mistake.

That's why the reaction to him (and Batfleck) were so funny to me. If anyone is old enough to remember the extreme controversy when Keaton was cast as Batman - back before the Internet and folks were just discussing it standing around in comic stores - yet that made media headlines, the Twits posted about both castings today were like tiny little fan boy ripples in comparison, LOL. If it had been that easy to scream your complaints to the world in 1989, it would have broken the Internet had it existed in the form it does today.

As great as Ledger's performance was, like much of Nolan's Batman, it was missing some key aspects of what make the characters so timeless. Ledger's Joker wasn't insane. He was quite calculating and was an anarchist, but not unpredictable/crazy as the Joker is supposed to be. (Case in point - when Nicholson's Joker shot Bob the Goon it was a split second decision; when Ledger's Joker killed his goons, it was completely planned and premeditated).

Personally, while I thought the Nolan Bat-films were okay (the first one is rather boring, and Katie Holmes is so miscast it's a distraction, the second one is of course very good, and I actually quite enjoyed the third one because I felt Nolan finally made a Bat-character with Selina), they were missing to me the key elements that make up Batman. Particularly Gotham City - New Chicago just didn't do it for me. The gothic in Gotham is as much a character as anything else - and is the contrast between Superman/Metropolis (which is why Nolan's Batman would never have worked in a shared universe).

Suicide Squad could be crap - won't know till we see it - it wouldn't have been my next choice - but neither would Thor, Iron Man, or GoG have been my choices to make films out of, either. I'm willing to be surprised, and while folks are so centered on the appearance of the new Joker (which really isn't that extreme, it's not like they made him tan with blue hair), I think they are forgetting the fact that if they are going to get someone to play bat-crap crazy Joker as he is traditionally portrayed, they certainly picked the perfect actor to do it.

PhotoDave219

I keep waiting for folks to realize that with the Batman franchise, there is room for many Batmen, just as there is room for many Jokers. This is a more youthful take on the character and judging it by appearance alone is a mistake.

That's why the reaction to him (and Batfleck) were so funny to me. If anyone is old enough to remember the extreme controversy when Keaton was cast as Batman - back before the Internet and folks were just discussing it standing around in comic stores - yet that made media headlines, the Twits posted about both castings today were like tiny little fan boy ripples in comparison, LOL. If it had been that easy to scream your complaints to the world in 1989, it would have broken the Internet had it existed in the form it does today.

As great as Ledger's performance was, like much of Nolan's Batman, it was missing some key aspects of what make the characters so timeless. Ledger's Joker wasn't insane. He was quite calculating and was an anarchist, but not unpredictable/crazy as the Joker is supposed to be. (Case in point - when Nicholson's Joker shot Bob the Goon it was a split second decision; when Ledger's Joker killed his goons, it was completely planned and premeditated).

Personally, while I thought the Nolan Bat-films were okay (the first one is rather boring, and Katie Holmes is so miscast it's a distraction, the second one is of course very good, and I actually quite enjoyed the third one because I felt Nolan finally made a Bat-character with Selina), they were missing to me the key elements that make up Batman. Particularly Gotham City - New Chicago just didn't do it for me. The gothic in Gotham is as much a character as anything else - and is the contrast between Superman/Metropolis (which is why Nolan's Batman would never have worked in a shared universe).

Suicide Squad could be crap - won't know till we see it - it wouldn't have been my next choice - but neither would Thor, Iron Man, or GoG have been my choices to make films out of, either. I'm willing to be surprised, and while folks are so centered on the appearance of the new Joker (which really isn't that extreme, it's not like they made him tan with blue hair), I think they are forgetting the fact that if they are going to get someone to play bat-crap crazy Joker as he is traditionally portrayed, they certainly picked the perfect actor to do it.

No, my problem with WB Comic Book movies that outside of Superman & Superman 2, the Original Batman and The Dark Knight, they're all bad.

Really bad.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

Make of this picture what you will (no but actually look towards the top). It's from the 24-hour event a week ago.

rWHXMfz.jpg

AEfx

No, my problem with WB Comic Book movies that outside of Superman & Superman 2, the Original Batman and The Dark Knight, they're all bad.

Really bad.

There is a 60 minute cut fan edit out there of Batman Returns which eliminates all but the essential Penguin and focuses almost entirely on Catwoman...it's one heck of an enjoyable hour, you should check it out. :)

bhg469

Im gonna reference silence of the lambs here..... "..... or it gets the hose again"
Do yourself a favor and look up a video called "it puts the lotion in the basket" by the greens keepers. :)

Also remember my friends "spacefellas" series? He also made "gay batman", 3 part series, not amazing but worth a watch. His joker in the third movie is better than the new one.

seascape

Well they didnt do Furious7 numbers worldwide. (To be fair, no one saw that coming)

Yes I liked Ultron, liked it better than the first one. I enjoy the movies. I just think we've reached a point of oversaturation where the general public might start to lose interest.

Although I think WB has much more to be concerned with....
I am surprised you would say that since it has not open in Japan yet. No one can say for sure yet that it will not pass Furious7. It may not but no one knows yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom