Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

mahnamahna101

My guess for the MSHI revamp (summer-fall 2018):

1. Island renamed Avengers Island (all X-Men and Fantastic Four theming will be removed, only Avengers/MCU related characters will be included)
  2. Hulk gets a massive upgrade (immersive queue, updated queue videos, LED lights, more fog, skyscrapers/buildings for the track to weave around, Hulk projection effect similar to Revenge of the Mummy)
  3. Streetmosphere show along the lagoon themed to Captain America
  4. Avengers/Iron Man E-ticket to replace Doom and Carnage warehouse
  5. Spider-Man gets minor upgrades, possibly an Avengers-related storyline
  6. Storm Force Acceleration upgraded and rethemed to Thor (enclosed, Thor/Loki AAs, strobe lights, fog, additional wind effects, wraparound screen to simulate a storm outside)
  7. Facades will be fleshed out to look like an actual city (similar to Springfield USH, DM USH, and Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade)

H2O_Mouse-Ears

TWDC could do all of those things simultaneously without jeopardizing cash flow. But it would not be without consequences. Most specifically, Wall Street wouldn't like a "mature" company like TWDC spending so aggressively on capital projects unless there was an extremely healthy projected ROI.
Agreed. Sorry for the confusion. Of course TWDC has the funds but I meant does it have the allocated funds with the green light required from shareholders/upper management for theme park development.

WDW1974

Befote I bow out for a while, just want to make it crystal clear that when I was told of these possible developments in 2014, it was made clear to me that Hulk might be changing to a more popular Avenger and getting all new track, but same layout. Since then, I was told Hulk theme would likely stay. I am not sure what this will wind up being.

You can also take it to the bank that MSI will be getting a pair of new Marvel attractions, one very large scale, in addition to the work on the coaster.

And none of this means Hulk meet and greet and grunts are coming to Epcot, sorry fanbois.

Mr. Peabody

It seems like there should be room to allow Universal to take on that "risk" that Disney doesn't want and Disney to collect an appropriate licensing fee. And find a way to allow Disney to do the small scale stuff meet & greets, parade appearance or something without harming Universal's draw for the big stuff.
Universal would never allow that to happen. They don't stand to benefit at all from allowing those characters to be seen at their competitor's park down the road when the current arrangement gives them exclusive rights in perpetuity.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
That is true. What are they waiting for? Universal strikes while the iron is hot, Disney is one who waits and delays.
You get some of both for both companies. Uni waited 7 movies to do anything substantive with Fast and Furious. Disney put Frozen all over WDW right away.

tribbleorlfl

The legal implications of doing so would be folly. It is in Universal's best interests to keep it a general Marvel Island. It is hard to project how popular certain characters will be for all eternity.
I agree. While it's been a while since I've perused the contract, I believe Uni only has the rights to depict the characters as they appear in the comics. Doesn't mean WDW can turn around and use the MCU versions, just that I believe Marvel would be well within their rights to rejects any updates or additions if they attempted to do so.

gmajew

Personally I see no way Universal allows Marvel to leave their parks.

It would be great if it happened as it would give Disney the control of its IP but they already have to much on their plate currently to build right now.

They need to expand so many areas in the parks with new attractions not saying they need something EVERY YEAR as WDW is not consider a yearly visit for most people. Us lucky enough to do it are not the norm. I would guess a visit every 5 years is the average guest. No clue but my guess.

They need to grow the IP they have in their control today. Star Wars, Muppets, Avatar, Indy, Pixar and most important Disney own characters.... The list goes on and on with them.

Disney does not need to just toss marvel onto the pile as they need to work on all the above first and foremost.

doctornick

The rumor is a fairly substantial upgrade (including new ride(s)) for Marvel (NOT a retheme, unless you count re-theming from Marvel 90s to more modern Marvel a retheme)

That's the one thing I've wondered: Can they use the MCU depictions of characters? I'm assuming the answer is definitely no, not without Disney/Marvel's permission -- the original contract between Marvel and Uni would not have allowed for use film images that were later developed.

so, if there are some sort of negotiations going on between Disney and Comcast about Marvel at Uni, I would think a concession that Disney would give would be for Uni to be able to use the MCU versions of the characters.

Mr. Peabody

I agree. While it's been a while since I've perused the contract, I believe Uni only has the rights to depict the characters as they appear in the comics. Doesn't mean WDW can turn around and use the MCU versions, just that I believe Marvel would be well within their rights to rejects any updates or additions if they attempted to do so.
From the contract (emphasis added):
In developing and implementing THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, MCA will follow and be consistent with The Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe, Marvel’s Style Guide and such other descriptive design/style materials as may be provided by Marvel. This Marvel-themed complex would be designed in coordination with Marvel, and all major elements and themes would be subject to Marvel’s reasonable approval.

B. Marvel will reasonably cooperate in making information, artwork, archive material, key personnel, etc. available to MCA in order that MCA can creatively develop THE MARVEL UNIVERSE and exploit its rights hereunder. MCA will reimburse Marvel for its reasonable costs in this regard, including time of non-executive personnel and their reasonable travel expense.

C. Whenever Marvel has “reasonable” rights for rejection of approval hereunder, the basic criteria to be used by Marvel may include inconsistency with (i) basic story line, (ii) the powers, (iii) basic personality traits, (iv) physical appearance (including clothing or costume), and/or (v) living habitat or environment relating to such character as portrayed in Marvel’s exploitation of such character in comic books or other products for the particular time period being depicted by MCA.
It makes sense to me that "other products" would include movies, which would mean that Universal could use MCU or other movie versions of the Marvel characters. However, @marni1971 said earlier that the movie depictions of these characters fall into a bit of a legal gray area, so I won't fully commit to that position at this time.

EDIT: I spoke without thinking, see this post for continued discussion.

Last edited:

TP2000

Stark Expo basically IS what Future World should be.

If you want a pretend fake Stark Expo installed in Future World with fake cartoon inventions, then that's actually not what Future World should be.

Future World was created as a showcase for American commerce and industry, showcasing how American free enterprise can help improve people's lives and advance society. This concept was hatched 35 years ago, when this country still made most of what it consumed instead of shipping it all over from China. But there's still the ability to have Future World feature American industry in an entertaining way. Test Track 2.0 is a pretty good example. The big legacy companies should still have a place in Future World; GM, GE, IBM, Boeing, etc. But newer American companies should have also been brought in to keep the place fresh and relevant for the 21st century: Apple, Tesla, Google, etc.

"And EPCOT will always be a showcase to the world for the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise." - Walt Disney, 1966

A pretend fake Stark Expo might make for a kitschy-fun use for the old Carousel Theater buildings in Anaheim and Orlando, with a catchy theme song. But it has no place in Future World, if Future World and Epcot have any chance of being something worth keeping for a few more decades.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom