Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

khale1970

I read it as: "Universal and Marvel have come to an agreement that is mutually beneficial to both."

That makes sense in the context of what we've read, but I don't get how those negotiations would even take place based on what @MichWolv posted above. So is it possible its Comcast and TWDC who have agreed and Marvel is holding out? And if they did would it even matter?

Mr. Peabody

I read it as: "Universal and Marvel have come to an agreement that is mutually beneficial to both."
Yes, I see that I had it backwards now. Thanks for clearing that up. I was doing well on this topic for awhile. Now I'm really stepping in it. :oops: Sorry, guys.

GiveMeTheMusic

Per the contract they had to upgrade Spidey to keep the rights. Plus the walkaround characters costumes also had to be updated to stay within the contracts demands. Uni paid Disney to design the new costumes.

I am 99.99999% sure Disney did not design the new costumes. They've been developing their own (all of which so far have been exclusively seen at DLR).

Rodan75

TWDC owns, I believe 100% of the voting stock in Marvel. Marvel doesn't "agree" on its own, but only with the OK from TWDC, unless somebody is going off the reservation.

Ike is a major shareholder and from what we've heard a major PITA on the board, so Marvel gets a long long leash.

In the end Marvel theme park rights are about merchandise and as long as there is a high margin/ high volume relationship. I can't imagine today's $DIS fighting that deal.

GLaDOS

That makes sense in the context of what we've read, but I don't get how those negotiations would even take place based on what @MichWolv posted above. So is it possible its Comcast and TWDC who have agreed and Marvel is holding out? And if they did would it even matter?

Yes, I see that I had it backwards now. Thanks for clearing that up. I was doing well on this topic for awhile. Now I'm really stepping in it. :oops: Sorry, guys.

I'm not a lawyer or versed in contract law, so my understanding of this comes from merely reading the contract without knowing the finer points. The way I see it is this:

-Disney, while in charge of Marvel, is contractually obligated to act reasonably in regards to Universal's proposals for new attractions based on Marvel's characters.
-Universal presents a redo of Superhero Island to Marvel brass, who give their stamp of approval. Possibly due to Universal agreeing to drop all Fantastic Four and X-Men references from the redone land to stick it to Fox.
-Disney has no desire to allow this to go down, but under the wording of the contract has no real way of stopping it, so they approve it.

In the end, Universal gets to redo a land that needs it, Marvel gets a shiny new advertising area in a theme park, and Disney isn't happy, but can't do much about it. Hence 2 out of the 3 parties are satisfied.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

If the agreement is signed, sealed, delivered (thank you, Stevie Wonder), it very likely would be made public under securities laws. But if they are in the process of negotiating things but it isn't finalized (i.e., the contracts haven't been signed), then there likely would be no disclosure requirement as of yet.

mahnamahna101

Just to recap...

A D+ and an E last year
An E before that
An E currently being built
-in the same park as we're currently discussing a plussing and another E
And another E in the other park

Seems the Marvel IP, as big as it is, isn't the be all and end all for Comcast.
Plussing: Hulk?
E for IOA: Doom replacement
E for USF: Fast and Furious/Jimmy Fallon?

Just my guess.

lunchbox1175

My guess is that Spider Man could be in one place while The Avengers are in another. Or comic book Iron Man is in one place while Robert Downey, Jr. Iron Man is in another. Sounds like a terrible idea if you ask me. Just a fantastic way to confuse the consumer.
I think that would be a losing situation for UNI, as more people will relate to the movie characters.

lunchbox1175

Eh- so where is the "Peanuts" section of Universal. How about "The Bible" section of Disney. These theme parks in question are made off of movie IPs- so I figured that was the relevant part of the discussion. I didn't know we were discussing all forms of media consumption.
Is "The Bible" a part of media consumption?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
-Disney, while in charge of Marvel, is contractually obligated to act reasonably in regards to Universal's proposals for new attractions based on Marvel's characters.
-Universal presents a redo of Superhero Island to Marvel brass, who give their stamp of approval. Possibly due to Universal agreeing to drop all Fantastic Four and X-Men references from the redone land to stick it to Fox.
-Disney has no desire to allow this to go down, but under the wording of the contract has no real way of stopping it, so they approve it.
Not quite. The first point is correct. The second would not happen with Disney saying OK, because Disney controls Marvel. So unless a Marvel employee/exec were acting without approval from TWDC, Marvel wouldn't OK unless Disney Ok'd the Ok-ing.

But because of the first point, Disney/Marvel couldn't object if the Uni proposal was reasonable.

GLaDOS

Not quite. The first point is correct. The second would not happen with Disney saying OK, because Disney controls Marvel. So unless a Marvel employee/exec were acting without approval from TWDC, Marvel wouldn't OK unless Disney Ok'd the Ok-ing.

But because of the first point, Disney/Marvel couldn't object if the Uni proposal was reasonable.

I didn't mean for my point to mean that Marvel gives the final say, just that they're satisfied with the new plans, sorry.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Only speaking for myself as a consumer, I absolutely care. The Potter books were a huge part of my childhood. The Warner Brothers IP is crap.
Conversely, again only from myself, I never read the books. Forced myself to watch the films and enjoyed them.

The parks attendance recordings suggest the consensus that it didn't hurt to concentrate on the movie visualisations either.

Rodan75

All this messes with the Fanboi mentality. You can't have companies work together so they can make more money...whose side are we supposed to take. ;)

Given that TWDC company managed to work a deal with Sony to right the ship on the Spider-Man franchise, got Disney Movies Anywhere to register movies across Apple and Google Play and got Fox on-board with jointly releasing Star Wars on digital platforms...I would say they are pretty good at getting companies to come together for mutual benefit.

I think given that recent history...things are going to be very hard for some folks who want to take sides in the Disney-Uni "feud".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom