Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
382.gif

:cautious:

H2O_Mouse-Ears

Disney has owned Marvel for over 5 years now and what have they done with it in Disneyland? A few M&G, and a couple exhibits.
This is true.....
Makes me wonder why this is. Maybe too much is currently invested for its other projects such as Avatar Land and Shanghai Disneyland. The Iron Man Experience in HKDL seems pretty cool. Odd how Disneyland is not utilizing.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

A company the size of TWDC today could do both those with one eye closed.
Is this true? I understand TWDC is massive, but the funds for theme park development cannot be limitless. These two projects in itself must come with a hefty price tag even by their standards. But if this is the case, the high budget used for Next Gen Magic Bands should not irritate people as much as it did.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Is this true? I understand TWDC is massive, but the funds for theme park development cannot be limitless. These two projects in itself must come with a hefty price tag even by their standards. But if this is the case, the high budget used for Next Gen Magic Bands should not irritate people as much as it did.
Disney as a company has sufficient capital (and access to much more) to fund, if desired, projects the size of Avatar-land at every park simultaneously. That's not to say that it would necessarily be a smart thing to do (or that the capital markets wouldn't penalize the stock price if it happened). But if corporate management thought it WAS a smart thing to do, there'd be no problem having the capital to do it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
TWDC could do all of those things simultaneously without jeopardizing cash flow. But it would not be without consequences. Most specifically, Wall Street wouldn't like a "mature" company like TWDC spending so aggressively on capital projects unless there was an extremely healthy projected ROI.

WDW1974

Walt Disney Productions was tiny when it built EPCOT Center, TDL and a REALLY new Fantasyland in Anaheim at the same time. Today's Disney could be building multiple resorts the size of SDL at the same time if it wanted.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But who's paying for Shanghai?

hopemax

We know Disney is hesitant to take the risk or shell out the cash to develop large scale theme park projects. New Fantasyland did not have an E but 2 D's one added at the end, Avatarland is getting an E but not much else, Star Wars is going to take forever, Frozen gets the C/D treatment. Anything big Marvel, would be pushed off to 2030, even if Disney were free to build based on their current build strategy.

It seems like there should be room to allow Universal to take on that "risk" that Disney doesn't want and Disney to collect an appropriate licensing fee. And find a way to allow Disney to do the small scale stuff meet & greets, parade appearance or something without harming Universal's draw for the big stuff.

It seems like a classic case of a rising tide lifts all boats, but I know big business can't always see that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom