Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

the.dreamfinder

tumblr_lkdpe6Frbt1qd58j4o1_400.gif

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I believe you're right. However, there is another option, but it would involve Disney giving them a boat load of money in exchange for them releasing the licenses.
That wouldn't be "freely" then. ;)
To say Universal would never give up the rights for free is interesting. I thought they had. After all they had the rights to all of Marvel all over the world until they did give them up for a grand total of $0.00. They did not get one red cent. They kept the rights in Orlando because they had nothing else to put in its place. Now that they have decided to expand all over the world like Disney do you think they regret giving us the rights for nothing? In Japan the Marvel Characters will be leaving Universal Japan and going to Disney. Can't you see the wonderful commercials of that? Showing them leaving Universal property and moving to Disney.
Good lord, you're obnoxious.
They gave up those rights in 2001, a year before even the first Spiderman movie came out. Things are much different today, Marvel is considerably more valuable.
Bingo. On the nose.
SeaScape, Universal did not gift wrap the rights to Marvel and hand them to Disney like the keys to the city, they let them lapse and return to Marvel which, at the time, was not property of the mouse.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You are right. There may be no interest if Marvel, Nintendo, Harry Potter and all the Disney characters. However, Universal will still have to pay Nintendo and Warner Brothers and JKR will past 2030. Do you want to place a bet now on if Spiderman will be on interest to people? I would because Spiderman has been around a lot longer than either HP or Nintendo and I would expect it to continue. Do you think Universal would love to keep the rights or not in Japan? Do you think they would love to gain the rights to Spiderman back for the entire world? Just over 10 years in theme park rights is a short time and not a long way off.

Spiderman in Japan is a single ride that could easily be re-themed to something else. As the contract gets closer to expiration Universal will weight whether it's worth trying to renew the rights or if they would be better off just letting it go. As to whether Uni would love to keep the rights or not, it's impossible to guess at this point since we don't know how much public interest there will be in the franchise at the time the contact ends nor to be know if there is something they mind find more worthwhile in that spot. For all we know there will be an over saturation of the market with superheroes and a big backlash from the public.

WDW1974

So, I left this thread many days ago after 21 pages of people arguing facts (is this FOX News?) And now I see it has doubled in length with people still debating facts.

I must wonder why Disney fanbois take the fact that UNI has full and utter control of Marvel IP in Florida so badly. Are they dimwits? Because anyone who thinks Disney would jump on building major Marvel attractions at WDW if they could would be delusional. Disney has had Star Wars rights for countless years and has now owned the company outright for years. Do you see an increased, merchandise aside, presence of Star Wars product? In California and Paris where Disney is free to use Marvel IP and where they wouldn't face confusion like they did when selling Marvel crap in the parks in the swamps, what exactly have they done (meet-greet-and-gropes and ... yep ... nothing else)?

And then we have idiots that want to try and rewrite the etched in stone for perpetuity contract to suit their mental needs. UNI can -- and WILL -- add attractions to MSI (the big add, which is a bit away due to all the other projects, will make Disney fanbois cry in their Figment plush). No, the character depictions absolutely do NOT have to be pre-1999. They just have to accurately depict the characters. That's one of the reasons MSI will have a lot of work done to simply its basic appearance in the near future.

Oh, and while I haven't paid much attention to the situation in Japan. Osaka does have Spidey, but it isn't looking to expand a Marvel presence. And the OLC has ZERO interest right now in either Marvel or SW IP, so Disney has no Japanese play.

They're installing an Iron Man attraction (Star Wars on roids is how it was described to me) in HKDL with opening about a year plus away. Right now, SDL is just trying to open with no Marvel or SW presence at all.

Fanbois need to read and understand just how confused and whiny they come off as.

Sorry for the cold interruption, now you can go back to arguing facts and I'll come back in another 20-30 pages.

RSoxNo1

I really can't wait to see how the announcement of a new Marvel ride at IoA affects people here. I'm imagining a lot of people just passing out due to not being able to process the news correctly.
If anything it should put an end to the Disney is re-acquiring Marvel Rights discussions.

Jimmy Thick

Don't know how Universal could use the Marvel cinematic universe considering they have to use a specific style sheet as stated in the contract, and considering most people alive today only know the Marvel characters as those from the films, I highly doubt it would be considered reasonable to let Universal use them, which basically means IF, notice the big if, there are new Marvel attractions on the way its going to be the same static comic book style thats already in place, and with the exception of Spider-Man, its more Six Flags than Disney.

But then again I could be writing the show material in between typing this...

Jimmy Thick- I get blamed for this yet it continues without me...

RSoxNo1

To say Universal would never give up the rights for free is interesting. I thought they had. After all they had the rights to all of Marvel all over the world until they did give them up for a grand total of $0.00. They did not get one red cent. They kept the rights in Orlando because they had nothing else to put in its place. Now that they have decided to expand all over the world like Disney do you think they regret giving us the rights for nothing? In Japan the Marvel Characters will be leaving Universal Japan and going to Disney. Can't you see the wonderful commercials of that? Showing them leaving Universal property and moving to Disney.
That deal was different, it had an expiration date that the deal in Florida didn't have. That's like saying I gave up my Disney World Annual pass for nothing... no, I just didn't renew it.

RSoxNo1

They're installing an Iron Man attraction (Star Wars on roids is how it was described to me) in HKDL with opening about a year plus away. Right now, SDL is just trying to open with no Marvel or SW presence at all.

Fanbois need to read and understand just how confused and whiny they come off as.

Sorry for the cold interruption, now you can go back to arguing facts and I'll come back in another 20-30 pages.
This is nothing against you, just a personal pet peeve of mine - Is anyone else annoyed when anything and everything that's supposed to be bigger and better is described as "such and such... ON STEROIDS!" It's become a cliche way of describing things.

AndyMagic

Don't know how Universal could use the Marvel cinematic universe considering they have to use a specific style sheet as stated in the contract, and considering most people alive today only know the Marvel characters as those from the films, I highly doubt it would be considered reasonable to let Universal use them, which basically means IF, notice the big if, there are new Marvel attractions on the way its going to be the same static comic book style thats already in place, and with the exception of Spider-Man, its more Six Flags than Disney.

There is a reason this thread got started in the first place. Marvel and Universal ARE in discussions about the future of Marvel Island at IOA but those discussions involve the best way to proceed with the upcoming MSI expansion/redo. It behooves Disney and Marvel to keep the brand cohesive and since Universal has an iron-clad contract, it just doesn't make sense to prevent enhancements. 99% of the visitors to Islands of Adventure don't care who owns the Marvel brand and making sure guests have the best experience riding Spider-Man or the upcoming rumored Iron Man attraction only helps further the brand Marvel has curated over the past 10 years. It's the same reason Marvel/Disney has made an agreement with Sony to bring Spider-Man into the MCU. Running a successful business is a little more complicated and nuanced than picking sides at a football game.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Universal can use the current incarnation of the characters.

Jimmy Thick- Still living up to his surname, regardless of the account....

PhotoDave219

This is nothing against you, just a personal pet peeve of mine - Is anyone else annoyed when anything and everything that's supposed to be bigger and better is described as "such and such... ON STEROIDS!" It's become a cliche way of describing things.

It's like Barry Bonds........ (Wait for it)

(Keep waiting…)

(It's like the Star Wars announcement at this point)

Nahhhhhhhhhh. Not gonna do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom