Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I truly thought that Universal spending upwards of 20 Million bucks completely renovating Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man would have put all of this nonsense to rest but the topic just won't die.

1.) Universal negotiated the contract with Marvel when the studio was struggling.
2.) The existing licensing agreement allows Universal to use an IP that is now 500 times more valuable than it was when the contract was originally struck.
3.) Universal does NOT pay Disney huge sums of money to use the Marvel brand because the contract came together at a time when it wasn't worth much. To use a real estate metaphor, Universal moved into a rent-controlled apartment in Greenwich Village and there is very little anyone can do to make them move out.

I love the 3 point, great analogy!

NormC

First Disney does not need Marvel in WDW. They have enough untapped IP to expand WDW however they like without ever touching Marvel. They do not need to alter the agreement with Uni. They can use any of it anywhere they want except WDW.
Second Uni does not OWN the rights and cannot sell the rights. Uni licenses the rights from Disney/Marvel for use in an exclusive territory. Disney gets a check which although not as high as it could be still increases with inflation and Disney doesn't have to lift a finger or spend a dime to get it. Disney also gets a big percentage of merchandising money. This dead horse is now gelatin and glue.

seascape

Haha, that's adorable. The ONLY way they would freely surrender the rights to Marvel is if they have no value to EITHER company. I think The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man has ensured Marvel's value to Universal for the foreseeable future.
To say Universal would never give up the rights for free is interesting. I thought they had. After all they had the rights to all of Marvel all over the world until they did give them up for a grand total of $0.00. They did not get one red cent. They kept the rights in Orlando because they had nothing else to put in its place. Now that they have decided to expand all over the world like Disney do you think they regret giving us the rights for nothing? In Japan the Marvel Characters will be leaving Universal Japan and going to Disney. Can't you see the wonderful commercials of that? Showing them leaving Universal property and moving to Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To say Universal would never give up the rights for free is interesting. I thought they had. After all they had the rights to all of Marvel all over the world until they did give them up for a grand total of $0.00. They did not get one red cent. They kept the rights in Orlando because they had nothing else to put in its place. Now that they have decided to expand all over the world like Disney do you think they regret giving us the rights for nothing? In Japan the Marvel Characters will be leaving Universal Japan and going to Disney. Can't you see the wonderful commercials of that? Showing them leaving Universal property and moving to Disney.

They gave up those rights in 2001, a year before even the first Spiderman movie came out. Things are much different today, Marvel is considerably more valuable.

NormC

As I understand it they didn't really give them up as much as they lost them because they did not use them to expand into other regions.

GiveMeTheMusic

Spider-Man is not leaving Universal Studios Japan. Additionally, OLC has expressed zero interest in Marvel presence at TDR.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As I understand it they didn't really give them up as much as they lost them because they did not use them to expand into other regions.

Correct, they had to declare their intentions to build a Marvel land somewhere else, and then had to actually build it.

FrankLapidus

How many years has this been a topic of discussion now? Pipe dreams and wishful think still prevail it seems.

The Marvel rights are not changing hands. It doesn't matter how many times you claim it makes sense, it doesn't matter how many scenarios you dream up where a deal might theoretically be struck.

Hopefully the Uni/Marvel expansion announcement will finally put an end to this discussion, although I'm not going to hold my breath.

seascape

Spider-Man is not leaving Universal Studios Japan. Additionally, OLC has expressed zero interest in Marvel presence at TDR.
The Marvel rights for Universal Studios Japan end in the late 2020's. That is a fact and therefore Spiderman will have to leave USJ then even if they don't get used at Disney. The only way they can continue is if Universal pays Disney big time for the right to continue and that will not happen given the situation in Orlando. The deal that would be benefit both companies would be let Universal keep Spiderman in Orlando and in fact expand the rights around the world in exchange for the rest of the Marvel rights including the Marvel name. That way Universal Japan can keep Spiderman. Otherwise please tell me why Disney would let Universal Japan keep it? As all the Universal fans love to say read the contract. Universal has no rights anywhere except Orlando for anything Marvel. They have to live by the contract just like Disney does.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Marvel rights for Universal Studios Japan end in the late 2020's. That is a fact and therefore Spiderman will have to leave USJ then even if they don't get used at Disney. The only way they can continue is if Universal pays Disney big time for the right to continue and that will not happen given the situation in Orlando. The deal that would be benefit both companies would be let Universal keep Spiderman in Orlando and in fact expand the rights around the world in exchange for the rest of the Marvel rights including the Marvel name. That way Universal Japan can keep Spiderman. Otherwise please tell me why Disney would let Universal Japan keep it? As all the Universal fans love to say read the contract. Universal has no rights anywhere except Orlando for anything Marvel. They have to live by the contract just like Disney does.

That Japan expiration is a long way off. There could be almost zero public interesting in Marvel by that time.

seascape

That Japan expiration is a long way off. There could be almost zero public interesting in Marvel by that time.
You are right. There may be no interest if Marvel, Nintendo, Harry Potter and all the Disney characters. However, Universal will still have to pay Nintendo and Warner Brothers and JKR will past 2030. Do you want to place a bet now on if Spiderman will be on interest to people? I would because Spiderman has been around a lot longer than either HP or Nintendo and I would expect it to continue. Do you think Universal would love to keep the rights or not in Japan? Do you think they would love to gain the rights to Spiderman back for the entire world? Just over 10 years in theme park rights is a short time and not a long way off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom