Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

celluloid

Let's sum this all up.

You own a theme park. It is not Disney Theme Parks. You have rights to media more popular in merchandise than the film Frozen, multiple times more successful in merchandise and spanning a wider audience. Now you sell a ton of merchandise but you have to give up two dollars of every 20 dollar T-shirt and 40 dollar marked up item you sell. There are more films and media in this property in the pipeline. You can choose to sell the rights if the company that owns it is willing to buy it and not happy getting a percentage from every piece of merch.
Attendance and guest spending is soaring at your theme park resort.
Do you sell the rights?

lazyboy97o

Yes, but that was preexisting at the time of the original contract, and I would imagine the use of the theme had to be separately licensed.
The style guides are not stagnant documents that never change. Those are the listed criteria that must be followed.

Bairstow

Let's sum this all up.

You own a theme park. It is not Disney Theme Parks. You have rights to media more popular in merchandise than the film Frozen, multiple times more successful in merchandise and spanning a wider audience.

See, I'm not convinced that the pre-movie incarnations of these characters are as popular or as marketable as everyone seems to think they are.

Bairstow

The style guides are not stagnant documents that never change. Those are the listed criteria that must be followed.

True, but in no case would the style guides automatically give Universal the rights to use derivative IP separately owned by copyright holders not party to the original agreement.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What Universal is doing right now is getting IP to use at all their parks. I am sure everyone here can agree on two things. First Universal wishes they had never given the Marvel rights back to Marvel for the entire world and just kept the rights to Orlando. They may have rights east of the Mississippi but they can only build in Orlando. Second Universal has done very well with the rights in Orlando.

That said all the Universal fans have to admit this. Universal is putting in HP and the Simpsons in all their parks and they will put in Nintendo in all their parks. These will be advertised all over the world They are what Universal will be know for. Disney will also be putting Marvel in all their parks around the world with the exception of Orlando unless something changes.

What will change? Eventually Universal will decide they no longer want to pay Disney every year for rights that don't really add attendance and can only advertise them east of the Mississippi as Disney has the rights west of the Mississippi and the rest of the world once Uni Japan's rights end in just over 10 years. Universal will give them back to Disney with Disney never having to pay a dime.

The only possible agreement that I see that could be worked out in the next few years would be for Disney to let Universal have the rights to Spiderman all around the world for a small annual fee but Disney gets the Marval name back in Orlando and all the rest of Marvel Characters. That would be the win win for both companies.
Which of course explains why Universal is moving forward with a new Marvel ride in (at least) IOA. It's not going anywhere. Both sides are quite frankly just fine with the way things stand in Florida....

FigmentJedi

Which television shows? Shows with original elements created and owned by copyright holders not contemplated in the original Marvel/Universal contract?
I'm just not seeing what you're talking about. Can you use some specific examples or images?
The 90s Cartoons. Spider-Man's preshow might as well be a lost episode of the 90s Spiderman cartoon and the rest of the land's preshows have that same visual style. Of course, nobody bothers to shoot and put any of that stuff on YouTube, which is a shame because the Latverian propaganda film in the Dr Doom queue is gold.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
What will change? Eventually Universal will decide they no longer want to pay Disney every year for rights that don't really add attendance and can only advertise them east of the Mississippi as Disney has the rights west of the Mississippi and the rest of the world once Uni Japan's rights end in just over 10 years. Universal will give them back to Disney with Disney never having to pay a dime.

Haha, that's adorable. The ONLY way they would freely surrender the rights to Marvel is if they have no value to EITHER company. I think The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man has ensured Marvel's value to Universal for the foreseeable future.

AndyMagic

I truly thought that Universal spending upwards of 20 Million bucks completely renovating Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man would have put all of this nonsense to rest but the topic just won't die.

1.) Universal negotiated the contract with Marvel when the studio was struggling.
2.) The existing licensing agreement allows Universal to use an IP that is now 500 times more valuable than it was when the contract was originally struck.
3.) Universal does NOT pay Disney huge sums of money to use the Marvel brand because the contract came together at a time when it wasn't worth much. To use a real estate metaphor, Universal moved into a rent-controlled apartment in Greenwich Village and there is very little anyone can do to make them move out.

GrumpyFan

Haha, that's adorable. The ONLY way they would freely surrender the rights to Marvel is if they have no value to EITHER company. I think The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man has ensured Marvel's value to Universal for the foreseeable future.

I believe you're right. However, there is another option, but it would involve Disney giving them a boat load of money in exchange for them releasing the licenses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom