Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Quinnmac000

Its so annoying...not even people on this site are saying this but all over reddit and all over the comment sections that Nintendo is replacing Marvel because Disney owns Marvel
Right?! That's me on the reg.

In fact, I am trying to get an amendment passed to the Constitution that regardless of whomever becomes President in 2016, Charlotte can be First Lady. We all win.

Let's do it... FOR AMERICA!

Maybe she should put an ad out stating that UNI has the marvel rights so Marvel isn't going anywhere and people will finally listen like they did with eating at Hardee's aka Carl Jr.

ProfSavage

Its so annoying...not even people on this site are saying this but all over reddit and all over the comment sections that Nintendo is replacing Marvel because Disney owns Marvel

Maybe she should put an add out stating that UNI has the marvel rights so Marvel isn't going anywhere and people will finally listen like they did with eating at Hardee's.

At this point, what else do we got to lose? And we still win because YES

ProfSavage

But it just fits this thread so well!
Because it's completely ****ed up! (Pardon my language)
031bc319eeda30437eebc10a56be9b9e0127f5d1f0bb0c95e3b2bfcada8a5995.jpg

lazyboy97o

I think at this point it's in both parties' best interest for Universal to sell the rights back to Disney.

The Marvel property that's really hot right now are the interpretations of the movie characters made in the last couple years, right before and especially after the Disney acquisition.
Not the late-90's comic-book derived versions of these characters Universal is stuck with.
I mean, heck, Universal couldn't even capitalize off the popularity of the X-Men movies when those were super-popular.

There's a LOT of money being left on the table right now, and both Disney and Universal need to figure out how to share it.
There is no clause dictating which version of the characters must be used. Just walk into the land to see that it is not just the comic book designs.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
My last post regarding this.....

Always expect the unexpected. Plans can change daily. New technology can delay new attractions so it can be implemented into new ride. Even though we hear so many rumors about what is going where and what a contract says, things can change at a drop of a dime. It's fun to speculate. Disney had made ridiculous deals in the past with UNI/NBC....Al Michaels for Oswald...who saw that coming? If your not sitting in the board room with the execs or nerding it up with the imagineers, you have no idea what they have up there sleeve. I look forward to seeing what the WORLD looks like in 10 years.
I happen to know an individual sitting in some of those exact board rooms. Universal is keeping Marvel....

Bairstow

There is no clause dictating which version of the characters must be used.

The simple fact that Universal's contract doesn't specify that that they can't use versions of the characters based on later-created films does not automatically grant them the rights to use elements from those derivative works.

Just walk into the land to see that it is not just the comic book designs.

What specifically are you referring to?
Are there any elements derived from film or TV works that are owned by separate copyright holders other than Marvel themselves that were created subsequent to Universal's negotiating of the original contract?

seascape

What Universal is doing right now is getting IP to use at all their parks. I am sure everyone here can agree on two things. First Universal wishes they had never given the Marvel rights back to Marvel for the entire world and just kept the rights to Orlando. They may have rights east of the Mississippi but they can only build in Orlando. Second Universal has done very well with the rights in Orlando.

That said all the Universal fans have to admit this. Universal is putting in HP and the Simpsons in all their parks and they will put in Nintendo in all their parks. These will be advertised all over the world They are what Universal will be know for. Disney will also be putting Marvel in all their parks around the world with the exception of Orlando unless something changes.

What will change? Eventually Universal will decide they no longer want to pay Disney every year for rights that don't really add attendance and can only advertise them east of the Mississippi as Disney has the rights west of the Mississippi and the rest of the world once Uni Japan's rights end in just over 10 years. Universal will give them back to Disney with Disney never having to pay a dime.

The only possible agreement that I see that could be worked out in the next few years would be for Disney to let Universal have the rights to Spiderman all around the world for a small annual fee but Disney gets the Marval name back in Orlando and all the rest of Marvel Characters. That would be the win win for both companies.

lazyboy97o

The simple fact that Universal's contract doesn't specify that that they can't use versions of the characters based on later-created films does not automatically grant them the rights to use elements from those derivative works.

Are there any elements derived from film or TV works that are owned by separate copyright holders other than Marvel themselves that were created subsequent to Universal's negotiating of the original contract?
The land pulls heavily from the television shows, so that kills the "comics only" theory. The style guides, which Marvel has to update, are cited as the source of information.

PhotoDave219

What does this have to do with Charlotte McKinney?!? We've moved on to a buxom blonde.

Bairstow

The land pulls heavily from the television shows, so that kills the "comics only" theory. The style guides, which Marvel has to update, are cited as the source of information.

Which television shows? Shows with original elements created and owned by copyright holders not contemplated in the original Marvel/Universal contract?
I'm just not seeing what you're talking about. Can you use some specific examples or images?

Mike C

The amount posts in this thread spinning everything to somehow make it in favor of Marvel getting taken by Disney in Orlando (Or Japan for that matter) is a study in Spin that politicians would be envious of. There is no reason for Universal to give that deal up, maybe try to clarify the edge cases, but that's it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom