Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Bairstow

You lost me. You lost me at Jim Hill. (Where's my Roger Rabbit attraction, Jimmy!?!? Huh?! Where's my Roger Rabbit!?!?)

But lets just say for the sake of this argument, you're right and it happens.

You really see them dropping another $500M on Marvel attractions at DHS when they cant even get Star Wars going? That they can't even get the rumored Pixar Place attractions going? You think that even if they broke ground tomorrow that Marvel wouldn't have already peaked by the time it opens? You think that the superhero genre wouldn't have hit maximum oversaturation and the public's interest would be dwindeling?

Whats plausible to me is what someone said about clarifying the usage rights to the characters and the grey area in the contract. Thats plausible. Anything beyond that seems wholy unrealistic.

See, I don't think the $500m figure is anywhere close to reality.
Maybe you can spell out how much of that you think is what Universal wants for the rights.
The development costs of potential attractions wouldn't be anywhere near that high anyway; not when the Beijing Ironman Star Tours thing is already being developed as we speak.
As for the superhero genre, have you seen all the movies Disney/Marvel claims to have in development? Their plan is ride this train for a long, long time.

PhotoDave219

Yes, the deal is profitable for both, but UNI is bringing in more $$ than Disney in that deal. They really just need to rework the deal so Disney can use Marvel.

Disney can use Marvel is every other theme park that is not located between the Mississippi River and the Atlantic Ocean.

So that means they could potentially use it in.....

1. Disneyland
  2. Disney's California Adventure
  3. Tokyo Disneyland
  4. Tokyo Disney Seas
  5. Shanghai Disneyland
  6. Disneyland Paris
  7. DLP's second park
  8. The Disney Cruise Line.
  9. Unnammed, Unbuilt, Not even rumored, I'm proving a point, Disney Park in St Louis 10 feet west of the Mississippi.

Thats a lot of properties throughout the world to use the Marvel characters in all the whilst already making a profit off them in Orlando.

Just give UNI the rights to Indy for Marvel theme Park rights.....and walk away, lol

With New Indy movies being discussed? Not on your life.

JrBernal83

Come to think of it, IF Disney were to aquire the rights, they would likely have to pay for demo or retheming the rides....or find a potential suitor...Nintendo... :angelic:

PhotoDave219

See, I don't think the $500m figure is anywhere close to reality.
Maybe you can spell out how much of that you think is what Universal wants for the rights.
The development costs of potential attractions wouldn't be anywhere near that high anyway; not when the Beijing Ironman Star Tours thing is already being developed as we speak.
As for the superhero genre, have you seen all the movies Disney/Marvel claims to have in development? Their plan is ride this train for a long, long time.

Yes, I've seen the development schedule. I'm already losing interest.

Rights? Probably in the $1-2 Billion neighborhood is what I would ask. I have no knowledge on the subject but as you said, they want to keep pluckin that chicken so, might as well ask for the world.

I use $500M as a baseline because that was the cost of NFL in MK and you'd have to drop somewhere in that neighborhood in order to come close to what MSHI has to offer. And you simply cannot buy back the rights and then give the fans nothing. They'd be ED.

Another thought.... give me one compelling reason why Universal should sell those rights when they've got an audience for the next 5 years without spending a dime on marketing or making the movies. Universal relinquishing these rights gives them nothing but cash.

ProfSavage

Yes, the deal is profitable for both, but UNI is bringing in more $$ than Disney in that deal. They really just need to rework the deal so Disney can use Marvel.

I started a response but then this happened...

headbang_zps2ac29901.gif~c200

PhotoDave219

I started a response but then this happened...

headbang_zps2ac29901.gif~c200
I'm not sure who's more delusional here.....

The Marvel fanbois who mistakenly think that their Men in Tights will somehow come in and overshadow & upstage the greatest saga ever created, let alone get built first.

Or

The Universal fanboiz who mistakely think that Nintendo will get a Potter-like treatment and could attract a larger crowd then Marvel.

JrBernal83

My last post regarding this.....

Always expect the unexpected. Plans can change daily. New technology can delay new attractions so it can be implemented into new ride. Even though we hear so many rumors about what is going where and what a contract says, things can change at a drop of a dime. It's fun to speculate. Disney had made ridiculous deals in the past with UNI/NBC....Al Michaels for Oswald...who saw that coming? If your not sitting in the board room with the execs or nerding it up with the imagineers, you have no idea what they have up there sleeve. I look forward to seeing what the WORLD looks like in 10 years.

ProfSavage

I'm not sure who's more delusional here.....

The Marvel fanbois who mistakenly think that their Men in Tights will somehow come in and overshadow & upstage the greatest saga ever created, let alone get built first.

Or

The Universal fanboiz who mistakely think that Nintendo will get a Potter-like treatment and could attract a larger crowd then Marvel.

See, I would love to see Nintendo get the Potter-treatment. I'd also love a million dollars and to be married to Charlotte McKinney but...you know....

As for Marvel, I actually understand business and CapEx and know that'll never happen...

PhotoDave219

See, I would love to see Nintendo get the Potter-treatment. I'd also love a million dollars and to be married to Charlotte McKinney but...you know....

As for Marvel, I actually understand business and CapEx and know that'll never happen...

Lemmie google her, I have no idea who she.... Great Googley Moogley!

Where is the "Disney is a business" crowd when you need them?

Bairstow

Yes, I've seen the development schedule. I'm already losing interest.

Rights? Probably in the $1-2 Billion neighborhood is what I would ask. I have no knowledge on the subject but as you said, they want to keep pluckin that chicken so, might as well ask for the world.

I use $500M as a baseline because that was the cost of NFL in MK and you'd have to drop somewhere in that neighborhood in order to come close to what MSHI has to offer. And you simply cannot buy back the rights and then give the fans nothing. They'd be ****ED.

Again, it feels way too high, but I don't think you or I have a way of pinning down either what Universal would want for the rights or what Disney would have to spend to put a Marvel presence in their parks.
My gut tells me that flat aluminum "Avengers" buildings at MGM or Tomorrowland or wherever would be a heck of a lot cheaper than Dwarves/Mermaid rockwork and all the money they wasted spent on constant redesigns of the restrooms and meet-n-greet areas.

And you simply cannot buy back the rights and then give the fans nothing. They'd be ****ED.

Disney does this all the time, though.
Ultimately, all Disney would really want is a place to have people meet the characters, buy merch, and cross-promote the movies with their theme park advertising. It doesn't take a Test Track to be able to do this- it really just takes a remodeled Innoventions.

Another thought.... give me one compelling reason why Universal should sell those rights when they've got an audience for the next 5 years without spending a dime on marketing or making the movies. Universal relinquishing these rights gives them nothing but cash.

Because there's not really a market for a 15-year-old take on the Marvel universe that's only tangentially related to what's popular now?
Sure, they technically have the Hulk, and the X-men, and the Fantastic 4, but they have the wrong versions of these characters. Kids can tell the difference. Everyone can.
If that sells, it only sells because of confusion, and the fact that Universal hasn't relied on any of the Marvel characters (save for Spiderman) in their ad campaigns for over a decade makes me believe it's not that valuable to Universal at all.

If the Marvel areas of their park (save for Spiderman) isn't driving attendance, and Universal has the means and the rights to install something that could, wouldn't they?
The cash would be icing on the cake.

PhotoDave219

My last post regarding this.....

Always expect the unexpected. Plans can change daily. New technology can delay new attractions so it can be implemented into new ride. Even though we hear so many rumors about what is going where and what a contract says, things can change at a drop of a dime. It's fun to speculate. Disney had made ridiculous deals in the past with UNI/NBC....Al Michaels for Oswald...who saw that coming? If your not sitting in the board room with the execs or nerding it up with the imagineers, you have no idea what they have up there sleeve. I look forward to seeing what the WORLD looks like in 10 years.

Oswald was a throw in. The deal was .... "ESPN cable rights to Friday coverage of the next four Ryder Cups and granted ESPN increased usage of Olympic highlights" as well as "broader access to .... Notre Dame football, the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness" from 2006-2011.

PhotoDave219

Again, it feels way too high, but I don't think you or I have a way of pinning down either what Universal would want for the rights or what Disney would have to spend to put a Marvel presence in their parks.
My gut tells me that flat aluminum "Avengers" buildings at MGM or Tomorrowland or wherever would be a heck of a lot cheaper than Dwarves/Mermaid rockwork and all the money they wasted spent on constant redesigns of the restrooms and meet-n-greet areas.

Disney does this all the time, though.
Ultimately, all Disney would really want is a place to have people meet the characters, buy merch, and cross-promote the movies with their theme park advertising. It doesn't take a Test Track to be able to do this- it really just takes a remodeled Innoventions.

Because there's not really a market for a 15-year-old take on the Marvel universe that's only tangentially related to what's popular now?
Sure, they technically have the Hulk, and the X-men, and the Fantastic 4, but they have the wrong versions of these characters. Kids can tell the difference. Everyone can.
If that sells, it only sells because of confusion, and the fact that Universal hasn't relied on any of the Marvel characters (save for Spiderman) in their ad campaigns for over a decade makes me believe it's not that valuable to Universal at all.

If the Marvel areas of their park (save for Spiderman) isn't driving attendance, and Universal has the means and the rights to install something that could, wouldn't they?
The cash would be icing on the cake.

This is gonna have to wait. Charlotte McKinney has my undivided attention now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom