Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

PhotoDave219

Don't you think it's odd that the Nintendo news drops after we hear a rumor of Marvel and UNI working on a deal to get Marvel into The WORLD?

I think its odd that everyone is jumping to fanboi conclusions.

Marvel will not be leaving Universal. Too much money is being made by all parties involved.

Let me ask you this.... Why on earth would Disney buy out a contract they're already making money & then turn around and spend even more money on a theme park attraction?

Even more so, they haven't lifted a finger to actually start constructing Star Wars. And as much as Marvel is hot right now, Star Wars is always hot. Since 1977. And if that track record cant get the executives moving, nothing will.

As others have stated, any negotiations are likely just clarifying details of the existing contract. Anything more is simply wishful thinking.

Bairstow

I think at this point it's in both parties' best interest for Universal to sell the rights back to Disney.

The Marvel property that's really hot right now are the interpretations of the movie characters made in the last couple years, right before and especially after the Disney acquisition.
Not the late-90's comic-book derived versions of these characters Universal is stuck with.
I mean, heck, Universal couldn't even capitalize off the popularity of the X-Men movies when those were super-popular.

There's a LOT of money being left on the table right now, and both Disney and Universal need to figure out how to share it.

PhotoDave219

I think at this point it's in both parties' best interest for Universal to sell the rights back to Disney.

The Marvel property that's really hot right now are the interpretations of the movie characters made in the last couple years, right before and especially after the Disney acquisition.
Not the late-90's comic-book derived versions of these characters Universal is stuck with.
I mean, heck, Universal couldn't even capitalize off the popularity of the X-Men movies when those were super-popular.

There's a LOT of money being left on the table right now, and both Disney and Universal need to figure out how to share it.

You're trolling, right?

doctornick

I believe that some of the talks were to hammer out some of the ambiguities into a win-win for both parties.

Not renegotiated. More like clearifying addendums.

I've long maintained that there was substantial "gray area" in the contract in terms of which properties Uni had access to and which ones Marvel retained. I would think that a more formal and explicit delineation would make sense for both parties, making it easier to proceed in the future and preventing potential lawsuits.

JrBernal83

I think its odd that everyone is jumping to fanboi conclusions.

Marvel will not be leaving Universal. Too much money is being made by all parties involved.

Let me ask you this.... Why on earth would Disney buy out a contract they're already making money & then turn around and spend even more money on a theme park attraction?

Even more so, they haven't lifted a finger to actually start constructing Star Wars. And as much as Marvel is hot right now, Star Wars is always hot. Since 1977. And if that track record cant get the executives moving, nothing will.

As others have stated, any negotiations are likely just clarifying details of the existing contract. Anything more is simply wishful thinking.

You do have a point. I was just too excited thinking of the possibilitites. I do believe that when/if Disney retains the rights, we will see a total revamp of DHS.

PhotoDave219

Not at all.

Apologies then.... You walked into the thread at a bad time.

So if Disney buys out Universal, their margin drops considerably. They'd have to make a CapEx investment that realistically wouldn't come online until 2025-ish, given their current rate of Capital Projects in Florida.

So you're looking at 8-10 years with no royalty income and a capital development fee.

Thats not going to happen.

MagicHappens1971

He's a little naive about TDO's thought process.

They won't do anything until the Avengers E-ticket, F&F E-ticket, Fallon D-ticket, new water park, 3-5 new hotels, the Nintendo replacement for KidZone, and Potter Phase 3 send Epcot and DHS below 10 million guests :p

Seriously though, Nintendo, Avengers and F&F could all potentially get done roughly around the same time as Avatar if Comcast pleases.

Star Wars Land isn't opening until 2020-2022, like PhotoDave and other insiders have mentioned. I'd be shocked if Nintendo doesn't have some sort of attraction by 2018. Especially since UNI announced their deal with HP a little over 3 years before WWOHP opened.
Can Universal build a new ride? I thought Disney had a monopoly on new construction?

Bairstow

Apologies then.... You walked into the thread at a bad time.

So if Disney buys out Universal, their margin drops considerably. They'd have to make a CapEx investment that realistically wouldn't come online until 2025-ish, given their current rate of Capital Projects in Florida.

So you're looking at 8-10 years with no royalty income and a capital development fee.

Thats not going to happen.

Disney would just have to be creative with their accounting for the benefit of the shareholders, then, and not necessarily spin the rights buyout as normal capex; maybe try to argue that it's somehow tied to the promotion of Avengers 2 or whatever.

Besides that, I'm not sure the Marvel buyout price Universal is looking for is as high as everyone suspects it to be.
Jim Hill told a story last year that Universal was willing to let most of the non-Spiderman rights go in exchange for something as nominal as Disney conceding certain movie release dates and delaying the Oz movie. Not sure if it's true, but given how non-relevant Universal's take on the Marvel properties are, it's at least plausible.
The bottom line is that the Marvel rights are worth a lot more to Disney, and right now than they have been or will be to Universal, and now it looks like the thing Universal needs more than anything is space to build and re-theme.

Captain Chaos

Yes, the deal is profitable for both, but UNI is bringing in more $$ than Disney in that deal. They really just need to rework the deal so Disney can use Marvel.
But disney is getting free money. They don't have to spend millions to invest in something new in order to make money. Win.

StageFrenzy

Disney would just have to be creative with their accounting for the benefit of the shareholders, then, and not necessarily spin the rights buyout as normal capex; maybe try to argue that it's somehow tied to the promotion of Avengers 2 or whatever.

Besides that, I'm not sure the Marvel buyout price Universal is looking for is as high as everyone suspects it to be.
Jim Hill told a story last year that Universal was willing to let most of the non-Spiderman rights go in exchange for something as nominal as Disney conceding certain movie release dates and delaying the Oz movie. Not sure if it's true, but given how non-relevant Universal's take on the Marvel properties are, it's at least plausible.
The bottom line is that the Marvel rights are worth a lot more to Disney, and right now than they have been or will be to Universal, and now it looks like the thing Universal needs more than anything is space to build and re-theme.
You are smarter than this, and no.

doctornick

Yes, the deal is profitable for both, but UNI is bringing in more $$ than Disney in that deal. They really just need to rework the deal so Disney can use Marvel.

The thing is Disney can use Marvel. They can use any of it at most of their parks, but haven't really done so much (just some M&Gs and finally an Iron Man ride at HKDL). And they can use some properties at WDW, but haven't. It's been established that GotG would be okay for WDW but it's not like anything is being built right now. Disney could both get money from Uni and have Marvel in WDW in some capacity (though they can't use the Marvel name).

PhotoDave219

You lost me. You lost me at Jim Hill. (Where's my Roger Rabbit attraction, Jimmy!?!? Huh?! Where's my Roger Rabbit!?!?)

But lets just say for the sake of this argument, you're right and it happens.

You really see them dropping another $500M on Marvel attractions at DHS when they cant even get Star Wars going? That they can't even get the rumored Pixar Place attractions going? You think that even if they broke ground tomorrow that Marvel wouldn't have already peaked by the time it opens? You think that the superhero genre wouldn't have hit maximum oversaturation and the public's interest would be dwindeling?

Whats plausible to me is what someone said about clarifying the usage rights to the characters and the grey area in the contract. Thats plausible. Anything beyond that seems wholy unrealistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom