Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Our conversation is all over the place tonight.....

Suffice to say, theyre going to oversaturate the market. Much like the Pirates franchises and the Zombie franchises before it, the comic book properties will eventually wear thin. Lets use Spider-Man as an example. We've had two different Spidey franchises in 12 years. (2002, 2004, 2007, 2012, 2014). I honestly DONT CARE about him and would like to see him go away for about 20 years. They screwed it up twice and I'm gonna need a break. Now lets use the Nolan-verse of Batman. (2005, 2008, 2012) Arguably the best Batman in god-knows how long. Its not even four years and they're going to reboot it again?

Its too much. Its way too much. And I dont see it lasting in cinema with Film after Film. Hollywood is great at milking things dry and running them into the ground. Its what Disney does best.

I thought Avengers 2 was a much better written movie than the first. But for the love of god, how do we have an Ant-Man film instead of a Black Widow film?

I just cant see Ant Man working at all.....
I want to go see Ultron, but I really have no interest in it. Not at movie prices (and I don't go to the movies but a few times a year)...

I'm an outlier, but I am a reflection of a larger market. I'm a nerd, interested in the story, but not interested in the presentation. I'll wait until I can get it through cheaper medium and on demand when I'm bored, as I don't expect Ultron to really further the "plot" much at all...

And I think you hit the nail on the head for what is going to happen.

Oversaturation.

When I was a kid, this SAME STORY was told through comics, and we waited months and years between releases to find out what would happen next. It was like Archie soap operas.

However, now we are all older. Those of us in our 30s KNOW the story they are weaving (and likewise remember how the Dark Pheonix story was screwed up with the X-man trilogy after the win that was the first movie.

All it will take is one commercial flop, and the whole house of cards comes tumbling back down.

PhotoDave219

I want to go see Ultron, but I really have no interest in it. Not at movie prices (and I don't go to the movies but a few times a year)...

I'm an outlier, but I am a reflection of a larger market. I'm a nerd, interested in the story, but not interested in the presentation. I'll wait until I can get it through cheaper medium and on demand when I'm bored, as I don't expect Ultron to really further the "plot" much at all...

And I think you hit the nail on the head for what is going to happen.

Oversaturation.

When I was a kid, this SAME STORY was told through comics, and we waited months and years between releases to find out what would happen next. It was like Archie soap operas.

However, now we are all older. Those of us in our 30s KNOW the story they are weaving (and likewise remember how the Dark Pheonix story was screwed up with the X-man trilogy after the win that was the first movie.

All it will take is one commercial flop, and the whole house of cards comes tumbling back down.

I saw it because I legitimately liked it and didnt want to wait until DVD/Netflix. Alas Regal Cinemas seems substantially more expensive than AMC as Regal is adding a $5 premium for their Deluxe "Regal Theatre Experience" which seems to have the same sound system & projectors as Dolby's ETX system. They also add a $4 surcharge for 3-D, which I don't care for. So I think this summer will be Tomorrowland and then a long wait until Ep7.

Alas yes, we read some of the same stories. I think Marvel is peaking right now and will slow down over the next year in popularity. Warner is going to flop (sorry DC fans) with Batman vs Superman.... mostly because popular culture just doesnt care. Their universe wont work because they truely are just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what will stick. Marvel is up to 10 movies sofar, with 2 more Avengers and 1 GOTG movies green lit.

There's just no way they can keep up this level of success.

Let me put it in a different context: When one of these movie trailers for a comic book film can move the stock price of the parent company by an entire Dollar/share within 2 hours of its release, call me. Until then, I'm waiting for Han and Chewie to take me home.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I saw it because I legitimately liked it and didnt want to wait until DVD/Netflix. Alas Regal Cinemas seems substantially more expensive than AMC as Regal is adding a $5 premium for their Deluxe "Regal Theatre Experience" which seems to have the same sound system & projectors as Dolby's ETX system. They also add a $4 surcharge for 3-D, which I don't care for. So I think this summer will be Tomorrowland and then a long wait until Ep7.

Alas yes, we read some of the same stories. I think Marvel is peaking right now and will slow down over the next year in popularity. Warner is going to flop (sorry DC fans) with Batman vs Superman.... mostly because popular culture just doesnt care. Their universe wont work because they truely are just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what will stick. Marvel is up to 10 movies sofar, with 2 more Avengers and 1 GOTG movies green lit.

There's just no way they can keep up this level of success.

Let me put it in a different context: When one of these movie trailers for a comic book film can move the stock price of the parent company by an entire Dollar/share within 2 hours of its release, call me. Until then, I'm waiting for Han and Chewie to take me home.
I only go to dinner theaters anymore. If I can't chew on a $10 hamburger while watching your dreck, it isn't worth it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Making me want to build my own home-theatre. I'm thinking 4K projector, loveseat seats and at least 7.1 Surround complete with a Wine and full Bar menu. Maybe a steakhouse ambiance. Hmmmmm

Nothing amazing. But a "recent" trend.

I find it's nice as I get a medicare Applebees level meal at the same time I watch a movie. Efficient.

PhotoDave219

Nothing amazing. But a "recent" trend.

I find it's nice as I get a medicare Applebees level meal at the same time I watch a movie. Efficient.

I always wondered what happened to the blair witch. Apparently doing movie theatre reviews, it seems.

I never tried the AMC Fork and Dine at PI because everyone who went said the food was awful, overpriced and the service blew. So I've avoided although they compared the food to Applebees.

I like the idea of my own private home theatre because 1 - better food, 2 - better alcohol, 3 - better crowd and 4 - much more liberal dress code.

HauntedMansionFLA

Comcast was trying to buy Time Warner Cable, not Time Warner. They are two seepage companies.

You'd be wise to read the contract before making comments on it. Universal did not recently sign a renewal as there are no renewals. The deal lasts forever.
So, is it safe to say Disney and Universal aren't working on a deal for Florida??

HauntedMansionFLA

Definitely agree.

Definitely disagree. The best way to help MK is to get the other parks up to MK's level. Throwing expansion projects at MK just makes it that much "more better" than the other parks, exacerbating the imbalance issue.
Yes, they need to fix the three other parks before anything else. There is potential for four great theme parks. Hopefully disney has some sort of vision.

bhg469

I always wondered what happened to the blair witch. Apparently doing movie theatre reviews, it seems.

I never tried the AMC Fork and Dine at PI because everyone who went said the food was awful, overpriced and the service blew. So I've avoided although they compared the food to Applebees.

I like the idea of my own private home theatre because 1 - better food, 2 - better alcohol, 3 - better crowd and 4 - much more liberal dress code.
Ive never been to one of these but doesn't food beings served to you take away from the movie? then when you add in 50 other people ordering at the same time... I just don't get that. I want to Watch the movie.

lazyboy97o

Ive never been to one of these but doesn't food beings served to you take away from the movie? then when you add in 50 other people ordering at the same time... I just don't get that. I want to Watch the movie.
Not in the Studio Movie Grills since they were built for such service. The orders are taken before the show starts and the theater design keeps the servers out of your line of sight during the show.

IowaHawks7

Just for clarification Marvel has more than 3 movies green lit. Captain America 3. Thor 3. Doctor Strange. Black Panther. Guardians of the Galaxy 2. The new Spider-Man which will be released under Sony but exist in the Mcu. Also the Inhumans and Captain Marvel. Then of course Avengers 3 part 1 and part 2

Tony Perkis

Really dude... Is it really that important to you that you have to argue with a stranger over this? I'm a stockholder of Disney, Time Warner, and Comcast stocks and if Disney Corp or Comcast were to allow Spiderman to climb to the top of the Trade Center in NYC and take a leak all I care is if it will make me a buck. As far as you go... Peace out. Lighten up and have a nice life.
As for me, I gave much better things to do with my life than to worry about what theme parks are doing with their characters and what is written in their contracts. Why is this so important to you anyway......

If you're wrong, and you are, it's worth informing you of the correct nature of things.

RSoxNo1

So, just to be clear, I am not saying any of this ruins Age of Ultron. Just that they could have made a more satisfying Avengers movie if they didn't have to spend 20 minutes or so setting things up for other franchises.

There is a supblot to set up Black Panther in which the team has to go to Wakanda. There's an explanation of vibranium: what it is, why it's important. Andy Serkis appears as Ulysses Klaue. In this movie, he's basically a henchmen. But in comics, he is the badguy known as Klaw who opposes Black Panther. This sequence sets up his origin story as Klaw.

There's another subplot around Thor and his vision of the Infinity gems. They spend quite a bit of time talking about the gems and their importance. We discover that Loki's staff was powered by one of the gems. All of this stuff sets up Thor: Ragnorak and the Infinity War. Oddly enough, these scenes feel very incomplete. Whedon had to cut over an hour of the movie to get it down to its current runtime and I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that much of this explanation wound up on the cutting room floor.

Those are the two big ones that take a decent amount of time. There's some stuff setting up Cap 3, but it's pretty mild. The way the Hulk's story ends is clearly leading somewhere but I won't venture a guess is to where that will pay off. The movie makes room for appearances by Facon, War Machine, Agent Carter, etc which are cool cameos and then the ending introduces the new team line-up. Not complaining about any of that. But taken with all the other set-up and exposition going on, the movie can feel a lot like a teaser for Phase 3 instead of its own entity.
[/spoilers]
Response in the spoiler tags...

More or less all of the dreams except Stark's felt rushed. The movie was full of action though and I think the only thing that at first glance could have been cut is the stuff about Hawkeye's family.

Another gripe was that I think Ultron should have been set up in a previous movie, perhaps in the Iron Man 3 Stark/Banner therapy session. I feel that they could have easily made this a two part movie.

Captain Neo

So before I try and read too much in between the lines.

1) @marni1971 hasn't said so explicitly, but this has absolutely nothing to do with WDW, correct?

2) Was the "deal" between Disneyland proper and Universal Orlando to 'pretty-please' not change the Hulk into Iron Man, as they wanted to create their own coaster in DCA? In a trade for giving the go-ahead on using more of the MCU movie depictions at IOA?

No Universal cannot change themes or add any new rides to marvel island. Everything would have to go through Disney who will automatically deny. In 2010 universal pitched an Iron Man attraction for IOA and when they went for approval they were immediately told no way Jose.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No Universal cannot change themes or add any new rides to marvel island. Everything would have to go through Disney who will automatically deny. In 2010 universal pitched an Iron Man attraction for IOA and when they went for approval they were immediately told no way Jose.

Disney has to approve additions and changes but they cannot deny it just because they don't want it built. According to the contract:

"Whenever Marvel has “reasonable” rights for rejection of approval hereunder, the basic criteria to be used by Marvel may include inconsistency with (i) basic story line, (ii) the powers, (iii) basic personality traits, (iv) physical appearance (including clothing or costume), and/or (v) living habitat or environment relating to such character as portrayed in Marvel’s exploitation of such character in comic books or other products for the particular time period being depicted by MCA."

Disneyhead'71

I wouldn't put money on that opinion. As the current rumor is more, not less, MARVEL is coming to IOA. Hulk is supposed to go down by the end of the year to start the process. The construction on the Island upgrade should start after Kong opens.

And F&F is rumored to go full tilt the first week in January.

That would be 3 new E Tickets under construction at the same time in three different areas of the 2 parks. Kong, F&F and Avengers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom