Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
A similar agreement regarding Comcast not getting involved in Hulu decisions played a big role in killing the Time Warner Cable acquisition.
That one at least makes sense from a federal intervention perspective. Preventing too much consolidation in the national cable industry. But "Orlando theme parks" isn't an industry that needs to be regulated like that. It's a state issue at worst and probably a non issue in reality.

RSoxNo1

2016: Kong/possibly F&F by Nov-Dec 2016/Sapphire Falls/CityWalk revamp completion
2017: WonderSea/beginnings of MSHI revamp
2018: completion of MSHI revamp/TMNT family coaster

Is that roughly the kind of timeline to expect?
What is WonderSea? Is that the name of the water park? I thought it was Volcano Bay.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I remember people saying Disney/Marvel will never make a Spiderman movie or have Spiderman in any of the Marvel movies because Sony Pictures had a pre-Marvel agreement that Disney would have to honor. I think the next Spiderman Movie is being made by Disney/Marvel, so let's do not rule out Marvel in Walt Disney World to soon. I know that Universal has the rights, but just as with Spiderman, agreements can change. May happen...May out happen; only time will tell.

GLaDOS

I remember people saying Disney/Marvel will never make a Spiderman movie or have Spiderman in any of the Marvel movies because Sony Pictures had a pre-Marvel agreement that Disney would have to honor. I think the next Spiderman Movie is being made by Disney/Marvel, so let's do not rule out Marvel in Walt Disney World to soon. I know that Universal has the rights, but just as with Spiderman, agreements can change. May happen...May out happen; only time will tell.

Big difference is Sony is a failing movie studio while Universal Orlando is more successful than its ever been. Sony needs Marvel's creative input to save what is probably its biggest remaining franchise. Universal has no financial need to give Disney some of its most profitable characters back in Florida.

lazyboy97o

That one at least makes sense from a federal intervention perspective. Preventing too much consolidation in the national cable industry. But "Orlando theme parks" isn't an industry that needs to be regulated like that. It's a state issue at worst and probably a non issue in reality.
It is information both companies consider to be corporate secrets.

Sony has essentially outsourced their future Spider-Man films to Marvel Studios. They did not give up the rights. The closest analogy to theme parks would be NBCUniversal hiring Walt Disney Imagineering to do work on Marvel Super Hero Island.

Alexis

Not a fan of the Marvel theme into Disney. I will always mentally affiliate it with Universal...

Maybe they will incorporate some Marvel themed rides or shows eventually into Hollywood studios, perhaps?

tl77

If you would just read the contract instead of making things up you'd know the year Marvel acquired the rights and that your phrases do not appear. And again, Paramount never owned or produced any part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films.

I know what it says, but you clearly don't understand what it means, don't harass me again

shernernum

Big difference is Sony is a failing movie studio while Universal Orlando is more successful than its ever been. Sony needs Marvel's creative input to save what is probably its biggest remaining franchise. Universal has no financial need to give Disney some of its most profitable characters back in Florida.

Plus, the Sony/Disney deal is, for all intents, a usage deal. Sony is not giving up the movie rights to Spiderman, they are collaborating with Marvel by allowing Spiderman to become part of the MCU so that Marvel gets the use of a character it wants in a storyline that he was a significant part of in the comics (Civil War) while Sony is hoping that the connection to the MCU and the creative input of Marvel will help strengthen the direction that Spiderman will go in the future. Future stand alone Spiderman movies (if they happen) will still be produced by Sony. So Disney couldn't even get a flailing movie studio that had royally messed up a tent pole character to just sell back the rights to a Marvel character for a movie universe. What would Universal,a successful theme park company with the ability to use the Marvel characters in pretty awesome ways, have to gain by doing something Sony wasn't even willing to do.

El Grupo

So, if I understand the posts in this thread, things could always change. But, in this case, it is very highly unlikely.

That about right?

michael.fumc

So, if I understand the posts in this thread, things could always change. But, in this case, it is very highly unlikely.

That about right?
Looks like it, also there are to many strollers in the park, not enough trees, MM+ is destroying the world as we know it, everything Disney is doing is in reaction to Potter, but not really, and final if it is not working Disney will just put a Frozen sticker on it;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom