Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Phroobar

Personally I think they were all bottom of the barrel except Inside Out 2. They are all in that Good Dinosaur bottom but if I got to rank them.

5. Inside Out 2
:
:
:
21. Onward
22. Elemental
23. Cars 3
24. Luca
25. Good Dinosaur
26. Soul
27. Turning Red
28. Lightyear

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I say of the Post-pandemic Pixar movies:

1. Turning Red 8/10
2. Soul 8/10
3. Luca 7.5/10
4. Elemental 7.5/10
5. Inside Out 2 7.5/10
6. Onward 7/10
7. Lightyear 6/10
I really disliked Lightyear, found Soul and Turning Red uninspiring (perhaps I need to rewatch them), and enjoyed the rest quite a bit, with Onward being my favourite.

BuddyThomas

Pretty much nobody liked Lightyear

I thought Luca and Elemental were pretty average. Soul just wasn’t my thing. But Turning Red and Onward are as good as anything Pixar has done in the last 10 years IMO
Pretty much nobody liked Lightyear except for the 74% positive critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the 84% positive audience rating.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pretty much nobody liked Lightyear except for the 74% positive critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the 84% positive audience rating.
Welcome back, TP has missed you and asked about you multiple times. ;)

Tony the Tigger

I’m surprised at the lack of love for Soul. I enjoyed it very much, and thought it would have done well as an adult, live action film. Then again, music itself, as well as the concept of soul, are right in my zone.

I either haven’t watched or haven’t finished the rest. I suspect I’ll have to be bored and alone on a day off, or otherwise just “in the mood.”

Correction: I did watch Onward. I don’t remember too much other than it was fine.

Saw Deadpool last night. That was a good time.

DKampy

I’m surprised at the lack of love for Soul. I enjoyed it very much, and thought it would have done well as an adult, live action film. Then again, music itself, as well as the concept of soul, are right in my zone.

I either haven’t watched or haven’t finished the rest. I suspect I’ll have to be bored and alone on a day off, or otherwise just “in the mood.”

Correction: I did watch Onward. I don’t remember too much other than it was fine.

Nice to see someone else who appreciates Soul… it is my favorite of the Pixar films since the pandemic

As someone who does not have as much attachment to the comic characters referenced in Deadpool I was surprised how much I enjoyed it… though I still liked the 1st 2 Deadpool’s better… as I missed the other character from those as they were pretty much sidelined in this movie

TP2000

You're back! You do love us after all! It's been kind of boring around here without you. :(

Welcome back, TP has missed you and asked about you multiple times. ;)

I was so worried. It just wasn't like him to miss a few of these topics we've had the past few months.

And here's the box office finals for this past weekend. Not much new in theaters this past weekend, so Deadpool & Wolverine and IO2 continue to bulldoze cash into the Burbank branch of Bank of America!

D23 Eve.jpg

DKampy

Twisters is this years Little Mermaid feels like a hit here, but a pretty big disappointment internationally… What will Universal do…. It’s hit status here suggest franchise but it probably will not break even in theatrical worldwide…. However I do think will turn profit in other ways post box office… so we shall see

celluloid

Twisters is this years Little Mermaid feels like a hit here, but a pretty big disappointment internationally… What will Universal do…. It’s hit status here suggest franchise but it probably will not break even in theatrical worldwide…. However I do think will turn profit in other ways post box office… so we shall see
Universal is not its international Distributor. WB is.
It's budget all around was much smaller than LM and Oklahoma's location film incentives helped even more than that.(obviously LM had more dollars in but the ratio it cost LM more dollars to produce and market)

Twisters performance was upper OK in the sebse it made Uni money before leaving theaters. It's not likely continued franchise material long after, but it waited nearly decades and other than some sight gags and inside references, it has little connection at all to the original.

Good thing Universal had variety of ok, a few hits and only few theatrical losses this year. They didn't incur all the cost to distribute Twisters internationally that did not pay off.

Last edited:

Ghost93

I maintain that Lightyear is a decent movie in and of itself (in the sense that it had some cool ideas and some artistic merit) but that it was a total misfire in terms of giving the people what they wanted out of a Buzz Lightyear movie. The Buzz Lightyear of the Toy Story movies had a fun, Saturday morning cartoon feel about him. The new Lightyear was serious, depressing and lacking in color and fun. It felt more like Pixar trying to do Interstellar than Pixar trying to do a Toy Story spinoff. Had they simply changed the names of some of the characters, I think Lightyear would have been better received as an original Pixar sci-fi movie. But by trying to latch onto the Toy Story brand, they disappointed fans of the OG Buzz.

Heppenheimer

I wanted to love Soul, but the movie just fell flat. It seemed like a retread of other scenarios they've previously done before, the mechanics of the world-building changed from scene to scene depending on the needs of the plot. And for a movie centered around jazz, in a world where the likes of Herbie Hancock, Winton Marsalis and others are still with us, they hired Trent Reznor to compose the non-diegetic parts of soundtrack?

Phroobar

I maintain that Lightyear is a decent movie in and of itself (in the sense that it had some cool ideas and some artistic merit) but that it was a total misfire in terms of giving the people what they wanted out of a Buzz Lightyear movie. The Buzz Lightyear of the Toy Story movies had a fun, Saturday morning cartoon feel about him. The new Lightyear was serious, depressing and lacking in color and fun. It felt more like Pixar trying to do Interstellar than Pixar trying to do a Toy Story spinoff. Had they simply changed the names of some of the characters, I think Lightyear would have been better received as an original Pixar sci-fi movie. But by trying to latch onto the Toy Story brand, they disappointed fans of the OG Buzz.
They should have done a movie version of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

Vegas Disney Fan

So much for 2024 being a small year for Disney with its slimmed down release schedule.
Disney grossed $13 billion off the studios in 2019, grossing $3 billion is infinitely better than losing a billion (like last year) but it’s still drastically down from the pre-pandemic numbers.

It’s a massive step in the right direction but it’s just a step.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney grossed $13 billion off the studios in 2019, grossing $3 billion is infinitely better than losing a billion (like last year) but it’s still drastically down from the pre-pandemic numbers.

It’s a massive step in the right direction but it’s just a step.
No studio in Hollywood has gotten back to its pre-pandemic numbers. So that isn't a realistic comparison, and is just trying to find something to nitpicking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom