Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Tony the Tigger

yep…, you know if Deadpool and Wolverine was not a success the anti-Disney brigade would be screaming about some sort of agenda or something
Kind of interesting: I saw a video this morning of Ryan Reynolds saying he was “proud of Disney“ for allowing him to go as far as he did, what he called “hard R rated.“

I just went to YouTube to try to find that video and share it here. Most of what I found were right wing sources claiming Ryan “exposed woke Disney” lol.

Tony the Tigger

Ok, I watched one. It was a torturous nine minutes to get to the “point” that Iger held back some scenes he thought were too violent. I guess that’s woke now. 🤣🤣

We don’t just judge movies anymore. We judge what was left on the cutting room floor, and whether or not they were profitable. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Casper Gutman

Twisters is this years Little Mermaid feels like a hit here, but a pretty big disappointment internationally… What will Universal do…. It’s hit status here suggest franchise but it probably will not break even in theatrical worldwide…. However I do think will turn profit in other ways post box office… so we shall see
Set the sequel in England. The Twisters go on vacation.

Vegas Disney Fan

FYI, not that it really matters, but it was 666 million on their financial reports. Which is certainly another memorable number.

Also 25 wide releases in 2019 versus the 4 so far. But 2019 is the industry high water mark for sure, I’m not sure if that will ever get beaten.
But the post I responded to said specifically that it wouldn’t be a small year for Disney despite their slimmed down lineup, that’s what I was countering. There’s no way Disney will ever come close to pre-pandemic numbers if they’re only releasing a half dozen movies a year, no matter how great those movies are.

As I said I’m sure Disney is happy to be making profit off their movies again but I doubt anyone in the executive suites are thrilled to be making $10 billion less now than they were 5 years ago. The markets changed but that doesn’t make it any less of a loss on the books.

TP2000

yep…, you know if Deadpool and Wolverine was not a success the anti-Disney brigade would be screaming about some sort of agenda or something

Or, you know, a bunch of us realize that adult subject matter that is genuinely hilarious and fun in an R Rated action movie is likely not appropriate for a G or PG Rated family cartoon aimed at young kids.

You wouldn't take your 8 year old son to a strip club (or at least you shouldn't), so you wouldn't take your 8 year old son to an R Rated movie (or at least you shouldn't). 🤣

I'll wait here for someone to chime in that R Rated movies and strip clubs are entirely appropriate now for the 3rd grade class field trip and I should stop being so bigoted and stuck in the past...

WDP_AnnualReport_1965_Page_38_small (2).jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But the post I responded to said specifically that it wouldn’t be a small year for Disney despite their slimmed down lineup, that’s what I was countering. There’s no way Disney will ever come close to pre-pandemic numbers if they’re only releasing a half dozen movies a year, no matter how great those movies are.

As I said I’m sure Disney is happy to be making profit off their movies again but I doubt anyone in the executive suites are thrilled to be making $10 billion less now than they were 5 years ago. The markets changed but that doesn’t make it any less of a loss on the books.
The market cannot sustain the same growth as it did 5 years ago, that is not the fault of Disney. So their books show a profit based on the current market trends, not what the market did 5 years ago. What you're trying to do is attribute market changes that are outside of Disney's control and blame them for making less money than they did when the market was different. That is not only not fair, but its not how the market looks at box office profitability. Again its trying to find something to nitpick about just for the sake of nitpicking.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Or, you know, a bunch of us realize that adult subject matter that is genuinely hilarious and fun in an R Rated action movie is likely not appropriate for a G or PG Rated family cartoon aimed at young kids.

You wouldn't take your 8 year old son to a strip club (or at least you shouldn't), so you wouldn't take your 8 year old son to an R Rated movie (or at least you shouldn't). 🤣

I'll wait here for someone to chime in that R Rated movies and strip clubs are entirely appropriate now for the 3rd grade class field trip and I should stop being so bigoted and stuck in the past...

View attachment 807264
What's funny is that I saw a number of kids (more than a dozen) of varying ages (youngest looked around 6-7) in my full theater when I watched Deadpool at the El Capitan.

Everyone had a good time, no child was crying or anyone having left the theater.

TP2000

What's funny is that I saw a number of kids (more than a dozen) of varying ages (youngest looked around 6-7) in my full theater when I watched Deadpool at the El Capitan.

That doesn't make that okay, or appropriate. Children are also being snuck into bars and card rooms and other various houses of ill repute across Los Angeles every day by bad parents, or adult guardians with very bad judgment. And I'm sure there's a few young children tonight who will be hanging out in the back room of strip clubs in LA while their mom works out front. I suppose it's marginally safer in the back room than being left alone in an apartment, but that doesn't make it okay.

That said...

A 6 year old child should not be at an R Rated movie that was labeled by the MPAA as "Rated R for strong bloody violence and language throughout, gore and sexual references."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That doesn't make that okay, or appropriate. Children are also being snuck into bars and card rooms and other various houses of ill repute across Los Angeles every day by bad parents, or adult guardians with very bad judgment. And I'm sure there's a few young children tonight who will be hanging out in the back room of strip clubs in LA while their mom works out front. I suppose it's marginally safer in the back room than being left alone in an apartment, but that doesn't make it okay.

That said...

A 6 year old child should not be at an R Rated movie that was labeled by the MPAA as "Rated R for strong bloody violence and language throughout, gore and sexual references."
It is for those parents to decide what is best for their children, not you as a childless man over 60.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom