Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Hawkeye_2018

Pretty much nobody liked Lightyear

I thought Luca and Elemental were pretty average. Soul just wasn’t my thing. But Turning Red and Onward are as good as anything Pixar has done in the last 10 years IMO

DKampy

It is comparable animated films in the same year. Sing 2 made a decent box office for the the time while under performing a bit.
And yet still streamed just behind Tirning Red on the charts. We have that data.
If you can honestly say Turning Red resonates globally with the general public better than Sing...you are delusional.
Turning Red did not go to theaters because they knew it was not likely to resonate on tje scale a Pixar release should.
So your proof that Turning Red would of done poor box office…is that Sing 2 was performing under Turning Red on streaming and that you are sure they figured Turning Red would be disastrous for the box office so they sent it straight to streaming…despite that it got great reviews and was nominated for a Oscar… seems like pretty weak receipts

BrianLo

So your proof that Turning Red would of done poor box office…is that Sing 2 was performing under Turning Red on streaming and that you are sure they figured Turning Red would be disastrous for the box office so they sent it straight to streaming…despite that it got great reviews and was nominated for a Oscar… seems like pretty weak receipts

We also have ample commentary from the industry that theatrically released movies do better on streaming. It’s why they are now trying to get away from the direct to stream model for movies similar to direct to DVD. The pay windows increase audience perceptions. So Turning Red likely would have done just as well if not better with a theatrical release.

Anyways, it’s beyond silly trying to parse the financial metrics of 3.5 movies that either didn’t have a theatrical release or theirs seriously interrupted. We have mass consensus that Encanto is successful.

And if Sing 2 is the imaginary line in the sand, boy do we need to start having a conversation about how much worse off Dreamworks run has been. Which our poster surely isn’t intending to do.

celluloid

We also have ample commentary from the industry that theatrically released movies do better on streaming. It’s why they are now trying to get away from the direct to stream model for movies similar to direct to DVD. The pay windows increase audience perceptions. So Turning Red likely would have done just as well if not better with a theatrical release.

Anyways, it’s beyond silly trying to parse the financial metrics of 3.5 movies that either didn’t have a theatrical release or theirs seriously interrupted. We have mass consensus that Encanto is successful.

And if Sing 2 is the imaginary line in the sand, boy do we need to start having a conversation about how much worse off Dreamworks run has been. Which our poster surely isn’t intending to do.

DreamWorks? Sing 2 is Illumination.

DreamWorks was ion the downward slopes for a long time with meh sequels and weaker concepts.

I am not your poster(in regards to "our poster"). I am a person on the forum.
Puss Un Boots Last Wish was the strongest attempt in years at DreamWorks quality. Financially speaking, Puss' from was a sequel to spin off film in recovering theatrical environment and surpassed the lightyear spin off. More recently, Kung Fu Panda surpassed what Disney Animation's last two releases have done. Think about that. A fourth Kung Fu Panda film. Fornsure theybhabe had their crap.

In other news, great current events for Sony when these hits get a lot of money on home video ownership.

Last edited:

celluloid

I thought Luca and Elemental were pretty average. Soul just wasn’t my thing. But Turning Red and Onward are as good as anything Pixar has done in the last 10 years IMO

I would agree. The issue is besides CoCo land Inside Out the last ten years has been Toy Story 4, Lightyear and Cars Sequels.

Vegas Disney Fan

I always find it interesting how movies hit differently, of the recent non sequel Pixar movies Soul would be my #1 (I love perspective movies, him realizing his “failure” of a life was actually pretty amazing screams it’s a wonderful life to me, had he “went on” to discover what’s next at the end I’d have found this movie perfect), Onward would be my # 2 (totally reminds me of “adventures” I had with my brothers), Coco would be #3 (great story and music), then probably Luca, Elemental, Turning Red, and Ligtyear.

celluloid

You agree that Onward is a great film?

Yes. If I had to rank, the best from Pixar's 2018 to now. I liked a lot of Soul.
But quality was not.je focus as how they resonated.
The issue is, as noted in my last post the majority of contenders were Cars Sequels, Toy Story for and the meh.
For reasons of pandemic climate or otherwise, it is grouped in the resonated crappy category.
One likingnor connecting with films does nkt change their overall success. It is great to enjoy them. The masses showed they did not resonate at the same level from Inside Out and CoCo to now.
It is not the got you,that you are likely trying for.

celluloid

I always find it interesting how movies hit differently, of the recent non sequel Pixar movies Soul would be my #1 (I love perspective movies, him realizing his “failure” of a life was actually pretty amazing screams it’s a wonderful life to me, had he “went on” to discover what’s next at the end I’d have found this movie perfect), Onward would be my # 2 (totally reminds me of “adventures” I had with my brothers), Coco would be #3 (great story and music), then probably Luca, Elemental, Turning Red, and Ligtyear.

Very well put. If Soul's mid to last third hit me harder I think it would overtake Onward for me. Dang. Maybe Soul is my personal number one.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Definitely agree, some movies hit radically different for each of us. I think I liked Turning red more than many of the other adult males here.

I’m a millennial who grew up adjacent to Toronto. I’m two years older than Domee Shi the director. It’s weird seeing a movie that is like strangely pitched directly to you in the sea of Hollywood nostalgia. We aren’t lacking for content about ‘Hollywood’. But Turning Red was like a lens into my childhood in weird ways.

BrianLo

Deadpool 3 continues to do very well. Unsurprisingly Inside Out 2’s number one status will not be touched yet. D3 seems to be tracking towards like 1.2B or so. Comfortably above Joker. With Joker 2 on the horizon we’ll likely have the best ever R rated total box office for a year domestically.

Oh and I think we’re going to be having some interesting discussion on Twisters in the coming weeks as we see its end point. The International split is quite something. Digital release is Aug 13, which feels quite fast.

Last edited:

celluloid

Oh and I think we’re going to be having some interesting discussion on Twisters in the coming weeks as we see its end point. The International split is quite something. Digital release is Aug 13, which feels quite fast.

It certainly is an interesting difference.

Oversimplified and summed up as.

Decent to good showing for Universal. Not a blockbuster but not connected other than name and spirit of the original label nearly 30 years later.

Meh to what happened? for Warner Brothers.

In the middle of competing with three blockbusters that grossed the 300 million to 650 million domestic and near billion to billion internationally as the theatrical box office numbers continue to aim for what they earned last year. By December, it will be a total near the 7 billion of last year or surpassing it.

I imagine Twisters, even under all of that intense competition will finish its theatrical run with 200 million plus domestically by Labor Day Weekend.
Something that the movies of last Summer's large budget attempts at mass appeal franchise connections like Mission Impossible, Indy 5 and Haunted Mansion could not come close to domestically.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Yes. If I had to rank, the best from Pixar's 2018 to now. I liked a lot of Soul.
But quality was not.je focus as how they resonated.
The issue is, as noted in my last post the majority of contenders were Cars Sequels, Toy Story for and the meh.
For reasons of pandemic climate or otherwise, it is grouped in the resonated crappy category.
One likingnor connecting with films does nkt change their overall success. It is great to enjoy them. The masses showed they did not resonate at the same level from Inside Out and CoCo to now.
It is not the got you,that you are likely trying for.
I'm not trying for anything. I just thought I must have misunderstood you in light of your earlier posts, which wouldn't have led me to believe that you held Onward in high regard. Thank you for clarifying.

doctornick

Of the pandemic and beyond movies for Pixar, I'd rate them as:

1. Elemental
2. Luca
3. Soul
4. Onward
5. Turning Red
6. Lightyear

Biggest gaps are between 2 & 3 and 5 & 6 (Lightyear was crap, but the rest were all decent in some way). I actually would consider Elemental close to peak Pixar, though a half a step down or so - I though it was fantastic and have watched it multiple times. Probably the last Pixar film I could say that about was Coco.

Edit: haven't seen Inside Out 2 so I can't rate it

BrianLo

Of the pandemic and beyond movies for Pixar, I'd rate them as:

1. Elemental
2. Luca
3. Soul
4. Onward
5. Turning Red
6. Lightyear

Biggest gaps are between 2 & 3 and 5 & 6 (Lightyear was crap, but the rest were all decent in some way). I actually would consider Elemental close to peak Pixar, though a half a step down or so - I though it was fantastic and have watched it multiple times. Probably the last Pixar film I could say that about was Coco.

Edit: haven't seen Inside Out 2 so I can't rate it

I’d go:
1) Elemental
2) Luca
3) Inside Out 2
4) Turning Red
5) Onward
6) Soul
7) Lightyear

With the caveat I actually did like Lightyear reasonably, so it’s more just a slow deceleration for me. Elemental and Luca I think are top tier, mass appeal Pixar.

Elemental has had the best shelf life of any of them on streaming. It could have more Coco like prospects. (Discounting IO2, which is clearly not a debate).

DKampy

I’d go:
1) Elemental
2) Luca
3) Inside Out 2
4) Turning Red
5) Onward
6) Soul
7) Lightyear

With the caveat I actually did like Lightyear reasonably, so it’s more just a slow deceleration for me. Elemental and Luca I think are top tier, mass appeal Pixar.

Elemental has had the best shelf life of any of them on streaming. It could have more Coco like prospects. (Discounting IO2, which is clearly not a debate).
I will give this a go as well

1. Soul
2. Elemental
3. Inside out 2
4. Turning Red
5. Onward
6. Lightyear
7. Luca

Yes that is correct I put Luca below Lightyear… which shows how subjected films can be… For some reason Luca just did not connect with me as it did with others

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom