Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

celluloid

And...? Sing 2 is also quite popular. And a sequel. And was released on the far larger share Netflix. But it's absolutely unnecessarily splitting hairs.

Is your thesis that Sing 2 is now also crap? Because I know you don't think that.

You completely have forgotten the point you were trying to make. Pixar made neither bad movies, nor sequels for the better part. They were serially held back financially (which is not a measuring stick of quality) by poor decision making by the former CEO.

Take off the Comcast fanboy goggles for two seconds, the Pixar of the last decade is exactly the company we're supposed to pine for. Not the sequel factory that is forthcoming.

Sing 2 underperformed, not a god comparison for success. It did more than ok because it's budget.

Again, crap for Financials, and resonating with masses, not crap.for quality. I like Soul. Onward was a goodmemotional.time.too.

Thusnis a box office thread.

Turning Red, Soul and Lightyear did not resonate.

It is not that one should line for Pixar of Lightyear and Cars Sequels.

It is just the desperation to latch on continues to hit.

Not just a Pixar problem either.

BrianLo

S8ng 2 underperformed, but still.redinated better box office.

Again, crao for Financials, not crap.for quality. I like Soul. Onward was a goodmemotional.time.too.

Thusnis a box office thread.

Turning Red, Soul and Lightyear did not resonate.

It is not that one should line for Pixar of Lightyear and Cars Srquels.

It is just the desperation to latch on continues to hit.

Not just a Pixar problem either.

It is a box office thread indeed and the movies I’m referencing were streaming ones, so it’s a weird measuring stick to complain about when all our points is that 4 original and fairly good Pixar movies were done dirty by a release strategy. Not a lack of performance.

Lightyear did very poorly on all measures, but we’re not claiming they had a perfect run here. We are arguing against your assertion their box office take on four streaming movies has anything to do with… anything?

Your keyboard is on the fritz there or I see you are having a great Friday night. Probably a good butter beer batch ☺️

celluloid

It is a box office thread indeed and the movies I’m referencing were streaming ones, so it’s a weird measuring stick to complain about when all our points is that 4 original and fairly good Pixar movies were done dirty by a release strategy. Not a lack of performance.

Lightyear did very poorly on all measures, but we’re not claiming they had a perfect run here.

Your keyboard is in the fritz there or I see you are having a great Friday night. ☺️

You brought streaming to the statement that the box office for them has been crap.
You brought oranges to the apple bushel.

Disney's Pixar's non resonators proved that is indeed what they were when they we see theatrically released and were failing next to other released films. Not one did well.

Definitely phone keyboard. It's Saturday afternoon where I am.

Release strategy may have played a part, and you may believe it played all the parts...but the result, was crap at the box office.

Not a cream soda fan. Hot Butterbeer is the closest to good for my taste.
Pumpkin Juice is where it was at. RIP to it as it was.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Updates to Disney's upcoming theatrical slate:
  • “A REAL PAIN” (Searchlight) previously dated on 10/18/24 moves to 11/1/24 (Limited)
  • “THUNDERBOLTS*” is the updated title of “THUNDERBOLTS” dated on 5/2/25
  • UNTITLED DISNEY previously dated on 3/7/25 is removed from schedule
  • “THE FANTASTIC FOUR: FIRST STEPS” is the updated title of “THE FANTASTIC FOUR” dated on 7/25/25
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 8/8/25
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 9/12/25
  • “AVENGERS: DOOMSDAY” is the updated title of “AVENGERS: THE KANG DYNASTY” dated on 5/1/26
  • UNTITLED MARVEL previously dated on 7/24/26 is removed from schedule
  • UNTITLED DISNEY previously dated on 8/14/26 moves to 8/7/26
  • UNTITLED DISNEY previously dated on 9/18/26 moves to 9/11/26
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 2/12/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 3/5/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 4/2/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 5/28/27
  • UNTITLED PIXAR is now dated on 6/18/27
  • UNTITLED MARVEL is now dated on 7/23/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 8/6/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 9/17/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 10/8/27
  • UNTITLED MARVEL is now dated on 11/5/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY ANIMATION is now dated on 11/24/27
Umm…so has Disney forgotten about Zegler’s Snow White?

DKampy

Box office...crap.

Resonated with some artistic value sure.
Forgetting about the Pandemic???… there was no box office for Soul and Turning Red… and Onward was cut short being one of the last films released to theaters before everything shut down…and I remember people already being nervous about going to theaters at the time of it’s release as my final movie I saw in theaters was The Invisible Man before theaters shut down

celluloid

Forgetting about the Pandemic???… there was no box office for Soul and Turning Red… and Onward was cut short being one of the last films released to theaters before everything shut down…and I remember people already being nervous about going to theaters at the time of it’s release as my final movie I saw in theaters was The Invisible Man before theaters shut down

Yeahh...check your dates. That counts for some of them, and they still could have resonated to better when they did theatrically release

Onward cut short was already mentioned.

LittleBuford

Yeahh...check your dates. That counts for some of them, and they still could have resonated to better when they did theatrically release

Your original claim was that there were no good Pixar films between Inside Out and its sequel—indeed, you said the intervening years were “filled with nothing but crap”. You’ve had to make so many concessions and qualifications in response to other posters’ challenges that you may as well admit now that your original claim was untenable.

DKampy

Yes I get Turning Red was released just as theaters were beginning to open again…but Chapec already made the decision to release those Pixar movies straight to streaming… so we have no idea how they would of done at the box office

celluloid

Your original claim was that there were no good Pixar films between Inside Out and its sequel—indeed, you said the intervening years were “filled with nothing but crap”. You’ve had to make so many concessions and qualifications in response to other posters’ challenges that you may as well admit now that your original claim was untenable.

Besides CoCo, it is true. The brand was bad for a good while.
Too much bad for the rep it had.

Most did not strike, except for out.

Blane it on factors you choose, but it is a fact

celluloid

Yes I get Turning Red was released just as theaters were beginning to open again…but Chapec already made the decision to release those Pixar movies straight to streaming… so we have no idea how they would of done at the box office

Sing 2 released at same time frame as it's streaming.

DKampy

The lengths some people will go to….to change Disney positives into a negative

celluloid

Sing was released in theaters…. Turning Red was not…. It would be like saying Axel F box office was horrible
It is comparable animated films in the same year. Sing 2 made a decent box office for the the time while under performing a bit.
And yet still streamed just behind Tirning Red on the charts. We have that data.
If you can honestly say Turning Red resonates globally with the general public better than Sing...you are delusional.
Turning Red did not go to theaters because they knew it was not likely to resonate on tje scale a Pixar release should.

LittleBuford

Besides CoCo, it is true. The brand was bad for a good while.
Too much bad for the rep it had.

Most did not strike, except for out.

Blane it on factors you choose, but it is a fact
If your claim concerns quality, then I can’t say you’re wrong, because it’s a matter of personal taste. But you later claimed you were talking about how well the films have resonated with mass audiences, and by that metric, you are demonstrably wrong, as my earlier post about Toy Story 4 already showed.

celluloid

If your claim concerns quality, then I can’t say you’re wrong, because it’s a matter of personal taste. But you later claimed you were talking about how well the films have resonated with mass audiences, and by that metric, you are demonstrably wrong, as my earlier post concerning Toy Story 4 already showed.

No. You are demonstrating lack of comprehension.
Crap in resonating on the first part, which you admit I am right. It is not personal taste, it is business observation. I liked Soul. Most.of the world has not responded much to it.
And Toy Story 4 was a sequel, which I stated crap AND sequels. There was no incidentals there. You are just misreading again.

LittleBuford

Here's a graph I found (published before Elemental had found its legs) that may help inject some real facts into this discussion:

Pixar-Box-Office.jpg

It is impossible based on this graph to claim that Pixar's films failed to resonate with general audiences after Inside Out. Sure, there are a couple of dips, including The Good Dinosaur immediately after, but the overall picture remained quite good for Pixar until the pandemic. [ETA: To be fair to him, @celluloid can still maintain based on this graph that the only films that resonated with audiences were sequels and Coco, though the figures during the pandemic are pretty meaningless.]

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom