Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There are even websites to help parents decide for themselves if itheir kids could handle any specific R rated movie… but like you said… it really is up to the parents of said child
Exactly if a parent decides that their child can handle a rated R movie, that is up to them. It is not up to me or anyone else to say that parent cannot bring their child to that rated R movie.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Exactly if a parent decides that their child can handle a rated R movie, that is up to them. It is not up to me or anyone else to say that parent cannot bring their child to that rated R movie.
Indeed. If was deemed *by society* -- and not the parents -- that a child should not see this film, even accompanied by their own parents, then it would have been rated NC-17 or X.

DKampy

But personally, I have absolutely no problem with gay jokes/gay romance themes/gay sex or graphic nudity in an R Rated movie, just as I have no problem with straight jokes/straight romance/straight sex or graphic nudity in an R Rated movie.
Not that you would know beside I know you have no intention on seeing the film but there is no sex or graphic nudity in the movie…. And IMO drop the f bombs and most of the references could have just as easily fit in a PG-13 movie… the first 2 were more R rated in that regard…. Where it earned it’s r rating was the violence… but we don’t have the right to make choices for other people’s kids

That doesn't make that okay, or appropriate. Children are also being snuck into bars and card rooms
Who said anything about sneaking into R rated movies… children are allowed with a parent or guardian present

Vegas Disney Fan

Personally I wouldn’t bring a preteen to see Deadpool but it’s refreshing to see so many people who support parents having the final say on what is and isn’t appropriate for their kids, the best person to determine what’s appropriate for a kid is the people who know the kid best, their parent(s).

TP2000

It is for those parents to decide what is best for their children, not you as a childless man over 60.

No, that's the wrong answer. For both the 6 year old child, and for society at large.

6 year old children don't belong in strip clubs, or R Rated violent movies with "gore" and "bloody violence", or even in just a strip mall dive bar on Karaoke night. A 6 year old child is precious in their innocence, and should be treated that way.

If you can't publicly say what is right and what is wrong for a 6 year old child, that's your issue. But I don't have that problem.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, that's the wrong answer. For both the 6 year old child, and for society at large.

6 year old children don't belong in strip clubs, or R Rated violent movies with "gore" and "bloody violence", or even in just a strip mall dive bar on Karaoke night. A 6 year old child is precious in their innocence, and should be treated that way.

If you can't publicly say what is right and what is wrong for a 6 year old child, that's your issue. But I don't have that problem.
If you were to tell me in public what activity I can and can't do with my child we'd have an issue. Its none of your business what someone does or doesn't do with their child as long as the child is in no harm. And taking them to a movie that you deem inappropriate is not harm, so its really none of your business.

TP2000

If you were to tell me in public what activity I can and can't do with my child we'd have an issue. Its none of your business what someone does or doesn't do with their child as long as the child is in no harm. And taking them to a movie that you deem inappropriate is not harm, so its really none of your business.

Absolutely not. It may technically be legal to take a 6 year old to an R Rated movie with gore and bloody violence, but it's socially reprehensible. And very damaging to the child's upbringing.

And if you had a 6 year old child in that R Rated movie theater, or in the back of that strip club, or in that dive bar on Karaoke night, I'd be happy to tell you that. :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Absolutely not. It may technically be legal to take a 6 year old to an R Rated movie with gore and bloody violence, but it's socially reprehensible. And very damaging to the child's upbringing.

And if you had a 6 year old child in that R Rated movie theater, or in the back of that strip club, or in that dive bar on Karaoke night, I'd be happy to tell you that. :)
And we'd have words outside on what is appropriate behavior for an adult to be telling another adult what they can and can't do with their kids.

TP2000

And we'd have words outside on what is appropriate behavior for an adult to be telling another adult what they can and can't do with their kids.

We'll have to agree to disagree on what is appropriate in our society of high standards and moral norms.

If you ever have kids, take your 6 year old son to a gory and bloody and sexual R Rated movie and see how that works out for you by the time he's 14. Good luck! :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We'll have to agree to disagree on what is appropriate in our society of high standards and moral norms.

If you ever have kids, take your 6 year old son to a gory and bloody R Rated movie and see how that works out for you by the time he's 14. Good luck! :)
I don't have to wait to see how it works, I've see it personally from all of my family members for multiple generations. None of our parents hid us away from blood and gory R rated movies, and we all grew up well adjusted members of society.

Wendy Pleakley

There are even websites to help parents decide for themselves if itheir kids could handle any specific R rated movie… but like you said… it really is up to the parents of said child

An important piece is people using those types of tools to make an active and informed decision.

There doesn't need to be a hard and fast rule about kids not seeing R rated movies. A movie can get an R rating for merely having a few curse words, which is different than a movie with extreme sex or violence. I would hope that parents play an active role when it comes to what their kids watch.

A friend who is a teacher had to talk to his grade 3 class because they were playing games and pretending to shoot each other as an imitation of the Squid Game TV series. Elementary school kids do not need to be watching one of the most violent TV shows in existence.

Yeah, let parents decide for the most part by all means, but it should be acknowledged that many aren't paying attention and there is a line where I have no problem saying that yes, letting your kid watch this particular show at their age is bad parenting.

TP2000

A friend who is a teacher had to talk to his grade 3 class because they were playing games and pretending to shoot each other as an imitation of the Squid Game TV series. Elementary school kids do not need to be watching one of the most violent TV shows in existence.

Yeah, let parents decide for the most part by all means, but it should be acknowledged that many aren't paying attention and there is a line where I have no problem saying that yes, letting your kid watch this particular show at their age is bad parenting.

Look at us, agreeing on something! 😍

LittleBuford

I disagree. Elsewhere in the world (such as the UK), the rating system works differently and isn’t just advisory when it comes to R-rated films. British cinemas won’t let anyone under 15 see Deadpool and Wolverine, and that’s as it should be (I certainly wouldn’t have felt comfortable sharing the space with younger children). Now, if parents decide on a different approach at home, no-one can stop them, but there’s nothing unusual or inherently undesirable about society setting certain parameters when it comes to what children should and shouldn’t be exposed to.

LittleBuford

Personally I wouldn’t bring a preteen to see Deadpool but it’s refreshing to see so many people who support parents having the final say on what is and isn’t appropriate for their kids, the best person to determine what’s appropriate for a kid is the people who know the kid best, their parent(s).
This is, unfortunately, by no means always the case.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I disagree. Elsewhere in the world (such as the UK), the rating system works differently and isn’t just advisory when it comes to R-rated films. British cinemas won’t let anyone under 15 see Deadpool and Wolverine, and that’s as it should be (I certainly wouldn’t have felt comfortable sharing the space with younger children). Now, if parents decide on a different approach at home, no-one can stop them, but there’s nothing unusual or inherently undesirable about society setting certain parameters when it comes to what children should and shouldn’t be exposed to.
Well we see it differently, and since my experience is based on the US which doesn’t limit whether a parent can take their kid to a rated R movie or not that is what I base thing on. Obviously different countries set whatever standard is appropriate for them.

Tha Realest

I did not expect this thread to shift into parents rights territory so aggressively.

I agree. Parents should be the ultimate arbiter of what content their children should or should not be exposed to. Heck, maybe a legislature should pass a law dealing with the parental rights in, say…education to make sure they get a voice at the table.

erasure fan1

If you were to tell me in public what activity I can and can't do with my child we'd have an issue. Its none of your business what someone does or doesn't do with their child as long as the child is in no harm.
I wouldn't say anything to someone in public, because I shouldn't have to. Taking a 6yr old to Deadpool is really not appropriate. That should be common sense. You say as long as you're not harming. There's plenty of studies saying you could be. A 6yr old is in kindergarten/1st grade. It shouldn't be controversial to say a they shouldn't be watching bloody violence, cursing and all the sexual things in a Deadpool film. But unfortunately that's the state of modern society.

LittleBuford

I wouldn't say anything to someone in public, because I shouldn't have to. Taking a 6yr old to Deadpool is really not appropriate. That should be common sense. You say as long as you're not harming. There's plenty of studies saying you could be. A 6yr old is in kindergarten/1st grade. It shouldn't be controversial to say a they shouldn't be watching bloody violence, cursing and all the sexual things in a Deadpool film. But unfortunately that's the state of modern society.
I agree with everything you wrote except for the last sentence. People have been taking their children to age-inappropriate films for decades, at least in the US. There was a minor scandal back in 1973 because young kids were attending screenings of The Exorcist.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I agree with everything you wrote except for the last sentence. People have been taking their children to age-inappropriate films for decades, at least in the US. There was a minor scandal back in 1973 because young kids were attending screenings of The Exorcist.
That's true, I completely agree. My point with modern society is it's not really as frowned upon now. The overall public perception is, well if that's what the parents want, who am I to say anything. Parents have always done questionable things when it comes to parenting. Now it seems wrong to label said things as not good so as not to offend anyone. And I just find that a bit strange.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom