Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

TP2000

Amazing! Here’s hoping this will fast-track Inside Out into Epcot.

They'll probably just clone this B Ticket spinner from DCA's Pixar Pier...

00-inside-out-dca-az-1180x600.jpg

LittleBuford

Fair. And evident by besides Frozen the property they keep shoving into the parks.

But that is one near the beginning of the last near decade mentioned back in 2017, Among crap/crap reception and other sequels. The brand was pretty damaged until Elemental gave some glimmer and Inside Out 2 giving people the want for good Pixar in theaters.

I think the fact that we have to bring up 2017's film, is a great example of why things have gone the way they have.
I don’t think many would agree with you that Pixar’s more recent films are all “crap”. Coco is by no means the only movie to undermine such a hyperbolic characterisation.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Happy early weekend, gang! I hope we've all got summer fun in the sun planned! 🌞 🌊 🌭 🇺🇸

Here's box office for yesterday, previewing what should be another very strong weekend for Deadpool & Wolverine, plus the big boffo box office of the summer Inside Out 2!

View attachment 806199

Should become the highest grossing R rated film of all time (domestic) by Sunday, beating out the “Passion of the Christ”, which landed that top spot 20 years ago.

Feels ironic for Jesus to be booted out by Deadpool.

celluloid

Well, Toy Story 4 (2019) did very well with the masses, earning more than a billion at the box office.

Yep. That is why my original post said "crap" referencing performance and a lot of"sequels." Toy Story 4 would certainly be considered a sequel.
Elemental was mentioned as the one to earn the brand trust and pave the way for Inside Out 2 to perform even better.

And you are missing the best Pixar movie since the pandemic in Elemental.

Elemental was mentioned at the beginning of this exchange as the one that earned the trust back and likely helped Inside Out 2 perform even better.

BrianLo

IO was really, really big in schools. It gave teachers and especially (guidance) counselors a framework to talk about feelings with children and how to manage them.

Children were making adults watch Frozen. Adults were making children watch IO.

I have never gotten the flavour of huge top tier popularity in pediatrics (unlike Moana, Coco, Frozen, Encanto, Zootopia etc), but I relate to the framework massively!

I’ve reframed mood quandaries into ‘have you seen inside out 2? Who drives your brain the most?’ and 6-12 year olds really get that.

Even some parents can’t seem to grasp the concept of ‘mood’ otherwise. It helps that so many people have seen this one now.

DKampy

Elemental was mentioned at the beginning of this exchange as the one that earned the trust back and likely helped Inside Out 2 perform even better.
Elemental had great word of mouth… but I don’t believe for a second that Inside Out 2 would of had any noticeable difference in box office without Elemental

Last edited:

easyrowrdw

And Turning Red was the most popular of the four - also critically very well received. 🤷‍♂️

Anyone who thinks Pixar’s output is ‘crap’ recently probably didn’t engage with them or had impossible expectations. Or has a fanboy agenda.
Was it really? I would not have guessed that.

Personally I wouldn’t say crap, but in the 2020s Inside Out 2 is the only Pixar movie I’ve been interested in watching more than once. (I have kids though so I have lol) They’re mostly just ok IMO and I don’t think they come anywhere close to the peak. Maybe that’s an unrealistic standard, but it is one that Pixar use to hit regularly for me.

BrianLo

Was it really? I would not have guessed that.

Ya it was. I think the demo of the forums just overlapped quite poorly with who actually watched the films. Soul was the most high brow but also the least favoured long term. Onward I think got a bit buried. But Luca and Turning Red have both done quite well in the streaming rotation. They still poke their way occasionally into D+'s top ten movies.

Both (Turning Red and Luca) would have likely been reasonable modest successes if they were released into a receptive theatrical environment.

Screen Shot 2024-08-02 at 8.31.14 PM.png

Note Luca was already into its second year of streaming below. Eternals was a 2022 streaming release.

celluloid

Ya it was. I think the demo of the forums just overlapped quite poorly with who actually watched the films. Soul was the most high brow but also the least favoured long term. Onward I think got a bit buried. But Luca and Turning Red have both done quite well in the streaming rotation. They still poke their way occasionally into D+'s top ten movies.

Both (Turning Red and Luca) would have likely been reasonable modest successes if they were released into a receptive theatrical environment.

View attachment 806254

Note Luca was already into its second year of streaming below. Eternals was a 2022 streaming release.

That basically means Turning Red resonated less than...Sing 2 which did well in theaters considering the timing and close to Turning Red at Home.

BrianLo

That basically means Turning Red resonated less than...Sing 2 which did well in theaters considering the timing and close to Turning Red at Home.

And...? Sing 2 is also quite popular. And a sequel. And was released on the far larger share Netflix. But it's absolutely unnecessarily splitting hairs.

Is your thesis that Sing 2 is now also crap? Because I know you don't think that.

Box office...crap.

Resonated with some artistic value sure.

You completely have forgotten the point you were trying to make. Pixar made neither bad movies, nor sequels for the better part. They were serially held back financially (which is not a measuring stick of quality) by poor decision making by the former CEO.

Take off the Comcast fanboy goggles for two seconds, the Pixar of the last decade is exactly the company we're supposed to pine for. Not the sequel factory that is forthcoming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom