Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Unless they announce something soon, she's going to age out of that role in 2-3 years.
She's already in her 20s so she theoretically "aged out" already. But actors play well younger or well older than their actual ages. So I don't see her actually aging out of the role unless Marvel wants her to. Especially with de-aging tech getting better and better all the time, actors can play younger versions of themselves technically forever.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster

And so, it happened.
As projected, #Pixar mega hit #InsideOut2 has beaten #Furious7 & #TheAvengers’s 1.52B Global runs, finally entering the ALL TIME Global Top10 as #10 highest grossing film of ALL TIME at Global #BoxOffice, after crossing 900M overseas on 8th WED, for a 905.3M intl. cume over 51 markets.
Added 618.7M US cume, the animation hits a 1.52B Global cume!

With it holding strong despite #DM4 & #Deadpool3 overseas and having debuted TODAY in #Japan with a strong opening day, it has 1.6B+ locked and can even dream of much higher heights.

Eyeing a 1.6B-1.7B Global run!

LittleBuford

I think this is the story of the Box Office, it's hard to make sense of the audience these days. I am sure this is why Hollywood is in such a scramble.
It has me questioning what I missed about the film, which I really liked but certainly didn’t love. But as you say, this isn’t the only surprise the box office has thrown our way of late.

LittleBuford

Frozen II beat Frozen (despite the prediction of a certain "Pro" who said he had inside Disney metrics that it was going to bomb).
That parallel came to mind (in part because, as with IO2, I found the sequel weaker than the original), but the difference there was that Frozen was a global phenomenon, whereas Inside Out (as I remember things) wasn’t.

Last edited:

DKampy

Ppl p
I think this is the story of the Box Office, it's hard to make sense of the audience these days. I am sure this is why Hollywood is in such a scramble.
agreed…the box office has never been so unpredictable…what works one year does not necessarily work the next… last year an easy bet was low budget horror…except for a couple (A Quiet Place, Longlegs) films recently doing decent not so much this year… even Maxxxine did not really pop at the box offices despite building momentum from the previous Ti West movies and pretty good reviews

BrianLo

DIS has a pretty strong track record of being the fastest to a billion pre-pandemic. They pulled it off again.

Currently at the domestic B.O. for the January 1-July 31 period, Disney/20th Century Studios leads all motion picture studios with $1.07 billion, ahead of Universal’s $997.4M, per ComScore

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That parallel came to mind (in part because, as with IO2, I found the sequel weaker than the original), but the difference there was that Frozen was a global phenomenon, whereas Inside Out (as I remember things) wasn’t.
IO was really, really big in schools. It gave teachers and especially (guidance) counselors a framework to talk about feelings with children and how to manage them.

Children were making adults watch Frozen. Adults were making children watch IO.

CinematicFusion

‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ Slashes R-Rated Wednesday U.S. Box Office Record; Global Crossing $600M+ Today​

Another day, another box office record for MarvelStudios/Disney’s Deadpool & Wolverine. On Wednesday, the Shawn Levy-directed movie set the record for an R-rated movie, making $19.3M. That’s miles ahead of the previous champ Joker, which made $9.6M on October 9, 2019.

The domestic total stands at $280.4M. As we told you, Deadpool & Wolverine is bound to pass The Passion of Christ ($370.7M) by EOD Sunday as the highest grossing R-rated movie ever with a running cume of $380M.

celluloid

Let's not forget Inside Out to Inside Out 2 was filled with nothing but crap from Pixar and a lot of sequels. One original Elemental that tried to earn trust back and probably helped the brand.

It is not like 2016-2023 Pixar was anything golden.

It is nearly a decade ago. Practically a nostalgia play for those who saw it in elementary school and have now become adults and the other family members ages in-between who grew up with it.

Prince-1

Let's not forget Inside Out to Inside Out 2 was filled with nothing but crap from Pixar and a lot of sequels. One original Elemental that tried to earn trust back and probably helped the brand.

It is not like 2016-2023 Pixar was anything golden.

It is nearly a decade ago. Practically a nostalgia play for those who saw it in elementary school and have now become adults and the other family members ages in-between who grew up with it.

Coco was far from crap.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Updates to Disney's upcoming theatrical slate:
  • “A REAL PAIN” (Searchlight) previously dated on 10/18/24 moves to 11/1/24 (Limited)
  • “THUNDERBOLTS*” is the updated title of “THUNDERBOLTS” dated on 5/2/25
  • UNTITLED DISNEY previously dated on 3/7/25 is removed from schedule
  • “THE FANTASTIC FOUR: FIRST STEPS” is the updated title of “THE FANTASTIC FOUR” dated on 7/25/25
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 8/8/25
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 9/12/25
  • “AVENGERS: DOOMSDAY” is the updated title of “AVENGERS: THE KANG DYNASTY” dated on 5/1/26
  • UNTITLED MARVEL previously dated on 7/24/26 is removed from schedule
  • UNTITLED DISNEY previously dated on 8/14/26 moves to 8/7/26
  • UNTITLED DISNEY previously dated on 9/18/26 moves to 9/11/26
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 2/12/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 3/5/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 4/2/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 5/28/27
  • UNTITLED PIXAR is now dated on 6/18/27
  • UNTITLED MARVEL is now dated on 7/23/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 8/6/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 9/17/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY is now dated on 10/8/27
  • UNTITLED MARVEL is now dated on 11/5/27
  • UNTITLED DISNEY ANIMATION is now dated on 11/24/27

celluloid

Coco was far from crap.

Fair. And evident by besides Frozen the property they keep shoving into the parks.

But that is one near the beginning of the last near decade mentioned back in 2017, Among crap/crap reception and other sequels. The brand was pretty damaged until Elemental gave some glimmer and Inside Out 2 giving people the want for good Pixar in theaters.

I think the fact that we have to bring up 2017's film, is a great example of why things have gone the way they have.

Last edited:

TP2000

Happy early weekend, gang! I hope we've all got summer fun in the sun planned! 🌞 🌊 🌭 🇺🇸

Here's box office for yesterday, previewing what should be another very strong weekend for Deadpool & Wolverine, plus the big boffo box office of the summer Inside Out 2!

Happy Weekend Gang.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom