Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is funny considering most people agree the number one factor in the success of the original was the release date
I wouldn't call it "most people". The people saying that I feel are trying to take a dig at the movie on how it only did well because it was situated between Infinity War and End Game. I won't discount it as a factor, but I won't put it as the number one factor.

Hawkeye_2018

I wouldn't call it "most people". The people saying that I feel are trying to take a dig at the movie on how it only did well because it was situated between Infinity War and End Game. I won't discount it as a factor, but I won't put it as the number one factor.
So what would the number one factor be? CM is a good movie but also considered mid tier among MCU films. The film did bonkers business when the MCU was white hot. The sequel was again, maybe the biggest bomb of all time. Which only helps the argument that the original benefited greatly from it's release date.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So what would the number one factor be? CM is a good movie but also considered mid tier among MCU films. The film did bonkers business when the MCU was white hot. The sequel was again, maybe the biggest bomb of all time. Which only helps the argument that the original benefited greatly from it's release date.
I think you just said it yourself. That was the height of the MCU at the time. Again I'm not discounting the fact it had a prime release date, but to say it was the number one factor for it doing well diminishes any quality the film had.

Also many forget, if it was just about the prime release date Ant-Man and Wasp which was also released between Infinity War and End Game would have been a Billion dollar movie too, and it was not. So that sort of blows that being the number one factor out of the water.

Wendy Pleakley

I think you just said it yourself. That was the height of the MCU at the time. Again I'm not discounting the fact it had a prime release date, but to say it was the number one factor for it doing well diminishes any quality the film had.

Also many forget, if it was just about the prime release date Ant-Man and Wasp which was also released between Infinity War and End Game would have been a Billion dollar movie too, and it was not. So that sort of blows that being the number one factor out of the water.

The difference, to be fair, was that Ant-Man came to home streaming/video before Endgame was released.

You had to see Captain Marvel in the theater if you wanted to be caught up.

It was hardly necessary viewing, but they cleverly let us think it was.

Hawkeye_2018

It's OK to say it was the number 1 factor while still saying it was a decent film.

CM release was also different than say Antman and Wasp. CM release date was so close to the next Avengers film that there was serious concerns you may not be able to see it at home before the next Avengers hit's theaters. That was not the case with Antman and Wasp. Also, history has shown the general public is pretty lukewarm on Antman in general

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The difference, to be fair, was that Ant-Man came to home streaming/video before Endgame was released.

You had to see Captain Marvel in the theater if you wanted to be caught up.

It was hardly necessary viewing, but they cleverly let us think it was.
It came out right after Infinity War, so you'd think it would have fallen into that "must watch" blanket as well, but it only got a slight bump from where Ant-Man box office was.

Again I'm not saying that Captain Marvel didn't have a prime release date and that it didn't help its box office. But to say its the number one factor as the poster is claiming for why it did so well, that just doesn't fly to me. People have that opinion, sure, but when I see it being said its mostly used as a dig against the film.

easyrowrdw

It's OK to say it was the number 1 factor while still saying it was a decent film.

CM release was also different than say Antman and Wasp. CM release date was so close to the next Avengers film that there was serious concerns you may not be able to see it at home before the next Avengers hit's theaters. That was not the case with Antman and Wasp. Also, history has shown the general public is pretty lukewarm on Antman in general
Looks like Ant-Man was the 4th lowest grossing MCU movie at that point so it the sequel not being a giant hit makes sense (it did make more $ than the original though). I was going to say that Captain Marvel also had better reviews, but Wasp actually has a slightly higher metacritic critics rating than Marvel. Interesting.

Wendy Pleakley

It came out right after Infinity War, so you'd think it would have fallen into that "must watch" blanket as well, but it only got a slight bump from where Ant-Man box office was.

Again I'm not saying that Captain Marvel didn't have a prime release date and that it didn't help its box office. But to say its the number one factor as the poster is claiming for why it did so well, that just doesn't fly to me. People have that opinion, sure, but when I see it being said its mostly used as a dig against the film.

I'm sure it was considered "must watch" but that meant streaming for many people. Must watch for Captain Marvel required a theater visit. My guess, based purely on instinct and how much I enjoyed Captain Marvel is that it probably got a 33% or so box office boost from the Endgame tie-in.

I'm sure it was a factor for many people overall, but the quality drop between the two Captain Marvel movies was not nearly as bad as the box office implied.

Lots of factors could have influenced it. Tying it into a so-so TV series didn't help. I liked the Kamala character and chemistry between the actors, but the show didn't make me want to see her in a movie.

There's also the post-Covid factor where movies seem to hit it huge, or bomb, with nothing in between. If a movie "clicks" people will show up, but if a movie doesn't hit that "must see" threshold, people won't go.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm sure it was considered "must watch" but that meant streaming for many people. Must watch for Captain Marvel required a theater visit. My guess, based purely on instinct and how much I enjoyed Captain Marvel is that it probably got a 33% or so box office boost from the Endgame tie-in.

I'm sure it was a factor for many people overall, but the quality drop between the two Captain Marvel movies was not nearly as bad as the box office implied.

Lots of factors could have influenced it. Tying it into a so-so TV series didn't help. I liked the Kamala character and chemistry between the actors, but the show didn't make me want to see her in a movie.

There's also the post-Covid factor where movies seem to hit it huge, or bomb, with nothing in between. If a movie "clicks" people will show up, but if a movie doesn't hit that "must see" threshold, people won't go.
Did it mean "streaming" for most people? This was still 18 months before the release of D+ and Marvel movies weren't really going to Netflix before then. So streaming really wasn't a thing yet in 2018 when Ant-Man and Wasp was released.

Wendy Pleakley

Did it mean "streaming" for most people? This was still 18 months before the release of D+ and Marvel movies weren't really going to Netflix before then. So streaming really wasn't a thing yet in 2018 when Ant-Man and Wasp was released.

Streaming as in you could buy or rent it digitally at a fraction of the cost of going to the theater.

I saw Captain Marvel in the theater but watched Ant-Man at home.

I'm sure many people made the same choice.

TP2000

I think The Marvels will have a little more long term prospects than the former. Not ‘not a bomb’ prospects, but the former films have been absolutely buried.

I was told there would be a Season 2 of Ms. Marvel, but I'm still waiting. And I have plenty of time to wait.

Phroobar

Unless they announce something soon, she's going to age out of that role in 2-3 years.
The only thing Iman Vellani has in active development is Avengers Secret Wars and she is only rumored. I guess she is in Marvel Zombies too. Why all this build up for Young Avengers for just crickets?

CinematicFusion

We rented “Fall Guy” and found it underwhelming. While it had a few laughs, the story wasn’t very engaging and felt somewhat unnecessary. Despite the film’s great visuals, my wife lost interest and bailed after 30 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom