Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Tony the Tigger

I don't really see that, but I think it's probably just a matter of opinion. According to Google AI šŸ˜‚ , "Some conservative reviews of Inside Out 2 have noted that the movie avoids major content concerns for Christian families, and that it has messages that have biblical precedents." The "conservative" reviews I see were posted in advance of the release so they don't seem to be post-hoc rationalizations.

But I think that statements from filmmakers and executives support that they are attempting to make a shift.
From the NY Times article.
So what if IO2 had a gay character? Do we still think the (apparently) good story/quality movie would render that meaningless? Or would the boycott brigade kick in?

Itā€™s different from Deadpool. Itā€™s an animated film aimed at children.

bwr827

Even in this forum, we had multiple posts mocking the fact that the hockey coach was portrayed as a Black woman (because statistically she ā€œshouldā€ have been white). Had the film done badly, it would have been easy for those so inclined to spin it as a ā€œwokeā€ fail.
That was one poster with a weird fixation, if I recall correctly.

easyrowrdw

Even in this forum, we had multiple posts mocking the fact that the hockey coach was portrayed as a Black woman (because statistically she ā€œshouldā€ have been white). Had the film done badly, it would have been easy for those so inclined to spin it as a ā€œwokeā€ fail.
I hadnā€™t seen those (I havenā€™t read the entire thread). As I said, the consensus opinion from what I can see is that conservative viewers do not view Inside Out 2 as ā€œwoke.ā€ I'm sure there are outliers though.
I donā€™t take what Iger says as gospel, particularly when the films themselves donā€™t bear out what heā€™s saying. Elemental has much stronger social messaging than Lightyear, yet itā€™s infinitely more entertaining and, of course, did much better at the box office. Something can be entertaining (or not) regardless of whether it has a strong message.
Sure, it could just be talk. I pulled the Iger quote as this is a Disney board, but the article was pointing to a larger trend. I guess we'll see.

LittleBuford

Barbie is not a PG animated Disney film that parents take their 6 year olds to see. Apparently Barbie was also a good movie. I tried to watch it but fell asleep. The Disney brand has a reputation that was built over the last 100 years. People have certain expectations and have/had a strong emotional connection to the company. Again, you had two women kissing in Lightyear. A boy crushing on another boy in Strange World. This was a huge shock to many people. Many parents are not comfortable with this content being in children's movies. Especially Disney ones. You are either being obtuse or just don't get it as you think that a multicultural relationship between a flame and a puddle of water is comparable to the examples above. What happens in Inside Out 2 that you think remotely comes close to these two examples that would keep a lot of conservative families away? These are the main reasons a lot of people found those movies woke and stayed away from the theaters. Why do you refuse to understand or accept this reality?
Iā€™m responding to the claim that the (Disney) films that do badly are those that are ā€œwokeā€ and heavy on social messaging. My comparison of Lightyear and Elemental is revealing in this regard for reasons Iā€™ve already outlined. But it seems the claim Iā€™m responding to isnā€™t quite what it seems, because if your framing of it is correct, itā€™s the presence of queer characters rather than progressive messaging per se thatā€™s the issue. Following your logic, the plodding and charmless Lightyear would have done much better than it did at the box office had it not featured that brief, narratively inconsequential lesbian kiss. That just doesnā€™t wash with me.

LittleBuford

So what if IO2 had a gay character? Do we still think the (apparently) good story/quality movie would render that meaningless? Or would the boycott brigade kick in?
I know youā€™re not asking me, but I think both would happen: weā€™d have some vocal complaints from some quarters but they ultimately wouldnā€™t stop the film from doing really well.

LittleBuford

Now Iā€™m puzzled; I thought you were eager to move on from this topic.

Instead, youā€™re single-handedly keeping it alive.
Please quit it. I already made clear that I was talking about the long-term discourse here. And thereā€™s nothing singlehanded about it when multiple people (yourself included) are responding to me. If youā€™d rather I stay silent, I suggest you put me on ignore.

J4546

Marvels was just a terrible movie that nobody wanted. Noone knows the Marvels, and introducing a dozen new characters noone cares about into an already packed Marvel universe was a terrible idea. that just imo

BrianLo

It's the biggest box office bomb of all time. Yet because of "reasons" it rarely gets roasted the way other bombs have

Thatā€™s still technically John Carter and Lone Ranger. But itā€™s a very close three way race.

I think The Marvels will have a little more long term prospects than the former. Not ā€˜not a bombā€™ prospects, but the former films have been absolutely buried.

BrianLo

As far as roasting, Marvels got roasted plenty by many out on the interwebs, even if most of it isn't deserved.

I like the Marvels. Itā€™s certainly not the worst MCU film by a long shot. I think long term weā€™ll see a softening on it, a la Thor the Dark World. Mostly because they clearly arenā€™t going to just ditch all those characters.

In fact out of Disneys no good, very bad year, I like the Marvels third (behind GoTG3/Elemental).

But I have affinity for Iman and hope she gets a nice comeuppance in a young Avengers product.

easyrowrdw

Thatā€™s still technically John Carter and Lone Ranger. But itā€™s a very close three way race.

I think The Marvels will have a little more long term prospects than the former. Not ā€˜not a bombā€™ prospects, but the former films have been absolutely buried.
Yeah. I imagine the ongoing MCU would help the movie long-term, at least in terms of D+ viewers.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I like the Marvels. Itā€™s certainly not the worst MCU film by a long shot. I think long term weā€™ll see a softening on it, a la Thor the Dark World. Mostly because they clearly arenā€™t going to just ditch all those characters.

In fact out of Disneys no good, very bad year, I like the Marvels third (behind GoTG3/Elemental).

But I have affinity for Iman and hope she gets a nice comeuppance in a young Avengers product.
Exactly, I honestly believe had it been released at another time in MCU history it would have done a lot better than it did.

Anyways its not going to be swept under the rug like other "bombs" in Disney's history. The characters will live on and so will the movie.

Hawkeye_2018

Exactly, I honestly believe had it been released at another time in MCU history it would have done a lot better than it did.

Anyways its not going to be sweep under the rug like other "bombs" in Disney's history. The characters will live on and so will the movie.
This is funny considering most people agree the number one factor in the success of the original was the release date

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom