Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Casper Gutman

I don't think it'll be a $1B movie, but I think it'll perform moderately well.
I’ve been amazed by the success of the live-action remakes, all of which seem pretty useless (Cinderella and Maleficent were OK, haven’t seen Cruella) so I’m not sure I trust my own judgement. I can see a slight underperformance… but I can also see an inexplicably huge blockbuster performance. We’ll have to see how the box office performs before then - for the last month, it’s seemed almost pre-pandemic normal (except for the low number of releases).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’ve been amazed by the success of the live-action remakes, all of which seem pretty useless (Cinderella and Maleficent were OK, haven’t seen Cruella) so I’m not sure I trust my own judgement. I can see a slight underperformance… but I can also see an inexplicably huge blockbuster performance. We’ll have to see how the box office performs before then - for the last month, it’s seemed almost pre-pandemic normal (except for the low number of releases).
I wouldn't say its back to pre-pandemic normal by any means, it was only a couple weeks ago when analysts were talking about the potential of summer 2024 being lost completely.

Its going to take a bunch of hits the rest of the year to be even close to last year, right now tracking over $2B below.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think Mufasa is going to live or die by word of mouth reviews, people love the Lion King and it’s more of a sequel than a live action remake so it‘s a bit of an outlier.

More importantly I wanted to reply to say check out Cruella when you get a chance, it’s my favorite live action remake, in large part because it’s not a remake, more of a new take on an old story like Maleficent was.

Casper Gutman

I think Mufasa is going to live or die by word of mouth reviews, people love the Lion King and it’s more of a sequel than a live action remake so it‘s a bit of an outlier.

More importantly I wanted to reply to say check out Cruella when you get a chance, it’s my favorite live action remake, in large part because it’s not a remake, more of a new take on an old story like Maleficent was.
Oh, I want to see Cruella and I’m happy it’s getting a sequel. I have no real problem with live-action “reimagings,” though I do think the trend of “she wasn’t REALLY evil” movies is kind of funny. I’d love a satire with a character like Captain Hook desperately trying and failing to rewrite himself as the hero of the story.

I hated the live-action Lion King and I’m honestly baffled by its success. Given the increased importance of opening weekend (and LK had a huge one), I’m not sure word of mouth is as important as it once was. Certainly it can give something like Elemental legs or soften the drop off, but for Mufasa I think it’s all that opening weekend.

brideck

And here we are…the pretense any of it was good has been dropped….finally…but we can’t let go of our binkie that the holy company can’t fail.

Speak for yourself. My position was that it was a mediocre slate (for mass appeal, I enjoyed a couple of them myself), but not one *on its own* worthy of the amount of vitriol it received or the *scope* of failure it had at the box office. In other words, it even underperformed its decidedly mid quality. Especially when you consider that outside of Pixar, Disney hasn't generally made great movies over the last 10+ years, but have had many more raging successes than that.

But take a mediocre slate, add in a dash of pandemic-decreased audience, a tablespoon of overfocusing on streaming, and a smidgen of prominent negative attention in the culture wars? Yeah, I can see how a colossal failure could have happened given all of that.

BrianLo

So what sequels will we be seeing before then? Toy Story 5 is on the schedule. I believe Nemo and incredibles have been mentioned. The way they’re pushing Coco, I have to think they’ll try and milk that franchise. Monsters seems obvious. Do little gems like Rat and WALL-E stay as one offs? I’d kind of like it if they tried sequels to some less likely candidates - how about A Bugs Life 2? Or Luca 2? If we’re stuck in the sequel rut, let’s get weird with it.

I still assume there will be original fare. The ratio will probably re-worsen, but you have to make new things to turn into sequels.

Incredibles 3 and Coco 2 would be my highest bets. Followed by Elemental 2, actually.

Bugs life has been left behind. Maybe Luca?

Farerb

I still assume there will be original fare. The ratio will probably re-worsen, but you have to make new things to turn into sequels.

Incredibles 3 and Coco 2 would be my highest bets. Followed by Elemental 2, actually.

Bugs life has been left behind. Maybe Luca?
I can see sequels to Coco, Luca, Turning Red and Elemental. I don't think Incredibles 3 will happen that soon, as long as Brad Bird still works on Ray Gunn for Skydance.

BrianLo

I’m also thinking of Alice through the looking glass as a comp for how it could miss. I really don’t know with this one. If it makes 900 million I wouldn’t be surprised and if it makes 300 I also wouldn’t be.

BrianLo

I don’t think I saw this earlier.

Brazil joined the gang on Thursday with $3.2M, giving the movie a No. 1 launch that is the biggest opening day of all time for an animated title and the 5th highest for any film ever. It’s also tops overall for the year so far.

China less grand, but also not working with much to begin with

Meanwhile, China opened today with an estimated $2.6M (not included in the totals above). This portends a weekend in the $10M range. IO2 has a 9.5 audience score from Maoyan (which is the best for any Hollywood movie so far this year, and above the 9.0 score of the original). The sequel is expected ultimately to best the first film’s final of $15.3M

I think we can add the collapse of Hollywood in China to the list of problems with the current state of the box office. I think China last decade was largely distracting from underlying weakness in the theatrical landscape by still promising Hollywood they were in a growing industry landscape.

Not that this is bad compared to its progenitor, but China was giving us 200 million results on Zootopias and Cocos not long ago. I think one of the problems was betting on the wrong markets. China is a long play, India was clearly a mistake (it’s way too early for that market).

I’ve said several times, but if I had revisionist power over the companies decision making, the market to play into was in fact South Korea.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not sure how the thread went from discussing the Disney box office to an argument about news sources, preferred pronouns, and intersex people and tossing insults and snarky remarks back and forth, but anyone who cannot remain on topic, and/or respond civilly without personal attacks will not be allowed to continue posting.

brideck

OK, box office. Are we still betting against Mufasa? I was pretty sure it would underperform, but I’m increasingly less convinced…

I still have trouble fathoming what a Barry Jenkins work-for-hire movie will be like, much less one that's 100% CG. It's just a baffling pairing. I would never want to doubt the man, but we're talking a need for mass appeal here. I think Sonic 3 wins that weekend and the holidays in general.

brideck

Do I have the rest of the 2024 slate right?

Jun 28 - Kinds of Kindness (Searchlight)
Jul 26 - Deadpool & Wolverine (20th)
Aug 16 - Alien: Romulus (20th)
Oct 18 - A Real Pain (Searchlight)
Nov 27 - Moana 2
Dec 6 - Nightb***h (Searchlight)
Dec 20 - Mufasa: The Lion King

I know the reasons for it, but it is shocking just how empty the summer release calendar feels. It's enough to make even me miss the MCU. Well... not quite that bad.

Minnesota disney fan

I'm not sure how the thread went from discussing the Disney box office to an argument about news sources, preferred pronouns, and intersex people and tossing insults and snarky remarks back and forth, but anyone who cannot remain on topic, and/or respond civilly without personal attacks will not be allowed to continue posting.
Thank You, The Mom. It was getting to be tiring!

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t think I saw this earlier.

Brazil joined the gang on Thursday with $3.2M, giving the movie a No. 1 launch that is the biggest opening day of all time for an animated title and the 5th highest for any film ever. It’s also tops overall for the year so far.

China less grand, but also not working with much to begin with

Meanwhile, China opened today with an estimated $2.6M (not included in the totals above). This portends a weekend in the $10M range. IO2 has a 9.5 audience score from Maoyan (which is the best for any Hollywood movie so far this year, and above the 9.0 score of the original). The sequel is expected ultimately to best the first film’s final of $15.3M

I think we can add the collapse of Hollywood in China to the list of problems with the current state of the box office. I think China last decade was largely distracting from underlying weakness in the theatrical landscape by still promising Hollywood they were in a growing industry landscape.

Not that this is bad compared to its progenitor, but China was giving us 200 million results on Zootopias and Cocos not long ago. I think one of the problems was betting on the wrong markets. China is a long play, India was clearly a mistake (it’s way too early for that market).

I’ve said several times, but if I had revisionist power over the companies decision making, the market to play into was in fact South Korea.
This is doing so much better than I thought it would, I predicted it might get to $500 million but thought that would be a huge success in the struggling theater business.

Tony the Tigger

Do I have the rest of the 2024 slate right?

Jun 28 - Kinds of Kindness (Searchlight)
Jul 26 - Deadpool & Wolverine (20th)
Aug 16 - Alien: Romulus (20th)
Oct 18 - A Real Pain (Searchlight)
Nov 27 - Moana 2
Dec 6 - Nightb***h (Searchlight)
Dec 20 - Mufasa: The Lion King

I know the reasons for it, but it is shocking just how empty the summer release calendar feels. It's enough to make even me miss the MCU. Well... not quite that bad.
I think the only one I’m into is Deadpool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom