Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And wasn't it great when they were treated as actual movies and not boring content for toddlers?
Even in The Princess and the Frog you had Naveen making a move on Tiana. Characters felt like actual human beings and not whatever they were on Wish.
No company on the planet is more guilty of being less intellectually stimulating/more dumbed down than Disney

Would you like a remake, a fifth sequel, or what they laughingly label “Star Wars”?

Maybe that’s what THN has targeted?

TP2000

Here we go, gang. The Thursday box office numbers are finally out! This should preview this weekend's Top 5 placement nicely, as Inside Out 2 steamrolls into another boffo box office weekend with no new competition.

I think by Monday it would be wise to tally up how Apes 9 did over all, as it's nearing stall speed now. Also, I think it would be interesting on Monday to do a compare/contrast of that $60 Million budget Garfield movie against the $200 Million Wish.

Til Thursday.jpg

brideck

Here we go, gang. The Thursday box office numbers are finally out! This should preview this weekend's Top 5 placement nicely, as Inside Out 2 steamrolls into another boffo box office weekend with no new competition.

Not included in Thursday's numbers (despite having previews) is Universal's [Focus] new release, The Bikeriders. Fans of the show may recall this as a movie originally slated to come out under the Disney/20th label last year, but they dumped it (or lost it? Not sure which) due to last year's strikes.

On a budget of $40m, it's slated to open just shy of $10m domestically this weekend, which would likely put it 3rd.

Last edited:

brideck

A puff piece article you personally feel offers too much praise to a mediocre film

It wasn't even really that, even. That headline is from a Rotten Tomatoes piece that's just aggregating together a bunch of professional critics' comments. And it reads that way because professional critics kind of somewhat liked Lightyear [Metascore 60] since they're generally trained to not carry their expectations into the theater with them.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not included in Thursday's numbers (despite having previews) is Universal's [Focus] new release, The Bikeriders. Fans of the show may recall this as a movie originally slated to come out under the Disney/20th label last year, but they dumped it (or lost it? Not sure which) due to last year's strikes.

On a budget of $40m, it's slated to open just shy of $10m domestically this weekend, which would likely put it 3rd.
Saw Bikeriders last night. It was pretty good, I never read the book it was based on but it does do a good job at depicting the biker lifestyle from the time period. Butler and Hardy's chemistry on-screen is seen and shows how much of a brotherhood bikers have.

Its too bad it couldn't be released under Searchlight, I think it will be up for some awards.

DKampy

Saw Bikeriders last night. It was pretty good, I never read the book it was based on but it does do a good job at depicting the biker lifestyle from the time period. Butler and Hardy's chemistry on-screen is seen and shows how much of a brotherhood bikers have.

Its too bad it couldn't be released under Searchlight, I think it will be up for some awards.
Will be seeing this tomorrow… it’s been a long wait… As I have been looking forward to seeing this since it’s original release date in December

BrianLo

Had the Inside Out series been announced before this week? Because seeing Disney return to milking a successful franchise into what is sure to be diminishing returns shows they are so, so back.

With the turnaround timeframe on animation, I would be either surprised it wasn’t already in the works, or is just a bunch of shorts, in which case it probably won’t do much in the way of diminishing returns since Toy Story and Despicable Me both did a bunch.

They need to resist the urge to make IO3 under 7+ years from now. If they can do that it can hit an ok nostalgia plateau for more. Assuming they take it to the young adult college years where the bulk of their 13-17yo audience will then be.

Casper Gutman

With the turnaround timeframe on animation, I would be either surprised it wasn’t already in the works, or is just a bunch of shorts, in which case it probably won’t do much in the way of diminishing returns since Toy Story and Despicable Me both did a bunch.

They need to resist the urge to make IO3 under 7+ years from now. If they can do that it can hit an ok nostalgia plateau for more. Assuming they take it to the young adult college years where the bulk of their 13-17yo audience will then be.
So what sequels will we be seeing before then? Toy Story 5 is on the schedule. I believe Nemo and incredibles have been mentioned. The way they’re pushing Coco, I have to think they’ll try and milk that franchise. Monsters seems obvious. Do little gems like Rat and WALL-E stay as one offs? I’d kind of like it if they tried sequels to some less likely candidates - how about A Bugs Life 2? Or Luca 2? If we’re stuck in the sequel rut, let’s get weird with it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Why wait?

Nobody can resist bobs personal brand…

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I honestly think there is more common ground here than many want to realize or admit.

Overall Disney had a bad 2023 at the box office comparatively and its for many reasons. Those reasons can and will be debated for many many many years to come. So far 2024 looks to be way better than 2023 and may end up with Disney being back on top at the box office.

What we may end up having is that 2023 was just a blip year and the company corrected itself quickly to rebound in 2024.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I honestly think there is more common ground here than many want to realize or admit.

Overall Disney had a bad 2023 at the box office comparatively and its for many reasons. Those reasons can and will be debated for many many many years to come. So far 2024 looks to be way better than 2023 and may end up with Disney being back on top at the box office.

What we may end up having is that 2023 was just a blip year and the company corrected itself quickly to rebound in 2024.
Easy there…they’ve released 1 decent movie so far?

They’re benefiting from this one and will from Deadpool…the rest are heading back to tiredville.

They continue to have a bad philosophy of pumping out fatigued material.

And didn’t yutz just decree he’s gonna do MORE of that? 🙄

Looks like he may be looking to jump ship again…which is nothing but a positive.

And yes…there is more common ground here than it seems. In Disney forums that is almost always the case.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Hallelujah​

Finally coming around to my point of view I see. ;)

I've said that a few times.
This isn't "finally coming around to your point of view", as I've always thought that there is common ground here. And no offense but it doesn't come across as though you've been saying that, but maybe I missed it.

I still disagree with a lot of your takes on things. But really think that most of what a majority are saying is just different shades of gray rather than black and white divided.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This isn't "finally coming around to your point of view", as I've always thought that there is common ground here. And no offense but it doesn't come across as though you've been saying that, but maybe I missed it.

I still disagree with a lot of your takes on things. But really think that most of what a majority are saying is just different shades of gray rather than black and white divided.
You need to get your sarcasm detection radar into the shop and have it looked at 👍🏻🤓

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Easy there…they’ve released 1 decent movie so far?

They’re benefiting from this one and will from Deadpool…the rest are heading back to tiredville.

They continue to have a bad philosophy of pumping out fatigued material.

And didn’t yutz just decree he’s gonna do MORE of that? 🙄

Looks like he may be looking to jump ship again…which is nothing but a positive.

And yes…there is more common ground here than it seems. In Disney forums that is almost always the case.
Well that is just your opinion, as you like to claim the market will determine if the current strategy will work or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom