Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

TP2000

Bugs life has been left behind.

I saw Bug's Life in the early 00's, the waning days of going to Blockbuster to rent a movie for my nephews to watch, and I distinctly remember thinking "Geez, this movie is dumb." A year or so later, DCA opened A Bug's Land in a panic over their failing theme park, and I had the same feeling as watching the movie when riding Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. 🤣

Meanwhile, China opened today with an estimated $2.6M (not included in the totals above). This portends a weekend in the $10M range. IO2 has a 9.5 audience score from Maoyan (which is the best for any Hollywood movie so far this year, and above the 9.0 score of the original). The sequel is expected ultimately to best the first film’s final of $15.3M

I think we can add the collapse of Hollywood in China to the list of problems with the current state of the box office.

I'd love for the Smart Set in Burbank to explain to us why Communist China got two new theme park resorts built there in the past 20 years. If the movies from Burbank aren't able to be screened in China, or get very little play if they do make it past the Communist censors, then what the heck was the point of spending Billions and Billions on theme parks there? 🤔

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd love for the Smart Set in Burbank to explain to us why Communist China got two new theme park resorts built there in the past 20 years. If the movies from Burbank aren't able to be screened in China, or get very little play if they do make it past the Communist censors, then what the heck was the point of spending Billions and Billions on theme parks there? 🤔
I'll give you 899M reasons, its a very large consumer base of 899M people who's money spends just as well as anyone spending the greenback. Its the reason why there were rumors at one point of Disney looking at India with their 473M consumers for their next international Park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll give you 899M reasons, its a very large consumer base of 899M people who's money spends just as well as anyone spending the greenback. Its the reason why there were rumors at one point of Disney looking at India with their 473M consumers for their next international Park.
And you fell for that cover story hook, line and sinker too…

Not breaking news on this one

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anyways, so you commented on Inside Out 2 in that thread. Did you actually see it? And if you did what do you feel now on its predictions of being one of the top movies of the year?
What about my review led you to believe I didn’t see it? 😎

It was fantastic. About 2/3 of the way through I had my doubts…but they really STUCK the landing.

And that’s what a good movie has to do. Non-negotiable

Joy and Sadness were also great…really good character develop for all actually.

It was really, really good.

Top for the year? It has a shot.

I thought the trailers for it were terrible. Which made the payoff much better

The mufasa trailer looked ok…the Moana one looked really good.

I’d say it’s gonna be IO2 and Moana close…DM4 next and mufasa next

But all will likely be successes. In a year with a rather light schedule…that would be a nice rebound from all the high quality last year

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What about my review led you to believe I didn’t see it? 😎
Posting history, can never really tell with your posts if you're being genuine or its just more snark. So instead of assuming that is why I asked.

It was fantastic. About 2/3 of the way through I had my doubts…but they really STUCK the landing.

And that’s what a good movie has to do. Non-negotiable

Joy and Sadness were also great…really good character develop for all actually.

It was really, really good.
Good I'm glad you liked it.

Top for the year? It has a shot.
Well given its just passed Dune 2 for domestic I think it has a really good shot. This weekend it should come close if not surpassing Panda 4 to be the top animated WW for the year to date.

I thought the trailers for it were terrible. Which made the payoff much better
Trailers are always hit or miss for me, that is for all studios.

The mufasa trailer looked ok…the Moana one looked really good.

I’d say it’s gonna be IO2 and Moana close…DM4 next and mufasa next

But all will likely be successes. In a year with a rather light schedule…that would be a nice rebound from all the high quality last year
I agree with most of that.

BrianLo

It’s a not so subtle Trojan horse into the market…

However, in their defense, Shanghai Disney is their first successful new resort launch since 1983. So it is working, it will just take a generation for that market to mature from their childhood trips to Disney adults.

I will also die on a hill that Hong Kong Disneyland is a total gem. Mostly because it’s basically just modeled after Disneyland proper in a beautiful location. Finally, finally, it seems to be finding its support base.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom