Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Tony the Tigger

Maybe the bomber bots forgot it was coming out this weekend, I know some of our posters here forgot.

Seriously though, It is starting to get getting review bombed already just not heavy yet, you get nice little gems like this -

View attachment 791969

Clearly that reviewer didn't see the movie. I'm sure more will be on the way over the weekend. We'll see if it has any real effect.
So was it somewhere between one lesbian and lesbians everywhere? Or was it zero?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
So was it somewhere between one lesbian and lesbians everywhere? Or was it zero?
I just saw the movie this morning. No one presented as a lesbian in any obvious way to me.

It’s a girls hockey team. They didn’t all walk around in flowery sundresses. You can choose to read anything you want into how certain characters looked and dressed. I thought they looked like a realistic cross section of a girls hockey team in a wealthy part of the Bay Area.

But the movie isn’t about love interests, and other than a few secret crushes of Riley’s (on boys) it didn’t come up.

DKampy

Less exciting story, but another one none the less for Disney. Kingdom had a ridiculous hold! I guess it was effective Fathers Day counter programming?

3.) Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (20th/Dis) 2,600 (-555) theaters, Fri $1.3M (-10%) Sat $1.9MSun $2M 3-day $5.2M (-4%), Total $157.8M/Wk 6

I almost wonder if they might attempt to re-expand Apes slightly or at least I’d be pretty surprised if it sheds a ton of screens next weekend.
Probably has to do with Father’s Day… seems like a film that would be a Dads demographic

TalkingHead

Anyway you slice, this is a big deal. It's also wildly unpredictable for an Inside Out sequel after the last several years.
No disagreement it’s a big deal for Disney, theaters, etc. But devil’s advocate, this seems less surprising the more you think about it. Franchise + family friendly + animation + property that hits adults and kids = this. Checks all the boxes for what’s made big money post-2020, with the exception of outliers like Oppenheimer.

I’m curious if the 100-day theatrical window had any part to play with this opening weekend total.

erasure fan1

Maybe the bomber bots forgot it was coming out this weekend, I know some of our posters here forgot.
Interestingly enough, the channel that started, as far as I can tell, the acolyte is going to destroy star wars worse than last Jedi. Said the film was not as good as the first, but still good. They said it was smaller in scope and had some emotional parts. I was fully expecting them to find a reason to give it a bad review. But surprisingly it was mostly positive.

CinematicFusion

SUNDAY UPDATE, Refresh for latest…: No anxiety here as Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out 2 positively crushed its opening with a $295M worldwide debut. That includes an astonishing $140M from only 38 international box officemarkets. The film, which has exceeded all expectations, continued to spread joy around the globe throughout the session and still has such majors as France, Italy, Spain, China, Brazil and Japan to come.

Wow!…
When using current exchange rates and in like-for-like markets, the $295M global start is bigger than animation opening record-holder The Super Mario Bros Movie. Using a similar metric, the Kelsey Mann-directed Inside Out sequel is the best international animation opening of all time (surpassing Frozen 2’s $135.4M). Inside Out 2also has the biggest overseas and worldwide opening of 2024.

Tony the Tigger

No disagreement it’s a big deal for Disney, theaters, etc. But devil’s advocate, this seems less surprising the more you think about it. Franchise + family friendly + animation + property that hits adults and kids = this. Checks all the boxes for what’s made big money post-2020, with the exception of outliers like Oppenheimer.

I’m curious if the 100-day theatrical window had any part to play with this opening weekend total.
It’s a “perfect storm” for sure, especially considering there haven’t been many “must see” films in a bit, so people are more likely to feel “overdue” for a theater visit.

But doing around $150m vs projected $85m is shocking no matter what.

Let’s see if the usual suspects will give them their due when they earn it.

CinematicFusion

It’s a “perfect storm” for sure, especially considering there haven’t been many “must see” films in a bit, so people are more likely to feel “overdue” for a theater visit.

But doing around $150m vs projected $85m is shocking no matter what.

Let’s see if the usual suspects will give them their due when they earn it.
Crazy good info here… “When using current exchange rates and in like-for-like markets, the $295M global start is bigger than animation opening record-holder The Super Mario Bros Movie. Using a similar metric, the Kelsey Mann-directed Inside Out sequel is the best international animation opening of all time (surpassing Frozen 2’s $135.4M). Inside Out 2also has the biggest overseas and worldwide opening of 2024.”

Tha Realest

It's not a secret. It's been discussed a lot on these very boards.

I’ve never suggested it was a “secret.” I’m asking for a source. This is news to me, and I generally follow Marvel and Feige pretty closely. To the contrary, all of the articles I’ve read discussed how the increased volume (movies and series) has him overworked and spread thin, not that he had dialed back in any way over his responsibilities.
Iger discussed it in high profile interviews.

Please share one where it suggests Feige was working on Marvel “part time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So lemme get this straight…
So even when Disney score a big one…which they desperately needed…

There is tinfoil stuff about review bombers and lesbian backlash here?

Sometimes it’s just a tad too overcomplicated here for the sane mind

People like it so they’re going to see it. It’s not much more complicated than that.

There was never an anti-Disney agenda
There was an ANTI-CRAP agenda…and still is

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So lemme get this straight…
So even when Disney score a big one…which they desperately needed…

There is tinfoil stuff about review bombers and lesbian backlash here?

Sometimes it’s just a tad too overcomplicated here for the sane mind

People like it so they’re going to see it. It’s not much more complicated than that.

There was never an anti-Disney agenda
There was an ANTI-CRAP agenda…and still is
No, the point was that trolls gonna troll even if its a win overall.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s the boogieman living rent free in your headspace. After a year and more of defending failure

The list of those afflicted are short and undistinguished
Not at all, I'm just calling it like I see it.

We've been down this, I don't actually defend everything even if you claim I do. I just don't come on here spouting everything I dislike. For example I think the recent Ducktales series was a piece of garbage, but I don't come on here claiming its the downfall of TWDC as some do with other recent content.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not at all, I'm just calling it like I see it.

We've been down this, I don't actually defend everything even if you claim I do. I just don't come on here spouting everything I dislike. For example I think the recent Ducktales series was a piece of garbage, but I don't come on here claiming its the downfall of TWDC as some do with other recent content.
There is no need to “defend” anything…ever.

The audience/market decides. Crap was rejected as such. It should never be personal to anyone here.

But that’s not how it went, did it? Internet rigging conspiracies…shadows of influence from Bejiing…anti suffragette stuff…

Or…and this is totally bonkers…it was badly written, cast and acted remakes and sequels from failed management at the corporate to studio level?

I know…call the looney bin for me.

And what’s going on with Feige? That seems like a relevant morsel that they tried to bury

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There is no need to “defend” anything…ever.

The audience/market decides. Crap was rejected as such. It should never be personal to anyone here.

But that’s not how it went, did it? Internet rigging conspiracies…shadows of influence from Bejiing…anti suffragette stuff…

Or…and this is totally bonkers…it was badly written, cast and acted remakes and sequels from failed management at the corporate to studio level?

I know…call the looney bin for me.

And what’s going on with Feige? That seems like a relevant morsel that they tried to bury
Ok, so if there is no need to defend, then there is no need to bash things either as you do. If the market/audience decides we got nothing to talk about. These forums are going to get very quiet soon enough. So I expect no longer seeing you post here anymore then since this was your idea.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok, so if there is no need to defend, then there is no need to bash things either as you do. If the market/audience decides we got nothing to talk about. These forums are going to get very quiet soon enough. So I expect no longer seeing you post here anymore then since this was your idea.
There’s no bashing…there are hits and misses

This is a hit and it should be good enough. I’m gonna see it and enjoy it.

The stuff we’ve seen of late that was crap was disregarded as just that.

There are no legitimate grievances today

Disney Irish

Premium Member

You know we were doing so well for a bit there, even agreeing for a bit. How about you do you, and let the rest of us do what we do. Thank you.

Tony the Tigger

If you’re not honest about reality, what’s the point?

When I lived in Jersey, we told the truth, even if it was uncomfortable. Pity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom