Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Unfortunately, it's all very much the same thing. There is an incredibly dispiriting totalizing impulse in modern discourse that means that politics is linked to every single element of society - film, music, technology, friendship, etc. This impulse is not unique to the current moment - it waxes and wanes throughout history - but it is currently at a high point that most of us haven't seen in our lifetime. It's a tremendously complex phenomenon and this isn't the place to try and pick it apart. The impulse often works surreptitiously - most people don't make constant political judgements about every piece of media, but they act largely unthinkingly on unexamined tribal instincts, a vague sense of which pieces of culture are "for them" or "against them." As I've said before, it's a very bad thing that we can make a fairly accurate guess as to how someone votes based on what they think about Star Wars.

All of this is quite upsetting if we think about it, so there is a very natural impulse to deny it, ignore it, downplay it, pretend that things are the way they've always been and that it's impossible they could ever change. That totalizing element means that when someone acknowledges one uncomfortable reality - say, that there is a network of bad faith actors effectively attacking largely harmless media products in pursuit of wealth and power - it can begin to force questions about seemingly much more vital issues. The overwhelming urge to ignore anything that might occasion such questions, however, is a major reason we no longer have even a rudimentary shared reality to use as the starting point for building the kind of agreements and compromises that let a society function.

In short, dislike Star Wars all you want - I strongly disliked Obi-Wan, loathed Rise of Skywalker, and was disappointed by Mandalorian Season 3 - but base your opinions on the actual media text and don't try to downplay a coordinated hate campaign that is linked to much, much broader issues in modern society.
I don't disagree that one leads into other and is what helps create that feedback loop. Unfortunately we cannot get as deep into this conversation as one would like due to forum rules. So I'll just say that in the end social media however the loop is created is what is causing a large majority of issues not only with the box office, but also other societal issues.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OTOH, California’s Gov is not attacking DL, and from what I understand, DL is doing fine.

A lot of FL locals are influenced by the Gov, who spent a lot of time not only actively attacking WDW, but pushing the lies that WDW and TDO are harming children. How is Uni doing vs WDW? Uni is not being attacked.

In addition to all of that, a lot of people are actively avoiding FL for that specific reason, including some right here on this board.
Well maybe now that things are a bit more friendly on that front things will change for the better in the immediate term. Longer term, well we'll see.

BrianLo

I think the factor that several of you are not recognizing are how subjected to the misinformation spread by the (agreed) minority everyone is. This applies to the public as well. It’s not about one hateful YouTuber, it’s about the broader narrative that has been propagated by political and wall street opponents and pushed into the social media circuit.

A lot of you still seem to hold a misperceived belief the movies from last year were ‘progressive’. A lot of that is a drip fed lie you’ve accepted and likely haven’t actually watched the media you are referring to.

Nothing about most of last years movies were actually progressive unless you are 150 and feel Wizard of Oz or Mary Poppins pushes your boundaries too much. Disney is actually quite meek about pushing any boundary. The media from the 80’s and 90’s was a lot more progressive than it is now. There’s no way Mrs Doubtfire or 90’s Xmen cartoons would survive the current ‘standards’.

I’ll also own I haven’t seen Haunted Mansion, but I’m sure the same applies and that one often isn’t brought up as much as a target. Most of the movies weren’t that great last year, but they were all safe.

BrianLo

Actually I’ll go so far and say the only actual progressive movie last year was Elemental. Which was an allegory on immigrants and interracial couples. For kids at least, Poor things was great, but probably not what we’re talking about.

Little mermaid had absolutely nothing exciting. No, casting a black woman that absolutely everyone involved says was not the plan, she was cast because they were the best audition. Everyone who has seen that film says she’s just about the only thing good about it. Which I agree with. The CGI was unwatchable and it’s just another bad remake.

Marvels was super blasé. It’s all old comics material. Captain marvel is married to a man. It features a whole host of male support characters. It’s akin to saying Charlie’s angels has an agenda. Which is way more girl power driven, while this skirts more hero worship. It’s a strictly by the books adventure film. I actually liked the Marvels and think it was solid.

Indy was fine in so far as it’s grumpy Harrison Ford collecting another paycheque.

Wish is just mostly inert.

DKampy

OTOH, California’s Gov is not attacking DL, and from what I understand, DL is doing fine.

A lot of FL locals are influenced by the Gov, who spent a lot of time not only actively attacking WDW, but pushing the lies that WDW and TDO are harming children. How is Uni doing vs WDW? Uni is not being attacked.

In addition to all of that, a lot of people are actively avoiding FL for that specific reason, including some right here on this board.
IMO….that Disney is the enemy narrative reached the Governor of Florida who was interested in a presidential run…shows how much of a influence it has

LSLS

Its not as fringe as you think, you're discounting how main stream its really become over the last decade. I can't say more otherwise that will get into a topic that we're not allowed to talk about on this site.

As for the rest, I'm not disappointed at all in how things have progressed. Things take time and I understand that. Do I wish some things would progress faster, of course. But that is not how things in society necessarily move, they can, but not always.

I will disagree with you on what you call "crap". If some such as yourself didn't like it, I'm cool with that as that is just a matter of personal taste. Do I consider it was 100% top tier quality work, no. But I'm sorry I don't consider it "crap" either.
I'm just not sure I'm convinced it's THAT large a group that it would significantly show up in the box office. I mean, if it was, why is Inside Out 2 blowing up? Why did Barbie (which had WAY more of that stuff than any Disney movie) do huge numbers? I don't think any of us are discounting it is there, and I doubt you'd get much argument that it's much louder than it used to be (heck I'd bet Walter and I are very much on your side of a lot of political stuff that we are not going to get into based on how he has posted in other topics). But I just can't get behind the idea that Disney has seen movies doing like half of normal is based on that. I do think people have had their trust in the brand eroded so that they will not blindly show up anymore. But I also think a large section of that is because of the stuff that is much more justifiable (bad movies/shows, perceived greediness, etc. Sorry, kind of lumping in their troubles at the parks as well). And I honestly think the price point at movies is a bigger thing than is made out to be as well. A lot of families can't afford to go to a movie each weekend. Or maybe not even once a month.

BrianLo

I'm just not sure I'm convinced it's THAT large a group that it would significantly show up in the box office. I mean, if it was, why is Inside Out 2 blowing up? Why did Barbie (which had WAY more of that stuff than any Disney movie) do huge numbers? I don't think any of us are discounting it is there, and I doubt you'd get much argument that it's much louder than it used to be (heck I'd bet Walter and I are very much on your side of a lot of political stuff that we are not going to get into based on how he has posted in other topics). But I just can't get behind the idea that Disney has seen movies doing like half of normal is based on that. I do think people have had their trust in the brand eroded so that they will not blindly show up anymore. But I also think a large section of that is because of the stuff that is much more justifiable (bad movies/shows, perceived greediness, etc. Sorry, kind of lumping in their troubles at the parks as well). And I honestly think the price point at movies is a bigger thing than is made out to be as well. A lot of families can't afford to go to a movie each weekend. Or maybe not even once a month.

I think the D+ Pixar strategy also killed a large part of their reliable audience.

We saw this unwinding with Elemental. Once the word got out it was both good and I suspect staying in theatres for more than 30-45 day window. Particularly if a movie wasn’t deemed to be that great it was very easy to say meh I’ll see in on D+ for free (as opposed to purchase it for the the inflation adjusted 50 dollars last decade).

I’m pleased IO2 is proving that wasn’t permanent. If anything streaming should be able to further fortify their audience. They just haven’t quite figured it out yet.

CinematicFusion

The weekend grossed 30% more than Father's Day weekend last year, when "The Flash" and "Elemental" both disappointed, according to THR.

The movie, a sequel to the 2015 film, grossed a massive $155 million domestically and grossed another $140 million overseas, the best-ever opening for an animated film in like markets, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well maybe now that things are a bit more friendly on that front things will change for the better in the immediate term. Longer term, well we'll see.
Honestly…that clown was just using them to drum up support and money in minutes 1-14…

And predictably…after the 15th minute expired it’s crickets

Wow…couldn’t see that coming

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And Barbie? And did Wish have that? I mean, Lightyear bombed long before people knew of that scene either. I just don't think it's making that large a difference. It is for some, but I am far from convinced that is the reason Disney had such an awful last year.
There’s an element of that for sure…

But I’ll say it again: it’s just low quality stuff that’s falling flat

Nobody should claim…”lightyear was good…but the word was out so the fringe killed it”

No…it was plodding…and long…and tried to reframe an old characters backstory.

That’s 3 strikes. The fact that gets greenlight for hundreds of millions of dollars is just insane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom