Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

BrianLo

One of the guys I work with said to me yesterday, I got my Taylor swift tickets. I said I thought you weren't really a Taylor swift fan. He said, I'm not, but it felt like a big event and I didn't want to miss out. That's the power of fomo.

The pre-sale sign up rate for Toronto represented 3/4 of the population of Canada. It was 3x higher than the population that lives within two hours drive of Toronto (including some large US cities).

Obviously there were scalpers, multi-sign ups and US citizens too. But it's not like the only choice was Canadian dates in that round.

I'm also not kidding that every girl under 35 at my work in BC (a five hour flight) was signed up independently and obviously willing to go. It truly is an event.

There's a joke that she could not actually play at the Super Bowl or else that event would break and there would not be actual sporting fans in attendance.

In my mild defence I did go to her 1989 tour too, but this one is something else entirely.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
The pre-sale sign up rate for Toronto represented 3/4 of the population of Canada. It was 3x higher than the population that lives within two hours drive of Toronto (including some large US cities).

Obviously there were scalpers, multi-sign ups and US citizens too. But it's not like the only choice was Canadian dates in that round.

I'm also not kidding that every girl under 35 at my work in BC (a five hour flight) was signed up independently and obviously willing to go. It truly is an event.

There's a joke that she could not actually play at the Super Bowl or else that event would break and there would not be actual sporting fans in attendance.

In my mild defence I did go to her 1989 tour too, but this one is something else entirely.

We also went to 1989 (her last time in Vancouver 😭).

Still holding out hope she will announce dates here…

Jedijax719

Looking more and more like Deadpool 3 will move out of its release date and possibly out of 2024 altogether.

2024 is looking absolutely disastrous! But that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
2024 is looking absolutely disastrous! But that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
Especially for films with a lot of SFX and CGI. Theoretically, one could 'quickly' film a movie that doesn't need SFX/CGI. But once you go CGI-heavy, there are huge speedbumps in the pipeline. Films to be released 2024 that are CGI heavy should be pretty much finished with principal photography now, and CGI work starting now.

And that ain't happenin'.

Maybe 2024 will be the return of "mid-budget" films of drama and romcoms.

DKampy

What's absolutely hilarious about that is I have just finished watching the trailer that Buddy posted. :oops:

Oh. My. Gosh. I had no idea. Sometimes you have to spell it out for me. But now, I'm dying. 🤣 🤣 🤣
To bring it back to Box Office… Bottoms made 3 million this weekend in only 715 theaters with the 2nd highest per theater average in the top 10(Equalizer was highest)…the movie was not originally projected in the top 10, but it entered at number 7….I feel they may push this wide soon

We will see what happens, but I feel like word of mouth is building… this could have the makings of a sleeper hit especially at only an 11 million budget

TP2000

The singalongs are a simply way to get a bit extra box office and be something fun for those who want to do them. Certainly fits for the core demographic for something like TLM.
Probably trying to goose the domestic number to $300m. It’s not going to get there otherwise.
You know, I had said in the TLM thread that it could get a rerelease if it gets nominated from some awards, just didn't think it would be for a sing-along lol.

We have our box office answer to the Little Mermaid sing-along offering. It didn't exactly goose the box office, it just sort of jiggled it a bit. It made a grand total of $806,179 at the box office, which gave Disney a profit of $483,707.

Which begs us to ask...

How much money did they spend on marketing for this sing-along? I hope it wasn't more than $483,707. :confused:

Try Singing Louder.jpg

Little Mermaid Sing-Along debuted in 1,600 US theaters on August 25th, and brought the domestic box office for Little Mermaid take to $297,334,602.

As of Monday September 4th, it is only playing in 260 US theaters, and it has brought the domestic box office take for Little Mermaid to $298,140,781.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We have our box office answer to the Little Mermaid sing-along offering. It didn't exactly goose the box office, it just sort of jiggled it a bit. It made a grand total of $806,179 at the box office, which gave Disney a profit of $483,707.

Which begs us to ask...

How much money did they spend on marketing for this sing-along? I hope it wasn't more than $483,707. :confused:

View attachment 740951

Little Mermaid Sing-Along debuted in 1,600 US theaters on August 25th, and brought the domestic box office for Little Mermaid take to $297,334,602.

As of Monday September 4th, it is only playing in 260 US theaters, and it has brought the domestic box office take for Little Mermaid to $298,140,781.
Wow…I didn’t not realize it was picked up in so many theaters?

Not surprised nobody watched it though…this is definition of insanity time now.

Vegas Disney Fan

We just got back from a European vacation and on my 20+ hours of flights, and dozens of movies to choose from, I didn’t finish a single Disney movie.

I loved Spiderman Multiverse (but was disappointed it was only the first half, not sure how I missed that detail), loved Mario Bros (so fun I watched it once going and watched it again returning), loved The Machine (insanely funny), enjoyed the new Puss in Boots (not my favorite in the series though), rewatched about 20 minutes of the new Guardians movie before getting bored, rewatched about 20 minutes of the new Pandora movie before getting bored, and watched the first 20 minutes of little mermaid before getting bored.

The one highlight for Disney was we watched the Haunted Mansion on the cruise and it’s arguably my favorite post pandemic Disney movie.

There wasn‘t a large Disney selection on Virgin Atlantic but what was available was either already on D+ or just not fun, this may be the first time I’ve been on a long plane ride and not spent the majority of the flights watching Disney movies, as a huge Disney fan I found that telling of their current struggles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom