Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

celluloid

Turtles has fallen off, never claimed it would fall out of theaters completely.

Also Halloween is not here yet, and HM is still in theaters on Labor Day.

Two things wrong with that from your own points.

Turtles has not fallen like you stated. It has actually stayed and surpassed 100 million. It has stayed in the range below Oppenheimer and Barbie for weeks and only now has gone to six. HM is what dropped and you claimed Turtles was likely to do a Ruby Gillman. It didn't. It is still there making money for a lower budget animation.

The Pre-Halloween is what you said. If it is not here yet, than Haunted Mansion missed out on that too, as evident by the fact that Talk to Me, which came out before the HM and rated R has shot back up far above HM. The Nun 2 and Haunting in Venice come out in the next couple of weeks. Now is the Pre-Halloween season of releases my friend. If it was any closer, it would just be called Halloween Season. That is October, and that is for The Exorcist and Five Nights at Freddy's. the latter being A dark comedy horror kids are actually interested in.

Labor Day Weekend is over, HM won't be screened in theaters at all in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

TP2000

Also Halloween is not here yet, and HM is still in theaters on Labor Day.

Haunted Mansion is now down to playing in 1,190 theaters nationwide today, from its original 3,740 theaters its opening week.

Today in those 1,190 theaters, Haunted Mansion only made $340,000 in box office, which gives Disney $200,000 in box office profit from those ticket sales on Labor Day Monday.

Haunted Mansion has lost Disney $167 Million so far. It was a massive box office flop, in the most classic use of the phrase.

celluloid

Haunted Mansion is now down to playing in 1,190 theaters nationwide today, from its original 3,740 theaters its opening week.

Today in those 1,190 theaters, Haunted Mansion only made $340,000 in box office, which gives Disney $200,000 in box office profit from those ticket sales on Labor Day Monday.

Haunted Mansion has lost Disney $167 Million so far. It was a massive box office flop, in the most classic use of the phrase.

It won't even match what Equalizer 3 will have made by the end of its run at a cost for Sony of 75 million.

It won't even match The Haunted Mansion movie that was a flop twenty years ago at 75 million domestic and a much higher number overseas.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Two things wrong with that from your own points.

Turtles has not fallen like you stated. It has actually stayed and surpassed 100 million. It has stayed in the range below Oppenheimer and Barbie for weeks and only now has gone to six. HM is what dropped and you claimed Turtles was likely to do a Ruby Gillman. It didn't. It is still there making money for a lower budget animation.

The Pre-Halloween is what you said. If it is not here yet, than Haunted Mansion missed out on that too, as evident by the fact that Talk to Me, which came out before the HM and rated R has shot back up far above HM. The Nun 2 and Haunting in Venice come out in the next couple of weeks. Now is the Pre-Halloween season of releases my friend. If it was any closer, it would just be called Halloween Season. That is October, and that is for The Exorcist and Five Nights at Freddy's. the latter being A dark comedy horror kids are actually interested in.

Labor Day Weekend is over, HM won't be screened in theaters at all in the coming weeks.
Turtles has done better than I thought it would. As for the Ruby reference, what I said was that Turtles will need to find legs if it wants to prevent having the same fate as Ruby, which it did. So Yay it found legs and didn't have the same fate as Ruby!

With regards to HM, what I said is if it can stick around to mid-September it could get a Halloween bump. We'll see if that happens or not. There is still no announced digital or streaming release date yet, so it may end up staying in theaters a bit longer. As has been mentioned earlier this thread older movies, like TLM and Elemental, are starting to get an increase in theater counts due to lack of newer releases caused by the strikes. Not saying it will, but could happen for HM too.

I know you disagree but we'll see what happens.

TP2000

It won't even match what Equalizer 3 will have made by the end of its run at a cost for Sony of 75 million.

It won't even match The Haunted Mansion movie that was a flop twenty years ago at 75 million domestic and a much higher number overseas.

What's fun about the 2003 vs. 2023 comparison of the two Haunted Mansion movies is that, adjusted for inflation, the 2003 production budget is exactly the same $157 Million budget the 2023 film had. So the comparison is even tidier and more glaringly obvious.

2003 Haunted Mansion was a flop that lost Disney $90 Million in 2023 dollars.

2023 Haunted Mansion was a mega-flop that lost Disney $160+ Million in 2023 dollars.

House Party.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Never claimed it would suddenly turn into a success, yep it's a flop no questioning that. All I mentioned in the HM thread was if it could stay in theaters until mid-September it could see a Halloween bump as families look for family friendly Halloween movies.

With no announced digital or streaming release dates yet, and theaters wanting to keep movies in theaters with the sparse release calendar, it may just hold onto a bunch of those 1000+ theaters it currently (or maybe even an increase) has for another couple weeks. So maybe that Halloween bump is possible, maybe not, we'll see.

celluloid

With regards to HM, what I said is if it can stick around to mid-September it could get a Halloween bump. We'll see if that happens or not. There is still no announced digital or streaming release date yet, so it may end up staying in theaters a bit longer. As has been mentioned earlier this thread older movies, like TLM and Elemental, are starting to get an increase in theater counts due to lack of newer releases caused by the strikes. Not saying it will, but could happen for HM too.

I know you disagree but we'll see what happens.
That would be a hard sale for anyone to deem it likely for a bump as new things people care to see to some degree are about to come out. Labor day is over and the bump of things shifting are done. Now it will be Nun 2, Haunting in Venice, The Barbie Re-release with extras/Imax, Taylor Swift and Exorcist...I would say Five Nights at Freddy's but I see HM being long gone before October 27nth.

With Ninja Turtles and Barbie being the only family offerings and there was a gap between those, Families would have taken their littles to the HM by now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That would be a hard sale for anyone to deem it likely for a bump as new things people care to see to some degree are about to come out. Labor day is over and the bump of things shifting are done. Now it will be Nun 2, Haunting in Venice, The Barbie Re-release with extras/Imax, Taylor Swift and Exorcist...I would say Five Nights at Freddy's but I see HM being long gone before October 27nth.

With Ninja Turtles and Barbie being the only family offerings and there was a gap between those, Families would have taken their littles to the HM by now.
We'll see what happens over the next week or two, and see if it remains in theaters. The lack of a digital and streaming release date is a sign that it at least remains in theaters for another week.

It doesn't affect me one way or the other if it doesn't happen. It was all part of the discussions surrounding the film.

celluloid

We'll see what happens over the next week or two, and see if it remains in theaters. The lack of a digital and streaming release date is a sign that it at least remains in theaters for another week.

It doesn't affect me one way or the other if it doesn't happen. It was all part of the discussions surrounding the film.

That's not a sign at all. Ninja Turtles can be purchased on digital at home right now. It is still there and performing at a healthy and obviously much better rate than HM. It was also known to be a part of the Paramount Plus streaming timeline all along.

HM just sucked eggs for them and continues to slide into oblivion. No bump ever happened.

Never look to Disney streaming as a sign of anything, they definitely don't have a clue what they are doing there.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's not a sign at all. Ninja Turtles can be purchased on digital at home right now. It is still there and performing better than HM.
For Disney its a sign, in 2023 at least a week before being removed from wide theaters Disney has announced digital and streaming release dates, if memory serves.

celluloid

For Disney its a sign, in 2023 at least a week before being removed from theaters Disney has announced digital and streaming release dates, if memory serves.

Nah. That never happened in any consistent way to rely on it. We live in a world where Streaming and theaters make some money simultaneously when it is a product desired.

If anything with Disney, they are probably struggling to decide what kind of calander release timeframe for all of their lacklusters to flops this year. That is a crowded situation and they don't want to put them on Disney Plus all at once.

If they don't do HM remake soon, oblivion it goes, but if Little Mermaid is sat on too long, harder to brag on it coming. Elemental, fades away.

My bet would be on Elemental or/and HM by October. That and Loki is what they are counting on to keep their October looking good. Then LM release or whatever else has not to help stretch out the drought.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nah. That never happened.

If anything with Disney, they are probably struggling to decide what kind of calander release timeframe for all of their lacklusters to flops this year. That is a crowded situation and they don't want to put them on Disney Plus all at once.

If they don't do HM remake soon, oblivion it goes, but if Little Mermaid is sat on too long, harder to brag on it coming. Elemental, fades away.
Both TLM and Elemental already are available for digital purchase, and both having a physical media release too. TLM has a D+ release date of Tuesday, but no Elemental D+ release date yet. Disney has been changing how it announces these release dates.

And yet HM still has not even had a digital release date yet, let alone no D+ release date. So yeah its safe to say its got at least another week in theaters, if not two.

celluloid

Both TLM and Elemental already are available for digital purchase, and both having a physical media release too. TLM has a D+ release date of Tuesday, but no Elemental D+ release date yet. Disney has been changing how it announces these release dates.

And yet HM still has not even had a digital release date yet, let alone no D+ release date. So yeah its safe to say its got at least another week in theaters, if not two.
No one ever said it would not make it two final weeks. You were just disagreed with on your bump theory in these two weeks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No one ever said it would not make it two final weeks. You were just disagreed with on your bump theory in these two weeks.
As I recall you said anyone will have a hard time find it playing anywhere after Labor Day, which I disagree with if its goes another week or two.

Anyways I'm fine if you disagree with my bump theory, and I'm fine if it doesn't happen. Again it doesn't affect me one way or the other, this is all just discussion.

celluloid

As I recall you said anyone will have a hard time find it playing anywhere after Labor Day, which I disagree with if its goes another week or two.

Anyways I'm fine if you disagree with my bump theory, and I'm fine if it doesn't happen. Again it doesn't affect me one way or the other, this is all just discussion.

It was only in about 1,000 theaters this weekend. (actually, it is likely only in 999 or so theaters, but there is no room for a thousand)Labor Day is over tomorrow. I bet you won't see it playing more than once a day at many theaters, and likely not at all if your local theater has less than 14 screens. My prediction held true as it was stated that most would.
You gotta face facts, or at least more often present things as opinion and not deflect so much by bringing up those things my friend.

I am glad you are fine. To stress over an incorrect prediction is silly. What you should perhaps practice is starting things with "What I see possibly happening..." more often.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Its only in about 1,000 theaters this weekend. Labor Day is over tomorrow. I bet you won't see it playing more than once at many theaters, and likely not at all if your local theater has less than 14 screens. My prediction held true.
You gotta face facts, or at least more often present things as opinion and not deflect so much by bringing up those things my friend.

I am glad you are fine. What you should perhaps practice is starting things with "What I see possibly happening..." more often.
Thank you, but my English is just fine with using "I think" or "I believe" or even "my opinion", which are all opinion qualifiers.

For the most part discussions on this board deal in opinion, so you should take it as such.

As for the rest, we'll see what happens. You have an opinion, and maybe its correct or maybe its wrong. I have an opinion, and maybe its correct or maybe its wrong. I honestly don't care which, as I'm just here for the discussion, which is never really all the serious.

celluloid

There is no"I think" or "I believe," in my opinion here
Thank you, but my English is just fine with using "I think" or "I believe" or even "my opinion", which are all opinion qualifiers.
It would be if you used them more. See above for most recent example. I can go with always implied for you if you would like, but when you get called out a lot on these boards, I see that as part of the reason. Just a suggestion. Take it with grace or don't. I just wanted to point it out.

celluloid

What's fun about the 2003 vs. 2023 comparison of the two Haunted Mansion movies is that, adjusted for inflation, the 2003 production budget is exactly the same $157 Million budget the 2023 film had. So the comparison is even tidier and more glaringly obvious.

2003 Haunted Mansion was a flop that lost Disney $90 Million in 2023 dollars.

2023 Haunted Mansion was a mega-flop that lost Disney $160+ Million in 2023 dollars.

View attachment 740978

Maybe in twenty years they will try another feature film attempt and lose 200 million!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There is no"I think" or "I believe," in my opinion here

It would be if you used them more. See above for most recent example. I can go with always implied for you if you would like, but when you get called out a lot on these boards, I see that as part of the reason. Just a suggestion. Take it with grace or don't. I just wanted to point it out.
LMAO, context matters, "a sign" in this context is an opinion from the point of view of the observer. You can take all my posts as opinion if you like, just as I've done with yours and others here.

Enjoy the rest of your Labor Day, and if you're outside the US enjoy the rest of your Monday, have a good night.

celluloid

LMAO, context matters, "a sign" in this context is an opinion from the point of view of the observer. You can take all my posts as opinion if you like, just as I've done with yours and others here.

Enjoy the rest of your Labor Day, and if you're outside the US enjoy the rest of your Monday, have a good night.
There is no need to be a "sign" of anything.
Research the phrase Correlation does not equal causation.

Thanks, I will!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom