Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Hawkeye_2018

MI might end up surpassing Indiana Jones domestically.

I'm still in awe of what Barbie is doing. Never would have guessed it would do these crazy numbers

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Somewhat shockingly WB has moved the Dune 2 release to March 2024, same month Elio is scheduled to open. Can’t say for sure it’ll hurt Elio’s box office prospects but it certainly won’t help.

I don't see the issue. Very different types of movies. Elio is for families, Dune is... not.

If anything, it may help Elio, if it can be a weekend like Barbie / Oppenheimer.

TP2000

Thursday preview box office. This upcoming weekend could be the weekend that Barbie beats out Super Mario Bros. at the global box office. But it will likely not be until Labor Day Weekend that Indy 5 gets beaten by Mission: Impossible.

Haunted Mansion goes into it's 4th weekend falling way down to 10th place already.

Burbank's Cruel Summer.jpg

TalkingHead

Gosh.
I don't see the issue. Very different types of movies. Elio is for families, Dune is... not.

If anything, it may help Elio, if it can be a weekend like Barbie / Oppenheimer.
I said it “won’t help Elio’s box office.” Amazing that some of you aren’t willing to acknowledge that another major blockbuster being released with weeks of a new Pixar movie isn’t going to do Disney any favors.

Pixar’s brand has always been more than PG-rated “family” audiences. Its appeal has been to adults who like good cinema, not to mention Dune is PG-13, same as Marvel movies that are allegedly “family friendly.” It features young stars who will certainly be of interest to some teens. I’m not saying Elio is sunk but another sci-fi blockbuster coming out within weeks of its release isn’t what Disney wanted to hear.

DKampy

Gosh.

I said it “won’t help Elio’s box office.” Amazing that some of you aren’t willing to acknowledge that another major blockbuster being released with weeks of a new Pixar movie isn’t going to do Disney any favors.

Pixar’s brand has always been more than PG-rated “family” audiences. Its appeal has been to adults who like good cinema, not to mention Dune is PG-13, same as Marvel movies that are allegedly “family friendly.” It features young stars who will certainly be of interest to some teens. I’m not saying Elio is sunk but another sci-fi blockbuster coming out within weeks of its release isn’t what Disney wanted to hear.
Yeah… it is too bad Barbie and Oppenheimer were released on the same day…. One is only becoming the top movie of the year and the other is only one of the biggest R rated movies of all time… leaving money on the table

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Yeah… it is too bad Barbie and Oppenheimer were released on the same day…. One is only becoming the top movie of the year and the other is only one of the biggest R rated movies of all time… leaving money on the table
First time we have agreed on something in a long time. I would like this post 100 times if I could.

BrianLo

Gosh.

On the flip side it significantly reduces competition for The Marvels and lesser Wish. Probably The Marvels would be the biggest direct comp, so I'm sure Disney is overall pleased.

The real movie that needs to move is Trolls 3. It won't, but it's put itself in a really bad position.

mf1972

after finally watching the flash tonight on max, i can see why it flopped. overall just a mess & a terrible movie. seeing keaton again as batman is the only saving grace the film had.

wtyy21

Thursday preview box office. This upcoming weekend could be the weekend that Barbie beats out Super Mario Bros. at the global box office. But it will likely not be until Labor Day Weekend that Indy 5 gets beaten by Mission: Impossible.

Haunted Mansion goes into it's 4th weekend falling way down to 10th place already.

View attachment 739278
I expected in the next few months, depending whether the film be released in Japan or China's box office numbers (usually world's biggest Hollywood market), Oppenheimer might be the second highest grossing box office this year. Sadly, at the same time, Haunted Mansion may be out of top 10 domestic.

TP2000

Weekend box office is in, with not much new as late summer is the studio dumping ground of mediocre movies.

But as we head toward Labor Day Weekend and the end of summer, this weekend did pretty much cement into place the rankings that Disney's mega-budget movies will land for 2023. Here's the domestic box office take for calendar year 2023 as of this past weekend.

Oppenheimer just edged Mermaid out of the #5 spot for the year. It looks like by Labor Day, Mission: Impossible will bump Indy 5 out of the Top 10. Ouch.

Top 14.jpg

And then down at #26 is Haunted Mansion, whose box office already totally collapsed. It's going to be a $150 Million loss for Disney. But on the bright side, at least it beat out Rachel Zegler's previous flop Shazam.

Going To Number 26 With A Bullet.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom